Exide Orbital

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2813 Views:4767 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used the Exide Orbital battery? Any comments good or bad?

My parents can't really justify a dual battery system as they don't leave the bitumen unless in convoy, but they want something that will cope with a few hours running the Waeco fridge. The Optima won't fit in their battery tray so I thought the Exide Orbital may suit as it claims to cope with cycling and recharges quicker. They set their Waeco cutout switch at medium so it won't totally flatten the battery and also carry a jump start battery pack.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00

Sunday, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:00
I have looked at them on their website, but never had the application to try one. I would think with the Exide name it would be a safe bet.

To date, I have not been impressed by Optima for the price.
AnswerID: 10628

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Nigel I went down to the surveyors this morning to return their DGPS gear I had borrowed over the holidays. They were changing one of the vehicle batteries over to the Exide Orbital. They say they find them excellent and can run their gear from them while parked during the day with still enough juice for cranking. They said to date they have found them better than other style of batteries, and avoid having to fit a second battery. The only thing they have done is fit a low voltage cut-off switch. As the fridge you have is fitted with one of these, you will have no need.
AnswerID: 10663

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Thanks for the info - my folks went to buy one, but had to order it as such modern technology is not stocked in hicksville :)

I rang Waeco and found out that the middle setting for the cutout is 11.2 volts, so with the drop in the connectors that should cut it out at 11.5 volts - a good compromise between run time and being able to start the vehicle.
FollowupID: 5648

Follow Up By: Wazza - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:17

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:17
Sorry all for going off topic, but OziExplorer, have you considered the AUSPOS service on the Auslig Website. Depending on your application, it may eliminate the need for differential corrections.

http://www.auslig.gov.au/geodesy/

FollowupID: 5767

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:01

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 08:01
Wazza, yes, I have looked at it, but the thing is I need the coordinates out in the field where I am and cannot wait till I get back. I only seldom need to use DGPS, so just borrow the surveyors gear. I must say, I find the staff at Auslig/Natmap excellent. Such a change for a Federal Gov department. I like it the way the are substantially reducing the price of data as well. For example the 9sec DEM's came down from around $3,500 to $99.
FollowupID: 5774

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:33

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:33
As it turns out, a quick mod to the battery tray and he could fit in an Exide N70EX (Extreme), which I believe works on the same sort of concept as the Century Marine Pro 600 (starter battery with cycling ability). So he gets more run time for a cheaper price - and should never have a problem starting his p...sy little engine :)
FollowupID: 5858

Sponsored Links