Fraser island

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2746 Views:1579 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to Faser Island in the new year (after school holidays). Whats the go up there, have heard they're closed a lot of it off. Is there any places other than the ones on the supplied map that I should not miss?? Going with a bloke who was there 3 years ago, is he going to notice a big difference in access to the island?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NOBBY - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
I WAS THERE AT ANZAC WEEKEND LAST YEAR FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 10 YEARS AND THEY HAVE CLOSED ROUGHLY JUST NORTH OF ORCHID BEACH TO THE TOP ( FROM MEMORY ). WATCH OUT FOR IDIOTS THAT DRIVE OVER 100K'S AND ALSO DINGO'S. AS MUCH AS HAD BEEN DONE THEY ARE STILL A MENACE AND WE HAD TWO STALK US FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR AS WE WALKED ON THE BEACH.
AnswerID: 10339

Reply By: chopper - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Fraser Island is a magical place. I have been there 11 times in 2002.

IMHO don't be put off by the dingos, you'll be flat out seeing more than 1 or 2.

Yes some areas of the island have been closed and this is very unfortunate.

Many people blame the island's problems on backpackers in troopys and landrovers. And that, to some extent, is right.
The bigger problem is Aussie males who pack more beer than tent, food, and clothes combined who still believe that the laws of the road do not apply on the island. I am still amazed to see people driving whilst drinking from a stubby.

Places not to miss

Lake Birrabeen, it's a smaller, quieter version of lake McKEnzie.
Spend a day lying in Eli Creek, perfect if there are lunchtime high tides, get there in the morning and wait out the tide.
Be sure to visit champagne pools, if you can time it for a lunch time high this is another place to just sit and relax.
The drive to Lake Garrawongerra is an interesting one and the lake itself is georgous, for those that atack every thing the NPWS do, you should see the excellent facilities and management at Garrawongerra .

There are many, many more.

Remember to slow down, and not just the fourby. Fraser is a family destination, take the time to enjoy it.
AnswerID: 10340

Reply By: Graham - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

I read in the paper recently that the Rangers are encouraging people to camp at designated camp sites as opposed to bush camping. This is to help with the Dingo problem. According to the report, this will be voluntery on the part of the camper to move.
Waddy Point has an excellent campground,(don't forget your 50c pieces for the showers)
Another beach closure is from the Inskip Barge to Dilli Village via Hook Point. If you are entering via Inskip you will have to go via the Inland track.
AnswerID: 10343

Follow Up By: Chopper - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Has this closure actually happened yet.
It has been talked about but as of two weeks ago has not happened. I'm sure its coming.
I have no problem with most managemet ideas on the island but this one i just do not understand.
FollowupID: 5418

Follow Up By: Derek - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Chopper. I have just read the Draft Managment Environmental Impact Study on the island and it makes most interesting reading. Some of the data on 'visitations' is mind bogling. For example, they want to ban fires everywhere but in approved fireplaces (which is good) and one of the reasons for doing so is because the black charcoal of dead fires is so prolific that it has been deemed an eyesore in the white sand (and I kind of agree with this too). Just thought you may want some trivia.
FollowupID: 5461

Reply By: 89GQ - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Goodsy. My family and I spent a week on the island in late September 02.Saw one Dingo And heard about another from some other campers. We had no problems with the wild life, only crazy drivers. We bush camped about 4 km south of Eurong just off the beach behind the dunes.Magic
We drove on at hook point and found the first 10 km of beach churned up and rough going the rest of the islands beachs were fine. Also drove from hook point to Dili Village via the road, that was serius pot hole in thin strips of bitumen country.
Another great place to visit is Lake Wobi ,the hike from the beach over the bush and sand blow is breath taking.Visit Lake Mckenze later in the afternoon after the tourist buses leave.
Good luck
AnswerID: 10420

Reply By: jadey - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
We just got back from a 5 night stay on Fraser Island yesterday. We headed onto to the island from Inskip Point and drove up the beach to Waddy point camp ground where we stayed, we arrived dead on low tide so the drive up the island was a relatively easy beach drive, just beware washouts that seem to appear from nowhere at times, also beware idiot drivers who have no idea of what they are doing and what the "road rules" are, remember to always keep left of oncoming cars and use indicators as a courtesy and the drive wil be a more pleasant. We only really toured the eastern beach, going as low Eli Creek which is beautiful but very cold and then as high up the island as we could go to Sandy Cape Lighthouse which is where we encountered the only closure, they've closed the beach off north of the lighthouse to vehicles. A must not miss up north is the Champagne Pools and Sandy Cape is an excellent fishing spot, we managed to catch close to 30 dart in 3 hours on just pippy's found on the beach, be careful of the inland track leading up to sandy cape though it is very short it is very soft and boggy, cars were getting bogged there every day, including us on the 1st day up there, tyre pressures are best lowered to at least 15psi and 4L engaged to get thru there easily and make sure you get some grunt in the car too. The rest of the beach is easily driveable in 4H and around 25psi. Make sure you have plenty of supplies with you as prices on the island are thru the roof, we were paying $1.25p/l unleaded petrol at Orchid Beach and basic food needs are pricey too ie: $3.40 for a loaf of bread. I hope you have a great time as we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, my 2yr old son even cried as our car left the barge back at Inskip Point. 1 more thing we didn't see 1 dingo the whole time but still be very careful with rubbish and keep an eye out for them.
AnswerID: 10619

Reply By: goodsy - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks for the info guys. Just got to set the new rig up now.
AnswerID: 10644

Sponsored Links