packing light

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2627 Views:1606 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Wife and two 8 year old daughters will be my passengers on the Holland track in April. How can I pack enough food and water etc when on a 2 day trip the jack is bulging? Storage _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx and roof rack will be in use.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
Terry what are you taking with you that you are out of space?
AnswerID: 9816

Follow Up By: Member - Terry- Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

In reality it seems that there are always too many clothes and pillows and extra of everything.The wife likes to live comfortably as she calls it,and even after halving everthing the jack is still full.
FollowupID: 5141

Reply By: Will - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Terry,
I have two daughters a little older than yours, let me tell you that there is no such think as packing light when you have women and girls with you.
Having said that, try to leave anything not absolutelly necesary, you will also find that besides spares and amount of food, the rest is the same wether you go for a weekend or a month.
I have now managed to get them to consider what they want to take when we go away.
Only pack light stuff on the roof rack ie: sleeping gear.

Will
AnswerID: 9824

Will, obviously you understand my dilema, your points are much appreciated and will be used.
FollowupID: 5143

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Terry,

My understanding is that the Holland Track can be comfortably traversed in a couple of days...4 at most it you really took your time. I'd ring ahead to Hyden and find out what supplies are available when you're going through and (re)stock up with food and water there. Take only what you need plus some emergency rations. At the other end in the goldfields, you shouldn't have any trouble restocking particularly if you're going into Kalgoorlie.

Hope this is of some help.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 9827

Even though the track can be traversed in 4 days or less the problem of being prepared can be taken to the extreme
FollowupID: 5142

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

In terms of food for a 2 day trip, prepare the 2 dinners at home and pack ready to cook, or even pre-cooked. For breakfasts, take measured amounts of cereal (all eat the same variety and store in a single container). Buy small versions of vegemite, and condiments etc and keep for small trip camping use (and transfer from home jars into the travel jars). For snacks, take food without packaging, such as dried fruits, nuts, fresh fruit and store in lunch boxes. For lunches, keep it simple and go for cruskits with cheese, sliced ham, tomato etc kept in tupperware (style) containers in the car fridge (or esky). Put a 3L plastic milk bottle, or similar full of water in the car fridge plus give each person their own drink bottle to keep besides them in the car (preferably something that will keep cold, ie. not plastic). From Big W/Kmart etc look for appropriate sized plastic jerry cans for carry bulk water. Some have taps and if you keep it near the back door can be easy to get at.

Then, tell all the girls that the whole family is sharing toiletries so there is no duplication of items and is going without showers for the 2 day trip. A sponge bath for necessary bits will be sufficient.

Games, toys, should all be left behind. Try to concentrate on talking as a family, observing wildlife, reading and understanding the history of the track and collecting, all can be done without taking things from home.

Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 9843

Follow Up By: Brian - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Terry
First of all I have done the Holland a couple of years ago now and found it an interesting trip. Caution is needed if there has been a bit of rain.
I gather you are talking Jackaroo.......I have a 1990 Jack and with _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx find plenty of room although there is just the 2 of us (wife and self) your main prob is the extra person???/ a quick story might help you feel better?? When my 2 kids were young (early teen ages ) I told them to limit their 'EXTRAS" to 1 coles bag each when we set up my oldest started to "TIDY" herself up and I asked how did she fit the hair dryer and iron in with her extra's she replied that these are essional items???
sorry but you can't win mate ...........have a good trip
Brian
FollowupID: 5179

Reply By: member-skippyking - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Terry,

did the HT at Easter this year with wife and 2 tweeny (7 & 11) daughters in a Jack. I had my own style _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx in the back and a roof rack. Roof rack had 6man tent and 4 swags(sleeping bags inside). Had a 39L Chescold and 40L of water, 4 chairs,table,stove,gas bottle etc. It all fit and the girls had a clean shirt, underwear and socks for each day (5 days), jacket for the cold,two jumpers, two pairs pants and two pairs shorts. Sturdy boots each. Make sure it is in a duffel type bag as this can be 'shaped/stuffed' into any space. Back seat had pillows between the girls and the one thing we don't leave behind is the 'Michelles Sac's' organiser that straps to the back of each front seat for all their colouring books, reading books, pencils etc. All the other replies you have received are spot on for anything else. It's amazing how much you can fit under seats, behind them, flatter things on the rear floor........

Most of all, have a great trip. It's fantastic. Don't rush it if you don't have to.

Grant
AnswerID: 9970

Sponsored Links