thermo or clutch fan

Submitted: Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2794 Views:5153 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 2.7 td with a clutch fan on it. There are cracks starting to appear around the platic body of the fan so I need to replace it. Can anyone tell me their experiences with thermo fans, is there any noticeable increases in power or fuel economy? Are thermo fans efficient enough?
Which one do people prefer?
cheers
mike
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00
If the clutch fan is operating correctly, it should only be fully engaged when the tempreture is up. I very much doubt you would notice any power difference on a 2.7TD or fuel economy. It takes a lot on a diesel to improve fuel economy.
I used to use thermo fans on my LR's, but since going Japanese have never bothered. Thermo fans don't like water, so don't go wadding with them.
AnswerID: 10545

Follow Up By: Mik*2 - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

thanks oziexplorer

do you think they are as effective as a clutch fan or much the same
FollowupID: 5556

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Jan 03, 2003 at 01:00

Oh yes, they are effective if you fit the correct size, but also more to go wrong. They are after all only pancake motors, and just look how often these need replaced on air conditioning condensor units. On the highway you would probably find an electric thermo fan will not run at all. If your 2.7TD has a water cooled turbo, I would most definitely stick with the clutch fan.

Personally, I would stick with a good working clutch fan. Just make sure the tempreture device is working correctly on the clutch fan. Electric thermo fans were popular before thermo clutch fans came into being. Davis Craig who make electric thermo fans have had to diversify their business due to the declining sales of after market fitting of electric thermo fans, so think that should tell us something as well.
FollowupID: 5558

Reply By: Truckster - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00
Asked about this myself on the patrol list.. Theres been a few that have gone this way, thermos suffer LOTS from mud and dirt, to the point, that they can die within 3-6 months... Depending on what sort of work you are doing. One person on the list was stuck in the middle of nowhere, with no fans at all, the bearings had gone I think he said, and the fans wouldnt do anything at all..

Your not happy with the fan that you have? Its not cooling it ??

Personally I would stick with the std fan, your not driving a high performance car..
AnswerID: 10553

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Mine lasted about two months. Hit deep mud and it sucked the fan forwards killing the motor. Driving home without a fan at all was slow!!
FollowupID: 5583

Reply By: goodsy - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Fitted a 16 inch (biggest davis craig make) thermo fan to my hilux when the body lift went in. I short it was crap. Could not keep the hilux cool on long uphill sections. Weather did not have to be that hot either. Stick with the clutch fan, if running correctly as they are a lot better at pumping air. Also you will not notice any difference in power between the two. The power to pump the air has to come from the motor some how either direct drive or the alternator.
AnswerID: 10570

Follow Up By: Goodsy - Saturday, Jan 04, 2003 at 01:00

Also if you have aircon that relys on the tickover of the clutchfan for cooling (not it's own thermo) like the hilux you will have to wire the main thermo to turn on when aircon is on. Thermo in this case would suck more power from the motor than the clutch fan.
FollowupID: 5578

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
ahhh so thats why it doesn't have a separate fan for the air con, it gets all the cooling from the clutch fan, I also never thought of the water in the fan problems as well although I try to avoid any water crossings.
thanks gentlemen.....
mike
AnswerID: 10584

Sponsored Links