Submitted: Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2729 Views:1658 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can i take one,
has any one done it?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Goran - Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:00
It has been done before but take note, you will not enjoy your trip that way. My advice to you is: Don't even think about it.
AnswerID: 10299

Reply By: Mick - Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
Dougie, I agree with Goran entirely. It's not good for you, your vehicle or the environment to tow a trailer in any difficult terrain. Some argue that it's spreading the same weight over two extra wheels but they seem to forget that the trailer probably weighs half a tonne and has to be dragged wherever you go. Get good gear, pack carefully and you'll have a great time!
AnswerID: 10323

Reply By: lizard - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
Yes you could struggle through with a trailer and turn an enjoyable trip into damn hard and frustrating work , or you can take a swag and sleep under the stars ... I know cause I did the Canning in 1992 , and after that I bought a Cavalier to tour other parts of the country ... I wouldn't take the Cavalier on the CSR .
AnswerID: 10348

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Dougie,

I know a couple of people who have taken campertrailers up the Canning, thoroughly enjoyed themselves, had no real trouble and would do it again.

However, I have to stress that both trailers in question where extremely well set-up and purpose built offroad trailers both towed by diesel 80 series. Drivers were extremely experienced offroaders with plenty of experience with their rigs in all conditions.

I suggest if you are still interested, go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/campertrailers/ and have a chat to the members there.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 10413

Reply By: Member - Jim - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
Dougie
Yes you can, been there done that.

For the most part the trailer does not cause any hassle at all, but from about wells 35 through to 44 (from memory), the going can get quite tough.
It helps if you have other vehicles (without a trailer) in your group.

We travelled (2 vehicles) both turbo troopys with Track trailers in 1999, we winched on about 6-7 occasions, but reversed back and had another go on many occasions.

It was a good trip, the truck/trailer had no problems (not even a punture) and I would like to do it again some day, and it would be with a trailer again.

Regards
Jim
AnswerID: 10606

Sponsored Links