Bypass Filters

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2680 Views:1804 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
All,
Does anyone use a bypass filter as I would like to hear your thoughts on them.(What brand, history, cost of replacement filters etc) Are there new brands out there and where might I buy one from. I have done a bit of general research and have found that the 4m toilet roll bypass filters can remove additives placed into the oil due to the filter filtering down too 1 micron. Most additives are around the 4 micron size, is this correct?
I have a GU Patrol 4.2TD and Im trying (money permitting) <-- this means the misses of course..hehe..to slowly build up all the goodies that go with a 4wd, fridges, recovery gear etc.
Thanks
Gary
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Hi there Gary, I have a a by-pass filter fitted to my GU 4.2, the unit costs $140.00 and the element costs $5.00. I have a car size unit fitted because of the lack of space and change the element every 2500 kms in stead of every 10,000 kms (the one recommended is about 4 times in filter area). It is the roll type and are a tight squeeze to get them into the housing top so if you prefer you can buy a complete plastic top fitted with an element for $12.00 each and throw the whole thing away. It filters down to 1 micron and you can see a difference on the dipstick. It circulates about 1 litre of oil a minute. My GU has 240,000kms on the clock and is still going strong. The company is called Filter Technology, they are based near Newcastle NSW. Hope this helps. regards Michael
AnswerID: 10092

Follow Up By: Michael - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Gary, forgot to mention, only particles can be removed from the oil, i wouldn't think that additives could be removed from the oil.. Best regards Michael
FollowupID: 5290

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:44

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:44
A filter like this cleans your oil, BUT
1) There is an ALKALINE reserve in the oil once this is neutralzed the acisic oil eats your bearings and everything else.

2) The Viscosity Index Improver eventually is sheered so the oil is no longer a 20/50 or what ever more like a 20/30

3) Silicone is a killer (Dust) is small and very abrasive,

spend your money keeping the air clean

jol
AnswerID: 11608

Reply By: Don - Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 06:48

Tuesday, Jan 21, 2003 at 06:48
Bypass filters have been around for many years and users have reported engine life of over 250,000 mile is normal the talk about removing additives is sponsered by oil companys so they can sell more oil.
The Frantz oil filter sold by WeFilterIt.Com is the best on the market and will keep your oil clean so additives are not needed.
Frantz removes water so acid can't build up and oil never wares out .
Never change oil, only add one qt at filter change each 2000 to 5000 miles.
The filter element is a roll of 2 ply 500 sheet toilet paper that you can get at your local store.

Don Gill
Retired petrolum Engineer ARCO Alaska Inc.
AnswerID: 11616

Sponsored Links