What clothes to pack?

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2651 Views:2039 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have enjoyed and learnt a lot reading the contributions to this forum.

My wife and I with our two children 6&8 are just about to embark on our big one around australia. We will be gone indefinately at at least for twelve months.

One of the simple things that is causing some discussion is..What clothes do we take?...I am all for "less is more", however I would like to hear from someone who has experienced the climatic difference in Australia and to tell me what they use and didnt use.

Cheers

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
We did 10 months. Lived outdoors for the most of it so high wear and tear from travelling and rough Caravan-Park washing machines.

You are right - Less is More. My advice would be to take very little & buy/replace as you go along.

We used the occasional fleece/waterproof/down jacket for Tassie but shorts/Tshirt type of thing was the go for most of the time. Nights in the Western Deserts during winter were cold & frosty. One set of nicer clothes in case you get to meet the ambassador!

Didn't need all the extra sets of clothes that we 'might have needed'. 10 pairs of socks? Leave em behind!

Enjoy!
AnswerID: 9908

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Ian,

You don't need to pack your entire wardrobe but make sure you are covered for all climates. In the outback it can get very cold at night, but still reach daytime temps of high 30's, low 40's.

Go for wash and wear clothing. Anything that needs ironing, leave behind except for maybe one good outfit each. Personally, I like cotton because it washes easily, dries quickly, breathes and doesn't cling like some synthetics do.

Washing on the road can be done easily...simply 2/3 fill a large bucket with water and washing detergent, put your clothes in and replace the lid. This will agitate and wash as you drive along. When you get to your destination, rinse and hang out to dry. If you do this daily or every second day, you won't need so many changes of clothes and save $$$ on washing machines (which can quickly add up).

Another simple but effective method of washing if you are stopped for a few days, is to fit am ordinary toilet plunger with a longer handle and use this to agitate your washing in a bucket. Really simple and very effective.

Hope this helps,

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 9910

Reply By: Axel - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Have to agree with Rob ,less is best ,can always buy more /replace,, remember a time my beloved took 10pairs of shoes for a 10 day trip,,we were on the B.M.W. R100 R [m/cycle] , only wore the bike boots ,
AnswerID: 9911

Reply By: ken d - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Ian

Clothes that are comfortable when layered are handy, especially when heading for inland areas.
For example a singlet, tee shirt, close fitting fleece, long sleeve cotton then a windbreak are a good combo.
A big heavy jacket for example is bulky to pack, and when you take it off you go from hot to cold if you're doing any sort of effort.
Thermal underwear is handy and not too bad for cold nights sleeping, (I'd rather feel silly than cold), it also packs very small.
Speaking of which, roll your clothes instead of folding and you get more space, dunno how, but it works.
Beenies are good value.

In warmer areas it depends on how long you're going to be in the sun.
Loose long sleeve drill cotton shirts are pretty good, and long term are more confortable that sun cream if you're in the dust and can't get a decent wash, they're also good when the mossies come out..
Work clothing, King Gee Yakka etc is pretty hard wearing, not too bad to clean, and doesnt look too out of place.
If you intend to work your way around Aus long cotton clothing with a colar is also a minimum requirement on many work sites up North.
Lace up Workboots aren't bad for hiking, reasonably well priced, and you may need them.

Of course, in the end, it all depends on what sort of lifestyle you are going to be leading, but if you're travelling it will be a good one.

Cheers
Ken
AnswerID: 9915

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

1 good pair of slacks
1 good shirt to match
1 good pair of sock to match
1 good pair of shoes to match.

2 pair of Oliver boots
2 pairs of jeans
2 pairs of shorts
5 pair underpants
1 100 wool short sleeved vest
1 light weight cotton thermal vest short sleeved
2 cotton sleevless vests
4 pairs Explorer socks
5 shirts - 2 light cotton long sleeve, 1 winter weight long sleeve, 2 short sleeved
1 long sleeved woolen jacket (not to heavy)
1 shower proof jacket light weight
1 tracksuit
1 pair slip on type thongs that can get wet (good for showering etc)
1 wide brimmed hat

Only take one sheet and one doona cover and then wash them on a day you know they are going to dry.
1 x wool blanket
1 x doona and cover
1 x fitted bottom sheet
4 x pillow slips
2 sets of towels

My wife basically takes much the same in clothes with a couple of dresses (yes, only two) thrown in.

We have one of those little round pressure washers, and it works so well and uses so little water. I had seen them, and always wondered how they worked. We were given it as a present, and now we wold not be without it. We use Biozet soap powder as it takes very little water to rinse it out, and gets the clothes clean. As we are often dumping the water in the bush, it contains virtually zero phosphorous and is biodegradeable.

We do have a high pressure gas fitting inside the caravan that takes a very small round gas heater. We do not use it much, but has been invaluable when you sometimes get ten days at a time of drizzley weather and you cannot get the towels and stuff dry. We always make sure there is sufficient ventilation, as this is not a balanced flue device. We did see at the recent caravan show a great diesel fired air heater that used on full power equivenlent to 2400w electric heater only 120gms of diesel an hour. Was impressive, and may buy one and fit it. Was very compact and light.
AnswerID: 9917

Reply By: royce - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

BIG TIP!!!!! Pack your clothes into clear strong plastic bags. You can then reach in and find anything you want by looking through the sides. We often have to stop at a Kmart etc. to pick up a pair of shorts or whatever. Op shops too! It's all part of the fun. Cheers Royce
AnswerID: 9927

Sponsored Links