Scotty Postings

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2653 Views:1328 Replies:16 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Ok,

Now I put it to you guys that use the system. What do I do about this?

1. Dispable the email address from the system.
2. Delete the posts and replies as they arrive.
3. Do nothing and wait till he goes away.

David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00
David,

KICK HIM OFF!!! And the sooner the better.

As a regular visitor to this forum, I quite frankly found Scotty's remarks and attitude towards yourself & Michelle and other users offensive. We don't need his sort of contribution. In my opinion, you need to act quickly and decisively to knock this sort of behaviour on the head before it starts to permeate. A bit of good natured banter or differences of opinion are one thing, but Scotty has taken it too far.

Regards, Melissa
AnswerID: 9931

Reply By: Member - Gary - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

David, Deleting the email address will probably not solve the problem as he will just register under another email account. By deleting the posts and replies it is adding to your workload. Probably the best, but hardest, thing is for all of us to just ignore any thing he posts. If he does not get a response it will be boring for him and he will hopefully fade away. So come on all you sensible forum users just take a deep breath and ignore the guy.

AnswerID: 9932

Follow Up By: Mikeys - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
Gary, my feelings exactly. He's just after attention and being rude, juvenile or idiotic is the best way to get it. Tragically, most people's reaction is bite back and it is hard not to give in to that. Come on all you parents, we all know the best thing to do when the 2 year old is throwing a tantrum is to ignore them. MikeyS
FollowupID: 5184

Follow Up By: Mikeys - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

And David, I think you should delete the rubbish when it comes in if you have the time. Some people can't resist the temptation to reply so they need to be saved from themselves. MikeyS
FollowupID: 5185

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

David.
Scotty sounds like a young person with a problem, He siad his dad uses the forum so lets hope that when dad reads the post he will take the nesesary action. While you're there do you want us to correct factual errors in postings or not? an example was the story about deap cycle batteries having to be completely discharged before charging. Eric.
AnswerID: 9933

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002 at 01:00

Please correct anything you find as incorrect in any part of the system. Not only the forum but if you find anything in the content that you believe is incorrect then please let us or the forum poster know.

David
FollowupID: 5176

Reply By: Axel - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David, its your site, only you can decide, however I dont think option 3 will work ,school holidays and the kid is bored already,, treat it like the graffiti that it is and use option 1 and 2 ,when the graffiti artist paints his/her name it gives them pleasure to see their handywork,paint over it quick ,they soon give up,,,
AnswerID: 9936

Reply By: Hedonist - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David,
If you can afford the time, I would advocate deleting the offensive postings as they arrive, followed up with a private message explaining why the material is unacceptable. If this doesn't work, block his access.

Do you have a code of conduct accessable on the site somewhere to spell out the ground rules?

Cheers,
Pete
AnswerID: 9937

Follow Up By: Hedonist - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Finally found the conduct rules in amongst the leagal guff on the 'terms & conditions' link... Took me a while! ;-)
FollowupID: 5180

Reply By: Bernie - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David I agree 100% with Gary's (reply 2) comments .
good natured banter is OK
but replys should not waste other people's time slagging others .
We all choose our Vehicle / fridge's & mods etc usually after a lot of thought and how much we can afford
& after comming here to check what others think, this is just one of the things that makes this site so good.

PS I like my choice of 4wd & going bush with others no matter what make they choose to drive.

have a Safe & Happy Christmas to all.
AnswerID: 9938

Reply By: bruce.h - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David
question is if you block or remove where do you stop.&how do you know what offends one might not offend another,lets face it i think scottywas dlet with very well by all uses nobodies going to hang round if they are pulled up by heaps of people this is evident inthe fact that after short time scotty stoped rplying to posting against him.2 things top people being ignored or being taken to task.if you ban him he will find another way to disrupt this forum ie hacking into the site.
Rgards Bruce
AnswerID: 9939

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

ps any way of adding spell checker to replys i type faster than i spell
FollowupID: 5181

Reply By: Member - Cruiser1 - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David,
It's all been said, really. Certain amount of merit in most replies so far.

Interestingly, some people might see this as an attempt to stifle Freedom of Speech. Unfortunately those who will (any time now!) use this as a defence tend to conveniently forget about the rights of others not having to put up with that kind of rubbish.

I think a combination of options might be appropriate here: We forum users ignore the stuff, you delete as you see it, and if it continues for more than a day simply block his email address. If it's his own he'll soon get sick of having to set up new addresses. If he's using his Dad's account, he might face some questions (and a thick ear!) if Dad's access is sudenly blocked!
AnswerID: 9940

Follow Up By: Member - Cruiser1 - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Oops! Suddenly I can't spell..... :)
FollowupID: 5182

Reply By: Jack - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David:
I tend to lean towards the principle of leaving it there. I read it and thought the guy was a "goose". I am sure most others reading it would feel similarly. I think it is called "stewing in your own juice". Once he cools down he may even email you and ask you to remove it as he realises the stupidity of his actions.
And .. congratulations on the forum. I posted an 80 Series landcruiser headlights query and received valuable and informative replies within hours. It's a great service.
Merry Christmas to all.
John
AnswerID: 9942

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David & Michelle,

This is a great site and I congratulate both of you. There will be times when immature or angry people will post unsavoury material. I believe that generally it would be best to privately reply to the sender and advise that the language/sentiments are innapropriate and include a copy of the 'code of conduct'. If the sender then continues to abuse the site I believe that you should suspend his/her email address.

Members and visitors to the site,

The best deterrent is to ignore any inflammatory postings. Replying only gives the sender impetus to continue with his/her behaviour.

This is one of the best sites on the web and daily log in to receive knowledge, wisdom, ideas, help and sometimes just plain old fun. Let's not be distracted from the purpose of this forum by a few individuals who have not yet learnt how much they can gain, and possibly how much they can give, as they grow wiser and more experienced.

Happy 4 wheeling

Woodsy
AnswerID: 9943

Reply By: sean - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

I thought his posts were humourous. With regard to Landrovers, maybe he has a valid point -maybe he has not. Only debate will tell and debate on public forums is not always pretty. Lets face it, Landrovers DID have losts of problems. DO they NOW??????. I have less respect for those that returned the abuse. Dont get sucked in. Lead by example!!!!

Have a merry xmas and safe new year

God Bless........

Sean
AnswerID: 9945

Reply By: MikeyS - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

David, one further thought. Perhaps all responsible users (hopefully I am one of them) should be vigilant for posts that we think are likely to turn sour and alert you to them with a message line like "POSSIBLE MELTDOWN". Something of an early defense mechanism. Obviously the resources of the responsible users combined are much greater than yours alone (combined we never sleep). These unfortunate little incidents leave a bad taste in (nearly) everyone's mouth so I think we all have some obligation to act. MikeyS
AnswerID: 9948

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Can you ban his IP from the Forum?

Another way to get rid of him is to report him to his ISP that usually works, I bet he is abusing his TOA with them. they will cancel his account.

Get him ars$eholed that way, then you dont have to do any work...

If you want an abusive pack of yobs there are other forums for that, this ones just right... Not church like, but not Bosnia either.. its just right...
AnswerID: 9950

Reply By: Michelle Jacka - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

For those of you that never saw the actual post that was deleted, it was a new question and did not yet contain any responses. However, the content was not written as a question but as a a distasteful attempt at humuour using various analogies involving one's rear end and was simply a statement. For the 2 reasons, one that it was NOT legitimate question and 2, that it could have offended other readers, we agreed to delete it.

Scotty now asks why others can say opinionated things and not be deleted and that's because they have replied to legitimate questions and the questions themselves have been valid. We don't necessarily condone all the responses people give but its excellent to see such a wide range of responses come to certain qns.

We actually can't remove sections of posts (at the moment) and so if action is going to be taken by us, its a decision to either leave the entire thread or delete the entire thread. In fact, I don't think we've ever deleted an entire thread, only quickly extinguished a new "question" if it contained swearing, blatant abuse or could be offensive.

I would like to do nothing and let "him" go away. If he doesn't then "delete his email validation, disabling him from obtaining visitor status".
AnswerID: 9954

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks Michelle,

I have only one small problem with disabling a users account or email address from the system. I have not yet had to write it, hence the provision to perform this step is not currently available. I will do it if the need arises as Scotty seems to have gone away for the moment.

To the Forum users please let me know if this user returns and lodging his rubbish postings and I will make the required system changes. It will not take long to implement.

Thanks to all for the posts on this one. I will wait to see if he returns. I also like the idea of a warning button on the threads that will alert us to a possible issue. I may implement this and make it only available to Members.

David
FollowupID: 5189

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Warning button could get you a lot of work if someone had the $hits...

they could pop it on everytread.. again leading to abuse.

this has happened once so far, I dont see the need to panic yet..

KUTGW!
FollowupID: 5190

Reply By: jim - Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00

Hello David,
I've never posted before but I enjoy reading the forum, thought I'd give my opinion on this.
When I first started reading the thread I got a laugh out of this joker but as I read further down it started to get personal and wasn't in good taste. Having said that if you don't like it don't read it, He can't hurt anyone with his stupidity over the internet and he's probably going to crawl back under his rock when he realises what sort of a loser he has appeared to be.

Everyone else has said but I'll say it again anyway TOP SITE AND GOOD WORK!!

Regards, Jim.
AnswerID: 9958

Reply By: ROX - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00
#1  I find that if you ignor bullies etc they get bored and move on. He also wants to see us creating a big "link" like this one and that is what he wants. Great fourm!!
AnswerID: 10016

Sponsored Links