Brown Davis Automotive?

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2696 Views:4354 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I am curious as to whether anyone has had dealings with Brown Davis Automotive in Victoria.

I purchased a fridge slide through them via a third party. The slide did not suit my Explorer fridge, so it was returned. It was agreed a custom slide would be made. This would take 1-2 weeks. (I was also told my fridge was designed incorrectly, the controls are in the wrong spot & it's overall pretty useless).

Into the 2nd week I queried completion. "When it's finished I'll call you", was the only terse reply. Repeated polite requests every 4-5 days after that was met with the same response. After 23 days of being told this & that they "were doing a batch of 10 custom slides now", I gave up & went to see them.

On telling them I was cancelling my order, the only reply was "O.K". This seems to indicate they had not even started on the job.

My only real grievances are that they have no idea of when they can perform work, they are rude & aggressive to clients & they fail to supply common courtesy.

I would really like to know how other people have found their attitude.

On a brighter note, I have found extra-heavy duty slides & am making my own slide.

Anyone with an Explorer DC56 looking for slides is welcome to contact me for details.

All the best to all for Xmas & the New Year.

Davo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CLIVEB - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00
Davo, earlier this year I reported my treatment by Brown davis when purchasing a fuel tank.
Normal questions about construction methods, and club discounts brought the same rude and abrupt response .
Even telling me he was busy and had given me enough time,after about 5 mins attention.
This before I was going to hand over $800 in purchase price.
I told him that If he wanted to sell the tank he would have to give me answers to my questions,he finally did.
I suspect you dealt with the same sandy haired gentleman.
Most people I know in the 4wd scene now buy from longe range automotive.
Brown davis may have fixed their leaking tank reputation but not their customer service.
What a great site this is,soon the arrogant types that seem to inhabit sections of the 4wd community will realise that the 4wd driver is now more aware, and requires to be treated slightly better than an idiot when purchasing goods and services-have a great xmas.
AnswerID: 10138

Reply By: Goodsy - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

The old man had a long range tank fitted through Drown Davis in Vistoria. When we arrived to pick the car up there was something missing, THE REAR TANK! They had got the car ready for a gas conversion. We ended up waiting at Brown Davis for 3 hours while they put the main tank back in, swapped fuel pump over etc.
Tank was being put in for a big trip the following day. We packed the car and headed off, only made to about 100km's before the car died. Back to Brown Davis where on inspection they blamed a cheap standard hose for the lose of fuel supply to the engine. Not there crappy workmanship. If in the market for a tank I would go with longranger as they have a better reputation for quality.
AnswerID: 10139

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Well, Well.... so its not just me.

Last year I was looking for a snorkel for my Rocky for nearly 3 months.
I called Brown Davis and they said that they will help me as one of Airflow snorkels should fit my Rocky.
Few days later on Saturday I drove in the heat and in traffic from Mornington Paninsula to Bayswater only to be told otherwise.
Young salesman told me that they stopped dealings with Airflow months ago and Safari or Airtech is not available for Rocky so there you go.

after all I got my brand new snorkel from Toyhatsu wreckers and this people know how to look after the customer.

Andrew

AnswerID: 10140

Reply By: nico - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

I brought a tank for my V6 rodeo from them last year and found them to be quite helpful

I have these kind of expierences with ARB you ask them some questions
and they try and belittle you because I dont drive one of the BIG SELLING 4WD's(cruiser hilux or patrol) and anything else is crap to them and they hardly stock parts or can be bothered talking to you unless you have money hanging of your pocket

I have just upgraded my suspension at guests 4wd (fairfield)and also found them to be more than helpful . I would go back to them for advice and friendly service

I think it depends on the day..we all have bad days
but it sounds like brown davis have a few more than the average

nico
AnswerID: 10141

Reply By: Bonz - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Well guys I went on a 4WD training weekend with a few guys from Brown Davis and found them to be top guys and extremely knowledgeable and excellent mechanics. The fella running the course gets all his work done there and couldnt speak highly enough of them. This sounds to me like a case of too much work and not enough timeto do it in
AnswerID: 10142

Follow Up By: Viking - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 21:08

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 21:08
It may have been boring, Mick, but at least it was correct.
FollowupID: 5903

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Sounds to me to be typical... I've heard several stories first hand word for word things like this on accessories, about them, all bad...! This just adds to their resume.

Many reports of installations with cars not running after, or people getting out on trips and hoses not cabled, or run along parts correctly so they wear holes in them, and your in deep shiat out in the nowhere nowhere without fuel...

If you quote someone 1-2 weeks, you dont get into your 3rd week and have couldnt give a flying phu*k... You call them and say, we are sorry but this is the story... and Then to put the person down cause they bought something you dont sell, or isnt suited to your Universal cheap crap item (in this case Fridge slide).. Im not going near the place... It would be like the Manhattan Project all over again!

Although, I have found Total4wd Center Epping, and Outback Accessories in Seaford to be OUTSTANDING. They both stand by their work 100%.. Never had a problem with either.

Things like Goodsy, with the tank not even put in!!!! Come on! My 3 yr old knows to put his things back when hes finished playing... Then the next day it dies, its the cars fault... Not that there is 20,000 others out there with no problems at all with the fuel line.

Andrew with the Couldnt Give A F*** about the snorkel we dont even sell anymore, but lets get him in the door, we may sell him something else attitude...

I also see Common Courtesy as a thing of the past.. Dude, theres just none of it in people anymore.. Specially when people are in the wrong. Its not Sorry We shall fix it RIGHT AWAY, please have $X back or Discount on something for our bleep house work... Just doesnt happen.

And as for we cant afford to talk to you anymore about our products.. Thats inexcusable. I would tell every man, woman, child and club about that service...

Whats happened to this world these days??
AnswerID: 10150

Follow Up By: Mick - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

And furthermore .... what's happened to apostrophes these days? There's just no respect for that common little bit of punctuation - just gets left out all the time!
FollowupID: 5314

Follow Up By: Viking - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 00:47

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 00:47
You're kidding aren't you Mick? The problem with apostrophes these days is that supposedly educated people stick them EVERYWHERE, especially on words ending in a vowel, like "suzuki's" meaning more than one i.e. plural. I've even seen businesses with "Toyota's" painted in huge letters on three sides out the front. I don't think signwriters have to learn spelling anymore. Of course no one knows the difference between it's (it is) and its (possessive) either.
FollowupID: 5765

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:27

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:27
That's a boring follow up Viking. Mine was succinct but yours is boring.
FollowupID: 5848

Reply By: Davo - Tuesday, Dec 24, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for the replies. What surprised me is that most 4WD people are extremely helpful.

Glad mine was only a minor job. As I said, I've found my own slides & will build an assembly to suit.

Just as a note, I had a dual battery system fitted by Outback 4WD in Bayswater Vic. These guys did a great job & were extremely helpful.

Regards.
AnswerID: 10154

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00
Davo..

I dont know if they are any good for what you want, But I have some bearing slides from a computer rack here... Was going to use them to make some draws.. They are fairly heavy duty things, not crappy cheap things either... your welcome to them if they are of use to you.

Or Frankston Dande road Dande end, come off the Hwy, over the bridge, down on the left, CARAC I think its called, they sell LOTS o stuff like that.

Im in Langwarrin.
FollowupID: 5317

Reply By: Davo - Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00
Truckster,
Many thanks for your kind offer. I have obtained slides required, but thanks very much.

Take care & all the best.

Davo
AnswerID: 10162

Follow Up By: Truckster - Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
anytime dude.
Enjoy yourself..

The fat man did me well.. This to replace the center console!

FollowupID: 5328

Sponsored Links