question for skippyking

Submitted: Monday, Dec 23, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2695 Views:1320 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
In your reply to my question on the holland track you said you had your own style drawers. Were the drawers built by you,and are they wood or steel frame?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-skippyking - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
G'day Terry,

built them myself. I'm a farmer, so have plenty of welding gear and tools on hand.

I used the four anchor point bolts to hold it in place. It sits between the wheel arches.

I made up a steel frame, which included a cargo barrier that started at the top of rear seat height.

My design is different from most because we have a 39L Chescold and it pumps out a lot of heat and needs a little room for air circulation. So, the fridge sits on a slide, on the cargo area floor to one side. The slide is a piece of MDF, 20mm, with gal light wall shs 20mm attached to bottom on long outside edges. This rests on two rails, 25mm shs light wall gal, on the frame, which fit on the inner side of the 20mm on the MDF. Two pieces of angle attached to the frame on the top- side of the MDF stop the slide tipping out when extended. This allows you to bring the fridge out so the lid can be opened right up. It may not slide as well as the commercially available ones but it was a hell of a lot cheaper and still does what we wanted.

Alongside the fridge I made up 3 drawers, on top of each other, of different depths out of 12mm ply, each slides on 45mm gal angle.

Atop all this is a piece of 12mm ply to the width of the frame. The side - walls are maybe 8mm ply (came as separators on a pallet of farm merchandise) In hindsight, the top didn’t need to be 12mm ply because there isn’t as much weight on it as I thought there might have been.

A lot of stuff fits in above and around the wheel arches. It doesn’t come all the way to the rear of the cargo area so I can fit in my 2 x 20L water containers. One has to be removed to access the drawers.

It weighs a bit but I can still manage to lift it fairly easily into the Jack.

We are happy with it. I hope I have explained it sufficiently well enough for you to get an idea of how it fits and works and looks Terry. If not, ask away.

When I saw what they wanted for roof ‘baskets’, I made my own which would have been a tenth of their price and just as good and strong.

If you have the gear, the patience, the time and you are practical and prepared to take your time and think about what you are doing, it is very satisfying when you slide it onto or into your fourby and take off on your adventure.
AnswerID: 10135

Follow Up By: Member - Terry- Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Thankyou, it is simple when it is explained,especially considering the cost of drawers from the suppliers.I can use my 1400 dollars in betterways and design to suit my needs
FollowupID: 5331

Sponsored Links