GPS, Maps and Pocket PC

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 13:00
ThreadID: 2855 Views:1786 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Heres one for the techos. I have a Compaq IPAQ Pocket PC and want to install a GPS Smart card. What I would really like to do is use my Pocket PC instead of my notebook. Does anyone have any experience in this area?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 14:06
Drew it depends how and where you want to use this outfit. Sometimes a seperate GPS is better to connect to the iPaq. CF GPS cards do not excite me at all. Reception quality is not one of their strong points.

What model iPaq do you have?

What software do you intend use on the iPaq?
AnswerID: 10828

Follow Up By: Drew - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 14:10
I have an ipaq 3870, but regularly upgrade. I am not sure what software is available but would ideally like software that will run on the pocket pc and give similar mapping functionality as is available for notebooks, ie/ tracking, pinpointing alocation i am in on the map etc. I am really after advice about which gps, cf or otherwise and what sftware to use...
FollowupID: 5794

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:24

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:24
Well, OziExplorer www.oziexplorer.com is the go and has great functionality.
Johnny Appleseed GPS has the Haicom cable type GPS that suits the iPaq for $220. This comes complete with all cables and the power supply to supply the iPaq and the GPS unit:
http://www.ja-gps.com.au/gps-haicom-203.html
I have not tried one of these units. There is one warning, that the Datum of the unit cannot be changed, so if you want to use UTM coordinates which a large majority do, you cannot use this unit. With UTM the GPS unit has to be set to the same datum as the maps on your iPaq.

How do you want to use the iPaq?
Do you want to use it in the car all the time?
Do you want to use it for bushwalking or off road motorcycling etc?
How you use it is what determines what is most suitable for your needs.
FollowupID: 5801

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:03

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:03
Drew, for this sort of advice I would go to the OziExplorer home page : www.oziexplorer.com and join the mailing list there. I know that OziExplorer has a version for WinCE hand helds. Needless to say, OziExplorer is the killer mapping app that you need.
AnswerID: 10831

Follow Up By: Drew - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 15:55
I am going to travel for 12 - 14 weeks this year and want to know where I am from time to time - exactly where I am, no other real need other than look at the map and have a GPS plot the reference...
FollowupID: 5802

Reply By: Janset - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 19:50
Hi OziE.
Will you please pick up on my previous post refering to a laptop question and we can kick it around here for a while...

PERSISTANT, AREN'T I :-)))))

rEGARDS
AnswerID: 10849

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:12

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:12
Janset, I don't mind if you are persistent. I am not fazed by anything unlike some others, and only to happy to pass on any knowledge and assistance I can.
However, I cannot find the thread again. What date is it, or post a URL.
FollowupID: 5879

Follow Up By: Janset - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 13:40

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 13:40
Hi again OziE.

I found the post, it's No. 2854, "Mike asks about carriage of notebook computers"

I have cut and pasted here my last question of you to save you a bit of time :-)))

Thanks for that Oziexplorer.

Where did you buy your cables? Here in Perth everywhere I ask I am told the they do not know anything about such things but they can make a few enquiries. When I ask them would they also ask as to the colour coding withing the wiring, their knees go to jelly.

So you see, here in Perth, we are the poor cousins in the information stakes. I also can not turn anything up on the Web!!

Would you have the colour codings/functions of wiring coming from the iPAQ, this would be of great help to me. Questions like this are why I asked for you email address as I think most do dot wish to be bored with this kind of info and every day this posting gets pushed further down the list.

I guess it is a lose-lose situation in my case.

Regards
FollowupID: 5945

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 14:08

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 14:08
Wow, ok yes, I thought you would have no trouble buying the cables in Perth and getting the info.

What is your e-mail address, and I will shoot you an e-mail with all the information you need.

What model iPaq and brand and model of GPS do you have?
FollowupID: 5949

Reply By: Janset - Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 21:54

Friday, Jan 10, 2003 at 21:54
Good on ya OziE

Email: janset44@optusnet.com.au

GPS: Magellan 4000XL

PDA : COMPAQ iPAQ 3870

Any other questions gladly answered, as I am going around the bend trying to get answers and all that I seem to be getting from web site is the right royal duck shovel from one automated site to another.

If you are not familiar with the Magellan 4000XL wiring I can supply that also. I managed to do a successful hook up to my laptop and all works well. Now however it is time to move on the a PDA :-)))))

Regards
AnswerID: 11032

Sponsored Links