Tanami Pump

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 15:22
ThreadID: 2836 Views:3444 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had any experience with a Tanami Pump (utilises compressed air to pump fuel from a gerrycan) and if so where can I get one?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 21:04

Tuesday, Jan 07, 2003 at 21:04
Greg there is a guy that advertises these things in the Gem & Treasure magazine. Hold, on I will see if I can find the URL for you quickly.
Back, found it in an old number.
http://welcome.to/latstone and make sure you click NO to the Spywear they want to install on your computer
or use:
http://www.outbackin.com/
Yes, they do have a 'pump' called the "Tanami". This stuff is dangerous to the extreme, and I am not the over cautious type at all. Bad enough with diesel, but with petrol, these things are a bomb. They have a non-approved relief valve on them and could easily blow a drum or jerry can.
No wonder this person uses free US websites. Would be interesting to see if they have product and liability insurance. Personally, I would not touch the product as I consider it extremely dangerous way of transferring fuel. No, this method is not used in industry at all - why, because it is highly bloody dangerous and stupid. I will be bringing these 'pumps' to the attention of the N.S.W. and Victorian authorities as they should be banned - PROMPTLY.
AnswerID: 10774

Follow Up By: Andy - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:30

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:30
OziExplorer

Interesting comment but perhaps a little extreme. Using compressed air to transfer fluids is an not uncommon industrial practice albeit with much more sophisticated PRV's than the Tanami Pump uses. We have a Tanami Pump, which I have not yet tried, but like so much in life common sense is the key. The unit is not suitable, as it does not fit, for plastic drums so the issue is with steel drums. We intend to use the air compressor mounted in our 4WD (to transfer diesel) & it really is a case of making sure that the air pressure can not rise excessively by turning the pump off & on rather than depending on the PRV. No major issue. With so much of what we do in the bush common sense is the key.

Your comment about the transfer of petrol is closer to the bone but again it is each to his own. Personally I consider the use of plastic fuel containers creates some element of risk due to the danger of friction or puncture leakage but again common sense provides protection.

Andy

FollowupID: 5768

Sponsored Links