vehicle spares to carry (diesel)

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2630 Views:1784 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Moving to NW WA and doing some travelling on the way around and wondering what are some advisable spare parts to carry for a Toyota 60 series deisel. There are obviously some essentials like spare belts and hoses, pucture repair kit but what other parts (possibly obscure) have people found very handy to have with them?

-felix
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00
We always carry a length of fencing wire, twitching wire and some duct tape. After hitting a roo near Broken Hill years ago, the front end of our sedan was practically held together using these items and some lumps of wood.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 9826

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

we have just returned from travelling around wa and we went to newman i would put in a fuel filter, oil filter, wiper blades and carry lots of water. plastic zip ties, different sizes they are cheap and can be used for everything, car tent, roofrack these are great, good garbage bags too.

have a good time.
AnswerID: 9828

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

G'day felix, I have traelled 420,000k on a 2H deisel and apart from replaceing the alternator and the copper seal under the bleed screw on the injector pump both at 400,000 only ever had to change belts and hoses, oh and new brushes in the starter, never had a thing go wrong.

But I do carry wheel bearings, king pin bearings and a complete set of seals (diff, wheel, transfer etc). Also carry a spare CV joint on harder trips.

I reckon if you change all your belts and hoses before you go and carry your old ones as spares you should be a long way in front of the usual problems.
AnswerID: 9831

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Basically take nothing in the way of spares. I always change my belts, radiator and heater hoses at 100,000k or 30 months, service the alternator, starter motor and air conditioning compressor at 130,000k or 36 months, change *all* fluids every twelve months, change main battery every 24 months, and deep cycle battery every 16 months. Take a small amount of electrical wire, cable ties, insulation tape, gaffa tape, set of R/OE spanners, 3/8" drive socket set, hammer, pair tyre levers, vice-grips, crimp terminals and crimpers, pliers and few other bits and pieces. To date, thankfully have never had a break down. Proper planned maintainence is far better than lugging spares which you will never use. As Murphy rules, what breaks you will not have. Motoring Organisation (RACQ, RACV) extra care is probably the best value spares you can take.
AnswerID: 9832

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Change all hoses, belts, fluids before you go.

Then take the old ones as spares.

Ya gotta take basics, like belts and hoses, duct tape, wire and oils, brake fluid, few rolls of wire, crimp tool and wire connectors. cable ties, WELL STOCKED TOOLBOX!..

If you take nothing with you your askin for problems...
AnswerID: 9834

Spare keys for car, and hint, remove padlock off your spare before you leave, then theres no losign the key.

Lots of Tag A Long Tours require you to do this.. Amazing how many have no key with them for the spare tire!
AnswerID: 9835

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Good idea to wire a spare key underneath the vehicle somewhere so you can get to it if you are locked out of the vehicle. Make sure you put it out of sight though. I followed a fourbie home one day, the whole way I could see his spare key swinging around underneath the car. Had "steal me" written all over it!!!
FollowupID: 5124

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Been caught on this one myself. Very embarising to have to borrow a spare from someone when your own is locked with a massive padlock to the spare wheel carrier.
FollowupID: 5135

Reply By: Alpaca - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Spare wheel studs are another useful item. The front and rear studs on the 60series are different length's I also carry various bolts and screws in case something comes loose. An old 12v battery drill with alligator clips to connect to the battery and a set of drill bits to suit is also handy.
No 1 thing to pack is a manual.If I can't fix it, hopefully a fellow traveller will be able to help. If you can accomadate the bits and pieces in the spares department, at least you can get help somewhere or other.
I keep my spare hoses and belts in the jack and tool kit recess plus whatever else I can cram in.
AnswerID: 9836

Fuses and globes too....
AnswerID: 9856

Reply By: bruce.h - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Gday Felix
if you are traveling on your own,you should always carry a set of glow plugs ect. also carry some way of charging or jump starting batteries as deisel are apian in the but if batteries go flat,as to the more obscure items i would add a fuseable link to the list becauce if it goes nothing in the car will work full stop.i aways carry brake fluid incase of roll over because most time the car is still driveable as long as you can top up the fluids. as to other stuff you could go on for ever, the bit you need will always be the one you dont have so don,t go over board,
regards Bruce .
AnswerID: 9870

Reply By: Nordave - Tuesday, Dec 17, 2002 at 01:00

Some good advice here. I have travelled around the North west for 30 years and have always carried the so called essentials. Hoses, belts etc. I have never in all that time used any of them. Every time I have had a problem it been someting else you would never dream you may need. The insulation tape and wire with a few corks etc have always fixed my problems. (except the time I blew a head gasket many years ago in my last ever petrol 4wd and blew the top off the radiator) Regular maint is the answer, but I still cant stop myself carrying the hoses etc. Dont know if you ever saw the TV progam about bush mechanics but that was an eye opener.
AnswerID: 9872

Follow Up By: Felix - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
yes i did see a few episodes of that show but i don't know if i am willing to remove my roof to act as a trailer!!! pretty amazing though.

thanks all for your words of experience but like most have said, whatever i don't bring will be what i should have brought.

-felix
FollowupID: 5145

Sponsored Links