Ideas for long distance travel ?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 18:17
ThreadID: 2857 Views:2043 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Any good ideas to break the monotony or help the trip for kids and adults? One thing we take with us, especially if its hot, is a plastic spray bottle full of water that we use to spray over each other. This is good even with the a/c going and has been known to help when some of us are a little tired and emotional.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Peter- Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 18:41

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 18:41
when you see a parking area pull over and make everyone ,yes driver included jump out and run around the car three times fast jump back in and off you go it only takes a second or two but you will be suprised just how much it will revive you , add some fun for the kids by timing how long it takes,remember the handbrake safe trip..
AnswerID: 10847

Reply By: diamond - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 19:54

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 19:54
sorry to tell you this but theres no known cure for long distance insanity after a cpl of of recent trips to qld fron vic i now that best thing i found was ear plugs wont stop kids getting bored or fighting but will help you not to hear it sorry if this didnt help and hope you got a laugh and could be a story to tell them next trip lol
AnswerID: 10850

Reply By: bruce.h - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 20:42
always found that the only solution to lomg distance travel is stop lots ,w also have fold down tables on the backs of ourt seats stuffed with books travel games ect.heaps of water for the im thirsties ,& a big bag of bulk lolliesas rewards for those who behave good or the im hungries other than that i have found that if you show interest & attention to the kids & what s going on the kids do also. by the way my kids are 6,3 & 14 monthes travelno worries anther game to play is see who can stay awake the longest the harder they try the quicker they fall asleep
AnswerID: 10855

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 20:48
Try here for a few tips.

Travelling With Kids

But its a problem for longer than Cars have been around...

Playing Eye Spy gets dull after 1 minute though!!
AnswerID: 10857

Reply By: Member - Bob - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:14

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:14
Are we there yet? Distraction by activities that don't lead to carsickness or fights are good for a while. After that, sleep is attractive. Achieving sleep for those purists amongst you is by keeping them up late the night before. This can backfire when they become overtired and aggressive. For the rest of there used to be Vallergan Forte, and more recently Stilnox. Half a stilnox will stun the average eight year old for a good four hours. Make sure their airway is open so as to avoid disappointment on arrival at your destination.
AnswerID: 10868

Follow Up By: Chris - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:28

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:28
Thats a bit steep, Bob
Maybe it is ok to avoid red cordial and other hyper energy foodstuffs, but I would not recommend giving the kids medication to sleep, or even just to relax them. I say this after allmost 6 years of travelling with the kids in the back. Dock, follow some or all of the other advice, and enjoy your travels WITH your kids, as their holiday also start when you leave the house. It then becomes more rewarding for all in the car.
Good luck
FollowupID: 5844

Follow Up By: Ferret - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 22:53
I find a handheld electric cattle prod is good for quietning the little ones when they play up. It may damage your ECU though if you have one.
FollowupID: 5846

Reply By: johnsy - Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:42

Wednesday, Jan 08, 2003 at 23:42
You dont say how old your tin lids are but here goes.
1 If your comfortable with it travel at night they sleep .
2 If they are 3/ 4 a string tied across the back seat where they reach the toys books etc clipped on with pegs
3 walkmans with nursery stories borrowed from the library
4 If they are a little older buy lego models that are ahead of their ability and no helping by the parents or older kids
5 travel trays with the bean bag base
a few ideas that we used
AnswerID: 10880

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 00:02

Thursday, Jan 09, 2003 at 00:02
Johnsy,
These are very good ideas - and some I'll use myself with the 2 1/2 yr old on the CSR this year. Should have sent them to me direct to put into the travelling with kids page that I have written and Truckster has reminded you all to read.

Don't forget I don't read actually read my site much, I'm so busy writing it, so you have to send stuff to me or I might not see it to add to the site to put into the general content. Well done with these ideas though!
FollowupID: 5854

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 16:12
Hi Dock,

Only just caught up with this post so apologies for late reply. Here's a few more idea's...

First few are things my folks used to do with us kids during our many long distance trips. If you've got the time, do a bit of research about the area you intend travelling through, then:

1) make up a (long) list of "Spot This" (eg. emus, kangaroo, windmill, Sturt Dessert Pea etc) and give each thing 1-5 points for degree of difficulty. Each person gets a point everytime they spot something on the list. We never got prizes, just the fun and competition was enough. Also educational.

2) make up question & answer cards with questions relevant to the area you are travelling. Each person asks a question to the next person and so on. Keep score if you want. Again, a lot of fun and educational.

3) Give them life savers and see who can suck them the longest without breaking them. Can't talk too much when they're mouths are otherwise occuppied LOL.

Bit harder with the little ones. My son is 20 mths and is going thru a really bad travelling stage. Things I have found help are:

1) Constant supply of food like dried fruit, biscuits etc. I give him a few at a time in a paper bag and this keeps him entertained for awhile.

2) Hang some toys within reach. I got a bit of plastic chain from the hardware and hung it from the handle above the door and pegged toys onto it.

3) Got him a couple of very small torches (about $2 each from BigW). He has great fun shining these around, through his clothing, hand etc.

4) Give him his sandals to play with. He spends ages taking them off and trying to put them back on.

Recently I saw an organiser that fits on the back of the front seats. These have been around for ages but I thought this one was particularly good as the front folded down to 90 degrees and formed a flat surface that kids could use for colouring etc. We'll get one for Matty when he is a little older.

Lastly, stop regularly and give the kids a chance to run around, stretch and generally refresh themselves. Of course, this applies to adults too (well maybe not the running around). And don't set unrealistic travel plans. Kids are on holidays too so it's not really fair to expect them to sit in the car for hours and hours.

Hope you can use some of my idea's.

:o) Melissa
AnswerID: 11287

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 02:48

Wednesday, Jan 15, 2003 at 02:48
Yet again Melissa, you've got some top ideas that I will add to our Travelling with Kids page found under the Preparation menu.

Lucky I stumbled across this post, as I try not to spend much time reading the forum myself and certainly only skim read post activity from my member home page. You know how it goes - work on the damn thing all day, the last thing I want to do is actually read it for pleasure!! My recreational time is spent rebuilding/renovating our house, or playing with my daughter... anything that doesn't involve being in front of the computer!
FollowupID: 6244

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 00:06

Thursday, Jan 16, 2003 at 00:06
I know what you mean Michelle. Before I had Matty I worked 50-60 hours a week, majority in front of a computer. Never touched the damn thing at home. It's only since going back to work part-time in a MUCH less demanding role I have developed any enthusiam for the PC.

Finished our renovations 6 months ago and swore off any more for at least 2 years (we'll see). Only thing getting any attention now is the garden, family and of course travel/camping.
FollowupID: 6279

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:24

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:24
Lap top with DVD is really good, audio books, game boys, walkmen for each child, lots a stories, and parents never argue, it kills a holiday for the kids

cheers jol
AnswerID: 11604

Reply By: Jol Fleming - Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:25

Monday, Jan 20, 2003 at 22:25
Lap top with DVD is really good, audio books, game boys, walkmen for each child, lots a stories, and parents never argue, it kills a holiday for the kids

cheers jol
AnswerID: 11605

Sponsored Links