Bluetooth GPS

Submitted: Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:25
ThreadID: 28298 Views:2022 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All

I am going to kit the Patrol out with a Touch Screen TV so I can run my GPS software on my laptop. Does anyone have any experience with the Bluetooth GPS receivers ? The idea is that that will send the info to the bluetooth USB plug on the laptop on then put it all on the screen for me.....

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:34

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:34
G'day

The place to go for good info would be Johnny Appleseed GPS. They are at Annerley and of course here. I am just going through the process myself with a view to purchasing a PDA with Blue Tooth, WI FI and storage cards etc. I am leaning towards your thoughts of blue tooth GPS.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 140536

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:23

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:23
Thanks, I know about these guys I got my mapsource CD from them, keep me posted on your findings though
FollowupID: 394148

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:51

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 07:51
Troll, bought one on eBay a few short weeks back as I did with a $0.99 plus much bigger postage cost bluetooth dongle. I was amazed how the dongle just so quickly logged into the receiver. I have a velcro point near the top of the screen to use it in the ute and another mid top of the dashboard for the car. In the ute I have built a charger point into the overhead ST console where a switch may normally be situated. Hidden when not in use.

To tell you how the bluetooth GPS went - I turned it off in Geelong where it had Destinated me to the dental surgery. On return home 160 kms away from Geelong the dongle was in the mail box, so I took it in and plugged it in the laptop - no previous connection there with bluetooth. Sat the GPS on the window sill, under an 8' veranda - 8' wide and high. To my amazement it took me straight to Geelong where the previous connection had been. Five minutes later it had found enough satellites to position me at home, yes, under the wide veranda!

There are a few guys around with them and they work amazingly well. It's normally to run via a PDA though.
AnswerID: 140540

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 20:08

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 20:08
Geez you are a bit of a worry Bro .......Using a GPS to drive around Geelong and then find your way back to the farm hahahahahahahahahaha!!!
FollowupID: 394307

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 20:55

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 20:55
Bro, half of the thing about using Destinator was to see where it took me. It doesn't use the bypass roads through the lead into Geelong but goes the straight line accross the Barwon - not me though, I was trying to give the PDA a headache.

I was led straight to the number just as I was in Ararat after the trip to the Pyrenees. "Number 15 and street number 6 opposite" or in the case of Geelong "200 M.... Street opposite"

It took a while to get home over the weekend as I was brought home via ballarat!
FollowupID: 394317

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:21

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:21
Yea I saw them on ebay as well...first saw them on the garmin site for very expensive but I can get one on ebay for around the $100 mark I think. I already have the USB bluetooth receiver for the laptop...but I just wonder if I am going to have problems pairing the GPS bluetooth receiver with the USB bluetooth receiver
AnswerID: 140544

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:28

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 11:28
found it no trouble Troll with mine. Thought I may have indicated that above with the immediate logon, but perhaps i wasn't clear enough. I have been amazed at the access. I had to set OziE to NMEA only though but had no problem communicating
FollowupID: 394195

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:57

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 08:57
Got an Emtac bluetooth GPS, which must have fallen off the back of a truck, off ebay and use with the Bluetooth Ipaq or Thinkpad and dongle bluetooth.

Works a treat. Bluetooth as a technology can be a bit unreliable but hasn't worried this setup.
cheers
John

AnswerID: 140552

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:23

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 06:23
Hi John

What software do you run on the thinpad laptop? I already have mapsource so I guess I can just stick with that and then get nroute for the turn by turn and voice
FollowupID: 394384

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 08:57

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 08:57
oziexplorer on both ipaq and laptop need to get a turn by turn one
FollowupID: 394400

Reply By: Emo - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:18

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:18
I am in the process of going down a similar path. I've just bought a new HP HX4700 pda and intent to hook it up to a bluetooth receiver. My research has suggested that you get one that has the new SiRF Star III chipset. The two brands are Globalsat and Holux. Both are available from eBay. Apparently the new chip is really sensitive and gives you a good signal where other will not. Both are rechargeable or can be run from 12 volts so you can pretty much mount them anywhere. I'm going to look at mounting mine behind the rear view mirror. The problem that I have is which mapping software to use. I'll use Oziexplorer for off roading but also want to run something like Destinator or Copilot for running around the suburbs to make the most of the set up but they are pretty expensive.
AnswerID: 140572

Reply By: Member - t0me (WA) - Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:47

Wednesday, Nov 23, 2005 at 18:47
I've got a BT gps and it works great.

Now, if you're going to try for a PDA instead, they aren't being advertised but someone in the trade told me they have ordered a CDMA version of the XDA IIi Now that would be the puppy to have.
Its a PDA (fastest on the market still I believe at 520mhz) with WIFI, Bluetooth and a CDMA phone. I have the GSM version and its without doubt the best toy I've ever had. Maps look a bit small but adequate. Destinator is great and I've just tried TomTom which in the UK was the bomb and looks just as good here (though it had my street as a WAY instead of a CLOSE, but none of them are perfect). I haven't tried it in the car yet but I'm looking forward to actually having roundabouts described right to me (unlike Destinator) and best of all.... I got the voice pack for it so its gonna be John Cleese telling me where to go :-)

I dunno if there is even a route calling package available for a laptop, something like Destinator.

Oh yeah, on the subject of the BT GPS, with a PDA you can stick it in your pocket when you go walking. A bit harder with a laptop. You can however stick the GPS reciever outside and go inside and sit under the aircon while you're planning your route :-)
AnswerID: 140660

Follow Up By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:58

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:58
For laptops I believe you can use Nroute that will talk to you and provide turn by turn navigation
FollowupID: 394383

Follow Up By: Member - t0me (WA) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:30

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:30
I had a quick scan of the nRoute package.
Its an addon for Mapsource City Navigator which is from Garmin. I m not 100% but I think it only works with Garmin GPS's.
FollowupID: 394412

Follow Up By: Member - t0me (WA) - Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:34

Thursday, Nov 24, 2005 at 11:34
Looks like CoPilot is another option for turn by turn navigation via a laptop.
FollowupID: 394415

Sponsored Links