Cooking with Gas

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 31, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2764 Views:2700 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used a Hillbilly gas ring which you use on top of a camp oven when cooking with gas.This is used to brown the top of our 'gourmet dishes' while in the bush. If so are they worth the $120 or is there another method for achieving the same results ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 01, 2003 at 01:00
Have you got a URL for this gas ring device?

I use a Camp Oven Mate with a stainless steel pot and the goodies brown perfectly on the top.
www.southern-metal-spinners.com.au/camp_oven.htm
AnswerID: 10377

Follow Up By: Jack - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Hi guys .....
URL for Hillbilly is http://www.hillbillycampinggear.com/
... and no, I am not on their payroll, but do like their stuff. Their flip over toaster is the best thing since sliced bread. (I can't believe I said that .....).
Jack
FollowupID: 5516

Reply By: Jack - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Hi Steve and Wendy:
I have a hillbilly camp oven with the gas attachment ... excellent, and works well. It is primarily designed for use with the camp oven of course. It works "underneath" and on top, as you indicate in your post, so could be useful for browing your "gourmet dish". But it is just a gas ring with some bits joined on to that it can take the camp oven. Mine goes with me everywhere.
Jack
AnswerID: 10479

Reply By: KAK - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Steve and Wendy,

Have one for the large oven with the gas burner, it works well. Is especially good for use to cook roast in total fire bans etc. If you buy one a wind shield is a good investment to stop wind going between the camp oven and the ring (helps it keep hot even without wind). The area above the burner (when used on top) gets very hot and you can put a saucepan on top to cook greens and gravy etc. It can become a the complete kitchen for that meal if you like, with one burner. Like any oven, but more critical with these is, do not open it a lot, as it works on convection heat. Only open around 40 minute intervals. I only have good things to say about their cooking gear. I use it recently in my garage (on a cold rainy day and my friends (non believers)) were very suprised with the results as the sides of the oven and base did not get as hot as they thought it would, and therefore thought that it was not cooking.

It dry roasts (which takes longer for vegies) so you put your vegies in at the same time as the meat. You may find that the top of the roast may burn a little so I have put a small piece of foil loosely on the top of the meat at first and take it out later, to prevent it from burning. You may already know this.

I still have two cast iron camp ovens which get used as well. I believe it was worth the money. The add extra bulk for transport though.
AnswerID: 10484

Sponsored Links