advice on 3-way chescold

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2623 Views:2608 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I've just bought a 3 way 40l chescold fridge. I'm happy with the operation on 12v and 240v, however, this afternoon i fired it up on gas for the first time, (after it had been pluged in all day), and the smell that emitted from it was disgusting, it almost smelt like an electrical motor burning smell. Is this normal, or does it go away after a while? And no, it's not still pluged in. And also I am considering whether to get the extended warranty, 3years $80. In their disclaimer they really leave it up to the technicians discretion whether they honour it or not. Are chescold (electrolux) reliable in the warranty area? Is it worth getting the extra warranty? Thank in advance.. Andrew.......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
Andrew, I would imagine the smell is just the paint on the inside of the boiler 'maturing'.
I would not even consider the extended warranty, as the Chescold are a well made rugged product that have an excellent track record.

It is however impertive when you stop they are level. I would suggest you get a round bubble level, normally Johnston brand is available, and find a place that you can see from the drivers seat, and affix the level there, so when you pull up anywhere, you can ensure it is on a level surface. Yes, level means level, not 3° or 5°. Often it is only a matter of moving forward or back a double hand full of centermeteres.
AnswerID: 9793

Reply By: georg - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew, the smell will leave as soon as the protectant on the inside of the flue burns away,, warranty?? type in fridges and or chescold into the search program on this forum,,you will see how well the product performs and get some idea of its exceptional longevity, bias, of course i'm biased, i've got one.
AnswerID: 9796

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00

Andrew I have an old Finch (old = >20 years I think) and it works brilliantly on all 3 sources and has no smell on gas. You won't need to wait 20+years either. I think the key to their longevity is that there are no moving parts to wear or shake loose. By the way I think Finch and Chescold are closely related. I wouldn't get the extra warranty.
AnswerID: 9804

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
Don't know about the smell, but looks like the others covered that. I personally wouldn't worry about the extended warranty, Chescolds are good and reliable.

I found the Chescold to be probably the best "gas" fridge I've used. The one we used struggled on 12V, but 240 and gas, brilliant. The one thing we did notice on the Chescold though, was it was probably the one that really need to be set up correctly. Once it was flat, brilliant.
AnswerID: 9819

Reply By: CJ - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

I wouldn't worry about extended warranty and the smell should go away - there has been a lot of discussion about 3 way fridges before - try doing a 'search' using 'Sadec' to get some info on simple mods to improve frig performance.
quote .......
no doubt all the replies you have got will have answered your query. The frig only needs to be level when running on gas - I generally level it by eye ! My Sadec frosts up the element on 12v (which it never did before) but I haven't done a check of actual temps. The combination of fan, extra insulation and heavy 12v power cable certainly made a considerable change to the inside temp of my frig.
AnswerID: 9829

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks everyone, just what i wanted to hear! Andrew
AnswerID: 9853

Sponsored Links