Air compressors rip offs

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2685 Views:2260 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I would like to hear from someone in the 4x4 industry about air compressor prices. How can they justify their prices when you can get proper 240V industrial compressor for around 200 to 500$. How much does it cost to produce some of the popular units and where are they made? What level of profiteering is acheived in the industry on 12V compressors. I think someone from ARB or TJM , Opposite lock should answer this question, after all it should be all part of the service. Don't get me wrong, they have to make profit, but in some of the casses profit margin can be in exess of 200% and more.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: PETER - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
Goran merry christmass - do you believe in faries - they will never own up to ripping us off. bet its because of the high price of labour in australia.
i have an arb - its just a pump but for the price you might expect it could also make coffee.
they collude on prices and we suckers pay the bills. once upon a time buyers could gang up and force these snake oil sales men into place but now we have no hope at all and you will see that as soon as a product becomes available overseas at a fraction of the cost we will then get that at an even higher price because we are silly enough to pay. that what "going off shore is " manufacturing at slave rates and selling to us as if manufactured by people on a decient wage .
regards peter
AnswerID: 10095

Reply By: Old Soldier - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Goran,

Yeah, these things sure are a rip-off, but it is not confined to the 4WD industry. the Nikes, Reeboks or Adidas shoes and "name brand" sporting gear we all wear are usually marked up in the 3 figure % mark.

I know that for fact as I once was the accounts manager for a mate of mine who owned 4 sports stores in a national franchise scheme.

It is not so much the individual store owners, it is the unbelievably high monthly franchise fees they have to pay for using someone elses name. And thats on top of buying the franchise in the first place.

Other factors which are taken into account when the mark up goes on are the high costs of staff, superannuation, store rental [high], workers comp [very high], repayment of shop fit [ an average "good" shopfit usually costs well over $100K], personal liability insurance [very high], stock insurance, advertising, repayment of bank loans, etc., etc., etc..

In the end, the actual retailer does make a reasonabley good profit, but he certainly does NOT pocket the sort of profits the markup would indicate. Other people have their grubby little hands out along the way.

And in the end it is we, the mug consumers that have to pay for all the ongoing costs incurred along the way - from manufacture to the checkout.

Merry Christmas mate

DennisN
AnswerID: 10100

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Do you really expect them to stand up and say yes we rip you off?

Its a small market when you look at the amount sold... if you sell one of something you have to charge more to cover your costs...

If they are from OS countries which have better $$ value than ours, which is all but Olooola Olooola land, then we have to pay more...
AnswerID: 10108

Reply By: Member - Bob - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

The local tool discount store- Fisher Discounts in Fyshwick- has 2.5 hp compressors with 25 L cylinder for $140. Unfortunately you would need a bloody long extension lead as they are 240 volts. But the point is you get a lot of compressor for not much money when compared to the 12 volt 'toy' compressors that cost 3 or 4 hundred dollars. I agree with Goran.
AnswerID: 10109

Reply By: rodeoowner - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

Unfortunately this appears to be a matter of Supply and Demand. If people pay these prices then there is no reason to make them cheaper. No simple solution I can see.
AnswerID: 10116

Reply By: Member - Steven - Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00

as with anything that says 4x4 you pick a number and multiply by whatever you think you can get away with and thats your price not so much the shops as the bigger chain stores
AnswerID: 10122

Reply By: Savvas - Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Goran...I absolutely agree with you.

Look at Marlow's Grunter and SuperCheap's little 4x4 air compressor. Both around $70. Look at the Hurricane, closer to $300 and it's the same unit. Even BigW sells a variation of the same compressor for $69.

Another example is Repco's Cyclone at $99 and the Bushranger ProAir at $250 odd dollars. Again, exactly the same units but big difference.

AnswerID: 10189

Follow Up By: Rodeoowner - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
There has been a lot of discussion on cheap air compressors, but I think you will find that the Super Cheap larger compressor which retails at $149 is the same as the Hurricane.
FollowupID: 5335

Follow Up By: Savvas - Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
Rodeoowner,

It is actually the little SuperCheap that is the same as the Hurricane. The gauge is mounted on the compressor on both units, and both have a 0psi flow rate of 35L/min. The only difference is the Hurricane is painted green and the SuperCheap silver.

The larger SuperCheap is 55L/min at 0psi and has a hose mounted pressure gauge. It also has a larger and heavier motor, with a 23amp draw compared to 10amp on the Hurricane.
FollowupID: 5371

Reply By: dolfn - Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 13:06

Wednesday, Feb 19, 2003 at 13:06
So with that in mind, are the cheaper units from Super Cheap and Repco, going to stand up to the vigours of outback use and conditions?

That is the real Question.
AnswerID: 13468

Sponsored Links