Is putting tyre on bullbars dangerous?

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 19, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2665 Views:1774 Replies:7 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I was wondering about the safety issues of putting a tyre/rim on the front of my troopy bullbar; I have seen this done but am wondering whether it may result in animals being deflected into the windscreen &/0r reduce the effectievness of the bullbar by concentrating the force of impact over a smaller area(which it will obviously do) ; what are peoples opinions?

cheers

adam
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jack - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00
HI Adam:
I am a non-techno/mechanical type, but my biggest reservation would be having that mass of metal and rubber in front of my radiator, and possible overheating problems. Not sure if this *is* a consideration, but it would concern me.
Merry Christmas
Jack
AnswerID: 9992

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

I think I could quite safely say that in N.S.W. and Victoria now it would be illegal.
Legalities aside, it would need to be a strong bull bar, and secondly is a substantial amount of extra weight on that front part of the chassis. What is more, it is at an extended distance from the front of chassis, and the leverage could do quite a bit of chassis damage. Your front suspension would also suffer.
FollowupID: 5218

Reply By: Truckster - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

about the only car Ive seen it on was the old Kombi!

I wouldnt do it, I think you would get raped by the bacon for pedistrain saftey issues.. Or they would make something up..

Other things said are true, suspension would suffer..
AnswerID: 9998

Reply By: flappan - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Adam, just wouldn't do it.

Not only because yep, I believe it would be now illegal, as others mentioned, effective cooling could be compromised.

Get a proper Swingway unit on the back. Do it right the first time.
AnswerID: 10003

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Adam, just think of the extra strain it would put on the bull bar brackets, and cut down on your visibility over the bonnet for a bit of rough stuff.

FORGET IT. Go for the swingaway carrier on the back.

Tony.
AnswerID: 10005

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

Agree with everyone else's comments...

Saw an absolute beauty a couple of weeks ago down the South West of WA. A Troopy with 2 spare wheels mounted vertically above the windscreen from the front of the roofrack. Rack was suspended on scrub bars but even so...Would have been worth seeing them get them up and down. Wouldn't want to drop one - straight thru the windscreen.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 10008

Reply By: damien - Friday, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:00

I think it's illegal to have anything protruding past the front of the bullbar.
This includes such items as lights & rod holders, so i certainly think a spare wheel would be illegal.
AnswerID: 10013

Reply By: Member - Willem- Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
I dismantled my roofrack and rollbars and I made up a spare wheel frame from 1.3mm sheet metal and bolted it to the bonnet of my Nissan G60. The Nissan seats give me a high view over the bonnet but there is a blind spot on the left hand side. My HF aerial helps to define that perimeter. I carry a 750/16 tyre, tube and dust cover but no rim. The tyre is held in place by ratchet straps. So far it has proved to be quite sturdy. The tube has 30psi in it. This method of carrying an extra spare is better for older type vehicles. The bonnet is quite heavy to lift but I will be installing a gas strut soon. Hope this helps. Cheers, Willie
AnswerID: 10098

Follow Up By: Adam - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
thanks for the advice; ive looked into this but fear visibility is too far reduced as the troopy bonnet is quite long and the seats not that high............i think ill have to leave the tyre as is and find a spot for my tinny motor inside the car...damn! roof racks are out as they hold my tinny

thanks

adam
FollowupID: 5309

Sponsored Links