Portable Battery Pack

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2759 Views:10699 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at purchasing a Waeco 50L fridge & want a portable battery pack. I can't justify spending $400-$500 on a portable battery pack.

What I want to do is buy a deep cycle battery (75 A/Hr) for around $140, plastic tool box to store battery in and a 12V regulator/charger system (typically used for solar panels) from Repco for around $25.

I will plug the Repco Charger into a heavy duty Hella Plug that has been wired into the car and use the car's 12V to charge the deep cycle battery while I'm driving.

Sounds too easy - anything that I have missed ? any other suggestions ?

I need it to be portable because the fridge will be used in different vehicles !

Thanks
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
Those portable battery packs are a rip-off of the highest order.
Go here:
http://www.apollobatteries.com.au/spec.htm
very bottom of page to the 862 or 882 Deep Cycle Battery.
The 862 is about $125 and the 882 about $140. These batteries are made by Global Yuasa in Korea and are the best value and quality deep cycle batteries I have found. You can buy a battery case without any fittings for about $20.00 from SuperCheap and fit a Hella 16mm Universal Socket (Don't use the 20c cheaper non-Hella units, as they are sub-standard)
Now for charging the battery, this is by far the cheapest and easiest to install and works like pure magic:
http://www.redarc.com.au/sbi.htm
and these can be purchased from Ashdowns, Ingrams, Baxters for about $110 incl GST. This could easily be made portable, but you will need to be able to use more than just a cigarette lighter plug. This unit will normally allow a charge of between 20 and 30 amps. If you are using it in the same different vehicles (say 2 or 3) you could use an Anderson Plug in each vehicle and on your unit.

Will you be using this on a casual basis in each vehicle, and for how many days at a time?

A 12v regulator for solar panels is a completly different kettle of fish to charging with an alternator.

Suggest you also look at the evaKool ED50 fridge. It is slightly dearer than the Waeco, uses the same compressor as the Waeco, but the cabinet is far superior in insulation properties and design, and can easily be opened in the back of most vehicles.
www.evakool.com.au
AnswerID: 10367

Follow Up By: Phil P - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks for reply, I only need to use the fridge for a day or two out of the car, so I guess the 90 A/H Apollo should do the trick !

Will the redarc product prevent overcharging ?

Can I run the fridge off the battery while it is charging ?

Thanks
Phil P
FollowupID: 5434

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00

Oh sure the Redarc will prevent over charging.
Yes, you can most definitely run the fridge and charge the battery at the same time.
Check out the Tech Specs for the Redarc unit here:
http://www.redarc.com.au/sbi-techspec.htm
Also check out how good the spike control is here:
http://www.redarc.com.au/sbi-techspec2.htm

By the way, this Redarc unit is basically identical to units costing around $250 with fancy brand names from 4WD drive outlets. Personally, I would not use a second rate product myself, as I have been around auxilliary twelve volt battery systems for to long and think I have tried or used all of them. This is the cheapest, most cost effective and most importantly trouble free and works and works *very* well.

Out of my evaKool, I can get 2 days well out of my 882. A Waeco should go close to two days. The difference in quality on the insulation of the evaKool cannot be overstated. If you read the test results between the different fridges, you can easily see the difference.
FollowupID: 5435

Reply By: diamond - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
i think it was last month or the month before waeco were giving away a free portable power pack with a few of there fridges try a few difrent weaco dealers and see if they will do the same now if not try another dealer just play a few of them against each other im sure one will throw it in to get the sale i work in the auto trade and can get $200 off from our local bloke if i want one so i know theres a few bob in them just keep ringing and hastling
AnswerID: 10376

Reply By: Phil P - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Thanks for your assistance, now have enough info to build my own portable battery supply.
AnswerID: 10406

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

If your getting a wet cell battery I hope your not intending to have it inside the vehicle while it's charging, as hydrogen is very explosive.

There are some sealed types of batteries that are supposed to be safe to charge inside vehicles or buildings.
AnswerID: 10418

Follow Up By: Phil P - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks for the tip, no point saving a couple of hundred dollars & having a potential bomb in the car !
FollowupID: 5467

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

You cannot get a gell cell that can be charged with a car alternator.

Just put the wet cell in a sealed plastic food storage box with a vent to the outside if you are bothered. The amount of hydrogen gas created while a battery is charging is low. Have you ever heard of a car explosion because of a car battery charging inside a vehicle - No!
FollowupID: 5476

Follow Up By: Axel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

DANGER DANGER , the only reason Oziexplorer has not heard of this type of explosion is because sane people do not allow a highly explosive gas into their vehicle,,,Basic safety written on all wet cell batteries..
FollowupID: 5480

Axel you had better tell all the thousands of people that fit them in the back of their vehicles and caravans etc. Where do you think all these battery boxes they sell go into! The volume of gas needed to create an explosion would need a large battery to boil (massive over-charge) for a long period of time. To date, I have never ever heard of a battery causing an explosion in a vehicle. The correct conditions for this to happen would be difficult to create even if you tried. Axel suggest you go and do your homework and some research before you sprout off like an alarmist ill informed person.
FollowupID: 5481

Follow Up By: Axel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

'just put the wet cell in a sealed plastic food storage box with a vent to the outside',,,,,,next reply is a battery box,,,, ill informed,,yes definitly by Ozi
FollowupID: 5492

Axel, you are like a little ill informed loneyly child with a personality disorder and/or mental problem. Suggest you go and seek a psychologist or psychiatrist for your problem.
FollowupID: 5494

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Have a look at these AGM sealed batteries - they were recommended to me, but have not yet tried them:http://powerdive.virtualasp.net/products/Accessories/Batteries/
AnswerID: 10423

Sponsored Links