Insurance again....

Submitted: Monday, Dec 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2735 Views:1867 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help us with our little problem. We are going to travel around Oz for a period of 9 months and need a personal effects cover that covers the content of our 4wd. We have had no success with all the big insurance companies, the requirements for this kind of cover would be to have a home and content insurance. The problem is we do not have a home or a permanent address while we are travelling, so obviously we do not have a home and content insurance. Is there anyone out there that has gotten insurance without having an address or without being a member of a fourby club?

Thank you for your help!
Stefan and Diana
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
I believe that once you're away for longer than 3 months then your insurance becomes invalid. The insurance thru 4WD clubs (TCIS etc) may be of more assistance to you but will require membership of a 4WD club.
AnswerID: 10344

Reply By: bruce.h - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
tcis do offer a camping gear policy in conjunction with you motor vehicle policy but you do need to be amember of 4wd club for a period of tmie to be eligable & you must remain amember to be able to maintain the policy but is well worth looking into as 4wd club membership does have other benifits as well
regards Bruce
AnswerID: 10363

Follow Up By: Rod - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
I have heard quite a lot about tcis insurance and it's benefits to the 4WD fraternity, is there anyone out there who has had any claims experience with this company and were you satisfied with their level of service and promptness to your claim ? I joined a 4wd club 7 months ago but have yet to find anyone who has actually made a claim.
FollowupID: 5465

Follow Up By: Bruce.H - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Gday Rod
yes i personaly have made a cliam through the sceame with no problems but thing to remember is that tcis are only the brokers for the policy the cliams you make go through the underwriters of the policy so it is like dealing with any opther insurance company im sure if you dig hard enough you can find a horror story from somebody re tcis, ihave heard that the cost of the policy is now in some cases more expensive than some other insurers but as the policy has been writen by or on the behalf of the national 4wd council of australia it is an exceptionaly good policy as per what it covers,& can only be changed by the council,tcis then shops the policy around the underwriters to obtain the best prices.
at least that is my understanding as to how it all works,last i heard cliams were run at 103% hence the savings $ wise probable aren't as good as they have been
hope this is of some help
Regards Bruce
FollowupID: 5551

Reply By: Rod - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks for your reply !
I am due to reinsure my 4wd and just wanted as much info as possible so i could make an informed judgement. I feel like tcis is a secret society most people have heard about it but don't know much about it. Will probably post this question again - Thanks.
AnswerID: 10580

Reply By: Carole - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 17:09

We are in your same situration and have found a company that does a type of transit insurance for this kind of thing. We got the info through teh following broker Pmh Insurance Brokers
Ph: 03-9781-1044. very resonable rates too!
AnswerID: 10836

Follow Up By: Stefan - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 16:08

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 16:08
Thanks for all your information.
We have called PMH Insurance Brokers and they have been most helpful.
We were able to secure a General Property Insurance that will cover our car content for theft or damage in an accident.

FollowupID: 5892

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)