Camper trailers on Fraser

Submitted: Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2822 Views:1613 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am going to Fraser Island in April and have an off road trailer. I have read and heard varying descriptions on how hard it is to manouver a trailer behind the dunes when camping along the beach area.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00
If you are coming up from 'down south' and are planning to camp on the eastern beach then, as long as you pick your tides, you will have no problems.

Many of the areas behind the frontier dunes have quite well rooted grass and are very firm. There's 125km of beach (okay you can only camp on about half of that - for now) so with patience you are sure to find a suitable spot. If a certain spot is too hard to get into, don't chew up the track trying, just keep looking for a better one.

Have a wonderful time, Fraser is magic. I'm back there again in a couple of weeks for the QAFWDC Clean up Fraser Island Day.
AnswerID: 10689

Follow Up By: Stevea - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Chopper,when you get back let us ALL know how much the barge has increased its prices. I went up there mid December and it only cost me 35 buckaroos, but I've heard that its double the the price now.

ps check out how much with the trailer as well

Oh yes I totally agree with you, You can get anywhere you want to with the right tyre pressure and a little common sense whilst driving on the island
FollowupID: 5672

Follow Up By: Chopper - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
I made some bookings yesterday for another group if a few weeks.
The inskip barges are now $60. It was $35 three weeks ago and as low as $20 in August.

Still it's better than the $80 plus pass. it used to be.
FollowupID: 5678

Reply By: ROX - Monday, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:00

Brad , I have just been to Bremmer Bay in WA and had no trouble toing my camper 20kms along the beach .Ps the 2wd road was 50 kms and wery coregated so I went back along the beach.
AnswerID: 10690

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 01:00
Hi Brad,

My comment is more general. When you get to a turn off for a likely campsite, walk in first. We discovered the hard way what a pain it can be when you go into a campground/site towing a trailer, and then find that there isn't enough room to turn around or manouver due to lack of cleared area or the presence of other campers. Nothing worse than trying to reverse out on a narrow track. Just something to bear in mind...

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 10696

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:33

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 13:33
Brad,

You will find that the toughest conditions will be getting onto the Inskip Point ferry. If you can manage that then the island will hold no unexpected dramas for you. Just make sure you stick to low tide driving.

Manouvering behind the dunes - well, there are hundreds of potential camping spots and some of them will be tight fits. Walk them first and if they are too tight then carry on to the next spot.

Enjoy the island - it is a beautiful place.
AnswerID: 10723

Reply By: jules - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 19:43

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 19:43
Hi went to Frasere last August - went over form Harvey Bay - nightmare - have to back on to ferry and drive off(off is ok) then the return drive on and back off - up a wet steep ramp with tons of gawkers watching - nightmare!!! - not cheap either from there can't remember exactly - but we camped near Lake Mackenzie - lovely spots mostly individual and easy to get into - tho some of the tracks are pretty hairy - cold shower is provided as well as a flushing toilet - and firewood - the lake is magic - thousands of backpackers when we were there - including the one from Glasgow who honestly believes that there is a cloud factory in Qld to make clouds (I think the bus driver told him this) - think it was a sugar mill - gullible!
Fraser is well worth a visit - but if coming on the beach be very sure of tides - met some people who were bogged in sand for 5 hours - just beat the tide getting out - in hired campers!!
AnswerID: 10932

Sponsored Links