PORTABLE COMPRESSORS

Submitted: Friday, Jun 08, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 270 Views:1852 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
About to embark on a 14 month trip round Oz & am in the market for a portable compressor. Just don't know which one! 4WD Monthly had an article on them recently & it appears as though Big Red & ARB came up trumps, but I've heard conflicting stories on both products. There are so many on the market! Looking to spend anywhere up to $400 approx. Can anyone relate stories on their experiences to help my decision please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Friday, Jun 08, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 08, 2001 at 00:00
I can't comment from experience, but when it comes time to spend my money I'll be getting an Endless Air for $350. It's a modified air conditioning compressor that runs off your engine via a belt. Most electric air compressors need the engine to be running to provide sufficient current, so why bother with electric at all.
They claim that it can inflate a 4WD tyre in 55 seconds.
AnswerID: 615

Follow Up By: Sally - Saturday, Jun 16, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 16, 2001 at 00:00
Nigel, you might be interested in reading the response from the exploroz team to my question. It seems the endless air could be a nightmare! Thanks for your response Nigel. Sal.
FollowupID: 175

Reply By: Colin - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 12, 2001 at 00:00
Sally,
I purchased an ARB compressor. I was tempted to buy a cheaper unit until a friend with a $100 special was let down first time out.

I think either 4X4 Australia ot Australian 4WD monthly did a comparison of compressors in the last few months. See if you can get a copy of it.
AnswerID: 624

Thanks Colin. Got the mag & this was one of the reasons I put it the question to forum - the comparisons confused us a bit more than before! Nothing like learning from other people's experiences, so thanks for your reply. Sal.
FollowupID: 174

Reply By: David - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2001 at 00:00

Sally, the Endles air compressors are very good & quick if you have the room under the bonnet, they they are a modified airconditioning compressor& come complete with all the gear for the installation.
If you are or know someone who is mechanically minded, you can pick up an old aircon compressor from the wreckers or automotive airconditioning place at very minimal cost (mine i got for free), then strip it down & block the oil gallery line from the head to the crankcase, tap a grease nipple into the crankcase, reassemble & fill the crankcase full of high temp bearing grease.
The suction side of the compressor runs from the air cleaner & the pressure side is your outlet, a mate of mine has one of these home made units fitted to his GQ patrol for about 5 years now, he's constantly up the beach & deflating & re-inflating his tyres & it's never let him down.
AnswerID: 625

Follow Up By: Rod - Tuesday, Jun 12, 2001 at 00:00

Sally, I support David with an ex Aircon compressor. I installed my about 5 years ago, never let me down. I didn't and don't grease it, every now and then I put a bit of one of the teflon engine additives in it. My vehicle is a L/cruiser 75 series with a 4.5lt petrol. I think you should also be aware that with the Endless Air units the $350 does not include any mounting brackets or all the other bits and pieces required.
FollowupID: 166

David, Thanks for this information. We weren't aware that you can do this. We have access to a aircon compressor from a 60 series wreck (we have a 60 series landcruiser & the wreck has been invaluable providing some great parts & accessories). My husband Matt is mechanically minded & we're thinking we might give this a go. Rod has confirmed your suggestion too. Your instructions are easy to follow (Matt says thanks!), so we'll check out the exploroz teams' upcoming feature on compressors first, then make our decision. Sal.
FollowupID: 176

Reply By: Peter - Wednesday, Jun 13, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 13, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Sally
I have used an ARB compressor mounted under the Pajero's bonnet for 3 years now. It is great, reliable, light weight (especially when compared with the A/C type units and all their belts) and doesn't draw too much from the battery. If you are short on space and don't want the extra complication of additional drive belts get the ARB. You can also fit an air locker to run from the ARB. I do have a dual batttery setup for running the trailer and 2 fridges but the ARB's draw is minimal so I don't keep the engine running.
AnswerID: 629

Thanks Peter. It appears as though ARB are reliable after speaking with others & from your reply. If we don't go with the ex aircon compressor that David & Rod told us about, we'll probably go with the ARB. Waiting for the exploroz feature on compressors, then will make a decision. Sal.
FollowupID: 177

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Friday, Jun 15, 2001 at 00:00

Friday, Jun 15, 2001 at 00:00
Sally, we are about to publish our choice of Air Compressor in the next update of our Vehicle Setup Feature. We looked at Endless Air, that others have mentioned to you already because it is a very good concept. The idea's been around for a while but they have had trouble marketing it because of the complexity in providing mounting brackets to suit the range of 4WD vehicles and overcoming how to access other belts in your car if they need replacing outbush. You can read a very trumped-up report in 4WD Monthly, but we give the "warts and all reports" and unfortunately, from first hand experience, we can report nothing about its performance because after 5 weeks of ordering it, the brackets never arrived and the company who make it (who are the only distributers) never returned our calls). The whole thing turned into a nightmare and our recommendation to anyone looking at this product for off the shelf use is that it is still not ready for market release due to the fact that they can't give you the whole kit to simply install it. The compressor itself is about $350 but by the time you actually get it installed it will have cost $1000 and for that, its just not worth it - give the Endless Air the flick!@.. So, which one have we chosen? keep an eye on the feature over the next few days for the update.
AnswerID: 636

Thanks for the info - we will be looking forward to the feature. It is still a month and a half before we go, so plenty of time to decide. The responses on the ex-airconditioning units are very interesting because we do have access to an airconditioning unit on a 60 series wreck, It's just a matter of do we want to go through the process to save ourselves a bit of money & we're leaning toward doing it this way, given that we won't be earning an income for some 14 months. Hope to see you on the road somewhere in the central Australian desert!
FollowupID: 173

Reply By: Joseph Baz - Saturday, Jun 16, 2001 at 00:00

Sally if it is of any help I run a blue tonge III
purchased from Opposite Lock,Im very Happy with the unit,maybe is not the fastest unit in the market but is allways a good excuse to have a cuppa while u pump the tyres,Thomas pumps are the manufactures of this pumps and they have a very wide knowledge and a very big market in the USA
I hope this may reduce the confussion
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 642

Thanks Joe, appreciate your reply. Sal.
FollowupID: 178

Reply By: Tim - Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, Jun 23, 2001 at 00:00
Sally, we've been using the ARB under bonnet unit for two years on a regular basis with no problems - fitted by ARB (cheerful bunch of guys) with an attractive internal on/off switch mounted where you want it that illiminates with your dash lights - tricky eh! - give ARB a go
AnswerID: 667

Follow Up By: Sally - Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, Jun 24, 2001 at 00:00
Thanks Tim. We're pretty much sold on the ARB unit. The more people we speak to about it, the better it seems to get. ARB is the go we think!
FollowupID: 190

Sponsored Links