kubota 4wd compact tractors

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 25, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2705 Views:11461 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Okay, I know.... not really the 4wds we normally share information on, but I'm considering purchasing one of these imported packages in the new year. Maybe some of you are into this sort of gear.... Are they any good, realiability, parts etc? I'm on hill country, up to pruning and thinning first plantations of pine and various other farm duties. One of little fellas might just be the thing my wife could use around the stables etc. They come standard with a rotary hoe, but the importers supply heaps of implements to go with them. Second, second hand they can be picked up with grader blades, slashers and front end loaders. Easy to put on a trailer and move between blocks. Thanks Royce
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Royce, We use Kubota Diesel engines to pump water, attached to a pump of course, and they are very good. Couple of other stations have the bigger tractors and think they find them good as well. Know a couple of yard builders that have been using Kubota 3 cyl engines coupled to Lincoln welders, for over 20 years, and they just keep going. One these yard builders also has a Kubota tractor that he does everything with, digs post holes, drives cut-off saw, use as crane, fork lift, the list goes on. His is about 30-40 HP.

As for spare parts, they are pretty good, with good parts back-up out of Melbourne. Reliability is excellent - there may be cheaper gear about, but don't think they can match Kubota's -parts, service, reliability.

Get a front end loader, they are magic, shift soil, bags of feed, use as crane. Slashers are better than the Victa! Don't think much of the small grader blades, unless your soil is very friable. Make sure you get a ROPS, think they are mandatory now anyway. Gotta go, I'm off to check a Kubota engine, thats been going for since 23rd, pumping water up to 14 km. Trust you had a good Christmas. Regards...
AnswerID: 10171

Reply By: Member - Terry- Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Dec 26, 2002 at 01:00
Royce, The small kubota tractors you refer to are used by many production nurseries in W.A. They are reliable and are able to move through the narrow paths with ease. This is what makes them ideal for towing 3-4 trailers 3m x 1.5m loaded with plants.I have had little experience with the attachments,we use a bobcat with attachments and 4wheel motor bikes at my nursery. However the basic kubota unit is good, solid and versatile.
AnswerID: 10185

Reply By: Derek - Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Dec 27, 2002 at 01:00
Royce. As a diesel fitter for the MRD in QLD for 25 years I can confidently vouch for the quality of the Kubota tractors. I had about 12 to look after over the years and they were all reliable and tough. If I was buying a new tractor (big or small) I wouldn't even look at another make. If you can't afford one now then save a bit longer-you won't regret it. Make sure you get hydrostatic drive, particularly if your working on steep grades or have need to do a lot forward/reverse work. Oddly enough, our worst tractors (on paper) were the John Deeres.
AnswerID: 10215

Reply By: Mikell - Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
I have a small kubota 4wd tractor in my nursery. In my opinion it is the best small tractor available. Tows 3 6x3 trailers loaded with plants no problems, slashes grass etc easily, and rotary hoes no worries.

Also have a similar sized Iseki tractor but this is not 1/2 the tractor the kubota is.

The only problem I have is the cost of spares for the Kubota. About double the cost of Iseki, MF or International tractor parts. Availability of parts around Melbourne is not a problem
AnswerID: 10288

Reply By: Member - Richard- Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
I have a 1979 B7100D 4WD Kubota. I use it around our 8 acre property in Braidwood. I have a slasher and rotary hoe. I had to replace the gearbox a couple of years ago and that was a bit of a hassle but otherwise it is good. The problem with the gearbox was such that a repair would cost me $5500 with new parts from Kubota and the tractor is not worth that much. I eventually located a second hand box from a wrecker in Queensland for $1050 with a "if it's no good send it back for a refund" guarantee. My Mechanic said it was OK but it turned out that it was from an imported tractor. Aussie Kubota tractors have a system whereby when you are using the power take off it has a kind of clutch that if you slow down or stop the tractor the implement at the back will stop driving so it does not push the tractor forward. Imported ones do not have this. (Imported as in second hand nor new). My mechanic had to make up a specialhaft to cope with the difference. The whole thing when finished cost me $3500. If I bought a new tractor I would definitely consider a Kubota but if its second hand get it from a reputable dealer with a guarantee. All the best. Richard.
AnswerID: 10291

Follow Up By: Rockhopping - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
how ya doin'
I used a B7100 on a property at Robertson NSW (near where BABE was filmed). The area is veryy steep & rocky- the Kubota did things & went places bigger units couldn't handle. Use a 1.2m slasher & 1m rotary hoe. But just like any vehicle- don't drive across a slope. I also had a length of about 600mm railway line on the front for weight for the extreme slopes & for towing a trailer when moving a couple of tons of rocks.
All in all- a very safe & reliable unit.
I dont know where you are- but there's a place in town here(Camden) that sells low hours s/hand units -all 4WD.
Regards
FollowupID: 5474

Sponsored Links