Camping at Howqua River VIC

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2817 Views:14051 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me what to expect - is the place very busy with campers at this time of year?
How long would it take me to get to Shepards Flats if i leave Melbourne
at around 4pm on Friday (need to stop at Mansfield and fuel up).
Are the open fires allowed and if so do I need to bring my own firewood?

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Andrew,

It's been several years since I was in that part of the country but my comments may help answer your question. At any time but winter during school holidays, Sheepyard Flat is busy. There is a wide open area and I have seen this packed.

However, if you want to get away from the hoards, just keep following the Howqua along. There are a lot of little campsites along the river which will accommodate from 1-3 tents and vehicles. This was always our preference and we had some delightful camps on the River. Even during the busy Easter period, we were able to find a nice spot to ourselves.

Trouble is leaving Melbourne at 4pm, you will arrive in the evening and if you are unfamiliar with the area, finding these campsites in the dark could be tricky.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 10668

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Not a lot of water in any of the rivers at the moment. The Mitta is just a trickle last week and poor water quality, the Ovens is the same and was there on Friday, and was around the Hotham and Dinner Plains area yesterday and is bone dry or close to everywhere. I would suggest you phone the nearest NRE Office which would be Mansfield and ask them how much water is in the Howqua. I am flying down on a service flight tomorrow as far as Mount Buller, so if I have time and fuel I will drop in and have a look at the Howqua.
FollowupID: 5657

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

As for a fire, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT IT without checking with the CFA.
Check the CFA website and get a contact phone number, as they change day by day for different areas.
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/
FollowupID: 5658

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:01

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:01
Andrew never got that far down today because of the total fire ban. I did however speak to the chopper pilot who is based in Bright, and is down in that area all the time, and he said while the Howqua was presently running at about 50% of normal, it would still be a good place to camp.
FollowupID: 5701

Reply By: diamond - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

hi andrew we came amd stopped in howqua just after christmas was not to busy the river is down a little but still good fishing so i was told bye some campers fires are allowed in places provided you will find dug outs at the camp sites as long as not not a day of fire ban not sure where shepards flat is but mansfield is about 2.5hrs from melb and howqua is about another 15 mins
AnswerID: 10675

Reply By: mich - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
I WAS UP IN THE HIGH COUNTRY ON THE WEEKEND, NEALLY GOT RUN OFF THE ROAD BY A D..HEAD IN A X-TRAIL ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD. THE LAST TIME I WENT TO SHEEP YARD FLATS, LOTS OF FAST 4X4 WITH LOUD MUSIC AND SWEARING AND DRINKING, PICK SOME WHERE ELSE IF YOU WONT PEACE AND QUITE. HAPPY CAMPING
THE MITTA MITTA RIVER WAS FLOWING QUITE FAST AND WAS VERY HEALTHY ON SATURDAY 4-1-03
AnswerID: 10701

Follow Up By: Bruce - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:54

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:54
Hey am I missing something here..one person says the Mitta is just a trickle and another says that its running quite fast and looks pretty healthy..wots goin on ..who is is telling porkys...come on the guy wants some info...that is ...the right info
FollowupID: 5699

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:58

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:58
The Mitta Mitta is running well because they are letting water out of Dartmouth Dam. There is always heaps of places to camp next to the Mitta Mitta.
FollowupID: 5700

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:57

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:57
"Sheepyard Flat is busy" is an understatement, same as Frys flat over the top of the hill...

The road last time I went there nearly shook my teeth out...

Finding it in the dark wont be a challange, once on the road, just keep going till ya cross the bridge and your there.

Lots of people are conflicting with water levels, depends on what you call a lot! I wouldnt expect much at all..

6mm of rain isnt going to kill the drought!! It also isnt going to make the whitewater rapids go nuts either.
AnswerID: 10729

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:04

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 14:04
I have always been surprised they have no gauging station on the Howqua you can look up on the net for such a reasonable size river.
Tobacco Flat is often the best place to go during the peak period so I am told.
FollowupID: 5702

Reply By: phil - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 19:07

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 19:07
Just got back from 6 days in Alpine Pk with Christmas Day on Howqua R. We found a spot all to ourselves at the 7 mile right on the river and all to ourselves - great walks from there too. The road in from Minimbah is good - not 4x4 in real terms but a magic spot with easy access thru Mansfield. The best part of our trip was further north.
We left Gosford on day one, drove via Canberra and arrived at a lovely motel at Mansfield at arond 10pm. After a good night's sleep (and a shower) and a fresh start, found the next day to Howqua easy going arriving in heaps of time to pick the best camp spot and we were completely set up by 4:00pm. Our only visitors in two days were wild dogs (Dingo cross breeds) prowling the camp.
PHIL TURNER
AnswerID: 10761

Reply By: dock - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 22:26
Andrew, the rivers north of the divide are running at 50% of their normal flow for this time of year.They are still great spots to camp.In the last month I have checked out the Ovens,Buckland, King Howqua and the Golbourn and all are flowing. Most of the valleys are still quite green and pretty.Campfires are allowed unless it's a total fire ban needless to say they should not be left unattended and put totally out before leaving.
Sheepyard Flat is always busy on weekends and at prime times i.e. x/mas, Aust. day,Easter etc.So you will need to bring some wood with you. As mentioned if it's flat out at Sheepyard you can keep travelling up the road and usually find another spot.Or try Fry's or Tobacco Flat which is downstream of Sheepyard.
There is good camping also on the Golbourn upstream of Jamieson.From Kevington to the Knockwood Bridge there is about 30 camps of varying size all accessable with 2WD. For good 4WD camps turn left after the Knockwood Bridge onto the Lazarini Track and head down one of the spurs off to your left to the river or keep going till the track fords the Golbourn.
Both places are about 3/4 of an hour out of Mansfield plus 1/2 an hour extra to Knockwood. There is also a great pub at Kevington Hope this helps!
AnswerID: 10784

Sponsored Links