Jackaroo fuel pump failure

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2779 Views:5996 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My father (elderly) purchased a replacment tank for his Jackaroo and was advised to drain the tank after a couple of fuel ups to clear any sediment (or whatever).

Within 10,000 ks the fuel pump completely failed without warning (under warranty). The vehicle had to be trayed to a dealer. Holden would not cover under warranty because they said fuel contamination was the cause, but they have not put this in writing. Cost around $1,200 to the old man. Fuel was always purchased from major outlets, mostly the same outlet since car was new.

So someone must be responsible. GMH, the fuel tank suppier or the fuel supplier. Believe me, its too much for an old man to deal with - easier to part with the money.

At any rate, GMH were typically unhelpful with this being not the first warranty claim on this car and I have had continuous (a whole stream) of problems with a new holden I purchased.

Anyone got any GOOD warranty stories to share, as I would rather deal with them than go into battle with firms I believe are sharks.

Sean

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00
Jackaroo in tank fuel pumps going is not an un-common problem along with the altnerators and starter motors. From memory the fuel pumps non-genuine are about $192. How the hell did they get to $1,200. Sounds more like a typical Toyota story than a Holden story.
AnswerID: 10462

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Didn't think you could write a reply without mentioning how bad toyota is. Thank's for not letting me down Ozi.
FollowupID: 5511

Follow Up By: Shiraz25 - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:08

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 12:08
Goodsy,
I think you didn't realise whether the vehicle was petrol or diesel as if it was petrol then it is understandable the price to be $192 but if it was diesel the price could range from $1000-$1500 depending on the damage.
FollowupID: 7425

Reply By: diamond - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

sorry sean im sitting here bored and would love to spent the night giving you good waranty stories but unfortunutly theres no such thing lol
AnswerID: 10463

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:00

Sean.
This is a common story with aftermarket fuel tanks that are mig welded. What happens is bits of mig wire are stuck to the inside of the tank and brake of after the fuel has sloshed around for a while, the tank manufacturer is at fault but has covered his arse by advising the clean out, this is a no win situation that catches out a lot of people on there big trip when they use there long range tank for the first time. Eric.
AnswerID: 10472

Reply By: Savvas - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
Sean,

You're absolutely right...someone is responsible for this.

Get the dealer to put their findings in writing and go after the fuel supplier. If they won't, then put your demand in writing to Holden's state office pointing out that their inaction may point to them being liable for the problem. If your dad is a member of NRMA/RACV/etc., use them as well to lobby the suppliers. They are not going to come forward on their own, you will need to harrass them hard.

I'm aware of one person who was a Landcruiser stalwart. He decided he wanted a change and bought an NM Pajero Exceed in 2000. After 2 years of constant electrical problems that were seemingly unfixable, a letter from his barrister to Mitsubishi Australia backed by a stack of job sheets and invoices from his local dealer, had Mitsubishi Australia refunding him the full purchase price of his Exceed. He now owns a Dual Cab Rodeo and couldn't be happier.

You need to chase and pressure them. That $1200 should be retrievable from someone.

AnswerID: 10482

Follow Up By: Sean - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Savvas you are dead right, but believe me, the stress on an old man can be 'not worth it'. I live in the NT and he in Melb so I cant help much. Best realistic outcome is for others to learn and be weary. I for one will not be getting a long range tank on my patrol even though it would be handy at time. That may not have been the cause, but who knows.

Sean
FollowupID: 5521

Reply By: Darian - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Savvas is dead right......you can only find out what is possible if you are organised, methodical and persistant. You have to stare them down and convince them that you won't go away......get everything in writing and keep everything !
AnswerID: 10493

Sponsored Links