Camp ovens on gas ring

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 21:27
ThreadID: 29318 Views:6117 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

I recently posted on camp oven care and got some superb advice, thank you all concerned.

However, I'm wondering / contemplating buying the gas ring for it.

With all the fire bans I'm curious if it cooks as good under gas?

Is it worth getting one? I'd consider using it for roasts at home aswell?

As usual any advice greatly appreciated,

Rgds

Ron
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 21:50

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 21:50
I have posted here on this forum about a small conversion I've done with a Bedourie Oven which will sit atop a gas ring. Search for oven mods, or something... can't quite remember...

I only use my oven for heating food, and not cooking, like casseroles, stews, etc. I guess if there is a fire ban, then cooking a hot meal is sorta out of the equation anyways....

I've just come home, from my holiday, where we endured 47 degree heat, and the last thing I wanted, was a hot meal. I did however, use the oven each evening, on a gas ring, to heat up pastries.

Nothing beats a Weber for doing roasts at home in my opinion.

Cheers

Wolfie
AnswerID: 146358

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:10
Hi,

47!! geez thats gettin up there.

I'm not always out on road in that heat, so poss agree with you there.

The fire ban thing though..... If what I'm told is correct, you can have a gas ring on a camp oven or indeed a barbie, as its not classed as an open fire. Its controlled and regulated, not just free to spark and divert off in its own direction.

Guess a firey will put us right here?

Rgds

Ron
FollowupID: 399887

Follow Up By: simple - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:13

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:13
re. fire bans.
gas bbq's (i guess gas rings would be included) may be used with 20m (i think) of a fixed structure (house, maybe ammenities block etc) as long as there is a supply of water at hand within reach of the cooker, must be a hose etc not a bucket.

i probably should know the exact details but its getting late.
you could look it up. section 98??? of the rural fires act nsw.1997.

all this info is nsw by the way but i think they're all pretty similar
FollowupID: 399898

Reply By: Plunger - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:10
Ron

I've used a camp oven for years - but until recently never on gas...! Not long ago, I was caught at home by a blackout, with the roast about to go in the oven. So... scratched my head, threw it in the camp oven and put under it the gas ring I keep for crab cooking. My experience was that once hot, it required just a low flame to keep it "pinging". (Mine is a cast iron Furphy - and retains its heat.)

Missed the smokey flavour, but otherwise great!

Plunger

AnswerID: 146363

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:16

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:16
Sounds good.

Apparently there are purpose built gas rings which go on top, which start the convection thing going?

Ever heard of anyone using them? I have a gas ring I could put it on but heard (cant mind where) that these purpose built gas rings are the go if no fire, just wondered if anyone had first hand experience of them.

Rgds

Ron
FollowupID: 399888

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:54

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 22:54
Heavy gas rings are available from camping shops. Good for quick heating of a large volume and can simmer. They can be put on a strong stable surface too.

Put your camp oven on it like any other pot. Would not 'oven' well for browning stuff but so what.

Be aware that you need a regulator because they are low pressure.
AnswerID: 146371

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:08

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:08
Camp ovens work OK on a gas ring as long as you sit what ever you're cooking, on a cake stand etc to allow the heat to circulate & not burn the bottom. Wont brown the top of your food as well as a big shovel full of coals on top will though. I think King Billy have gas ring options with their camp ovens.
As far as using gas on a Total fire ban that's definately a NO GO. Not in the open, a tent or even a camper trailer unless you're within a certain distance of a fixed building. (Allows you to use your BBQ at home)
We have special permits at work to allow us to opperate gas torches in an emergency on Total Fire Ban days & even then we need a fixed hose or fire truck on hand with a dedicated safety observer, clear all combustable material within 10 metres & ring the local fire captain to let them know.
Cheers Craig..........
AnswerID: 146372

Follow Up By: greydemon - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:06

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:06
Excuse my ignorance, but does this mean that on a total fire ban day I can't even use the gas rings on the stove in my trailer tent to boil a billy? Assuming that during warm weather a fire ban would be in place continually in desert areas does that mean that everyone camping there exists on cold food and drinks? As an aside, half way down the Gunbarrell how would you know if it is a Total Fire Ban day?
FollowupID: 399937

Follow Up By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 23:12

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 23:12
My understanding is on a total fire ban you can not light up your gas ring at all. I'm not sure if this includes caravans as well. The thinking behind it is if your camper was to catch fire, there will be no water on tap to put it out & a better than even chance it would then set fire to the bush. You could of course get a microwave & plug into an inverter.
The only exemption I'm aware of is you can light up gas cookers etc in an open area, away from anything flamable as long as they are within a certain distance (10 to 15 metres from memory) of a fixed building. (I doubt high country huts were included.)
Out in central Oz I don't believe they ever have total fire bans as there would be insuficient fuel to burn in most places & very few structures or people under threat like the built up areas on the east coast. Out there some common sense should dictate if a fire is suitable or not.
Cheers Craig...........
Just checked the regs & were as I thought. Have a look at..........
Fire restrictions
FollowupID: 399973

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 00:38

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 00:38
Can't even use an electric bbq in the local park unless a usable tap is within 10 metres....

Dave
FollowupID: 399978

Reply By: Member - Jack - Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:15

Monday, Jan 02, 2006 at 23:15
Hi Ron:

check out the gas ring available from Hillbilly Camping. It allows you to cook from the top as well as from the bottom. Might solve your dilemmas with cooking a roast almost a la campfire. I have used this on a few occasions and it worked fine, albeit not as good as the real thing .. camp fire.

Hillbilly link

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 146375

Sponsored Links