switching oils

Submitted: Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 10:14
ThreadID: 2933 Views:1511 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all , I have decided to start using synthetic oil in my 98 3ltr diesel Hilux- sump and g/box, t/case, the question is how do I completely drain/flush out the old oil so as not to contaminate the new oil going in,
Also what synthetic oil would one use in this vehicle..thanking you....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Savvas - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:24

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:24
Hi Lux,

Flushing engine oil is relatively easy. You can get some products such as Wynn's Engine Flush and use that at change time. I don't know about g/box, t/case and diffs though.

As for selection of oils, have a browse of the various lubricant manufacturer's websites. The usually have an area on their websites that recommends the correct lubricants in their range for your vehicle. You can also call them directly. I've found Mobil to be particularly good with their help.

Try the following links -

http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/mobil_au/
http://www.valvoline.com.au/servprodguide.cfm
AnswerID: 11194

Reply By: OziExplorer - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:35

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:35
Lux you can find out what you need to use by going to the Mobil website or phoning Moble LubeLine on their toll free phone number 1800 033 863. The people there are excellent.

All Mobil synthetic oil for your type of vehicle is compatable with mineral oil. Take the vehicle for a drive and if possible put the vehicle on a slight incline. Drain the oil and preferrably leave it overnight to get as much of the old oil out as possible. Changing to all synthetic pays for itself in fuel savings over the service interval. You can expect between 2% to 5% saving on diesel. As for using flushing oil etc. I am not fussed on it, however, phone up Mobil and ask there advice. With modern high detergent oils engines are pretty clean when you strip them down. In the case of small diesels like yours, they normally work hard enough so deposits seldom form.

If you intend to keep the vehicle, a bypass remote lube oil filter costs about $160 to $200 to fit yourself, but with synthetic oil is well worth the money and will ensure longevity of the engine and reduced service costs.
AnswerID: 11195

Follow Up By: Lyndon - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:42

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:42
Where can you purchase these by-pass filters?
FollowupID: 6144

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:58

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 17:58
Lyndon I purchase mine from www.unitedfilters.com.au
You need a Baldwin B50 filter and filter housing. You need a VDO 'T' piece from Repco for about $20. This 'T' has a male thread the same as your oil pressure switch, a female port you can screw your oil pressure sender back into, and a 1/8"BSP port so you can take the oil feed off to the Baldwin filter. You will then need the pipe and fittings which can supplied by your local hydraulic store. You would have to find out from a Toyota dealer where to put the oil back into the engine. There are usually always ports on the engine block. Where a standard filter normally goes to 10 microns, these bypass filters are 1 to 2 micron and keep the oil substantially cleaner. These are fitted in addition to your main oil filter. You can normally go for double the service intervals and then get an oil test done from Mobil as often the oil is still in good condition to go the same distance again. I have a little tap on my system, so it is easy to take an oil sample to send to Mobil for testing.
FollowupID: 6147

Follow Up By: Wayne - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:53

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 23:53
A quick question for you Ozi. What sort of price do Mobil charge for testing? We have it done on marine deisels regularly, but I was under the impression it was fairly costly. Also do they give you the break down of foriegn matter in the oil? e.g. bearing material etc?
Many thanks for your reply,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 6192

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:52

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 13:52
Wayne $30 is what Mobil charge, and the report is comprehensive.
Phone them up on their toll free phone number and ask them to fax you the details of their anyalisis
FollowupID: 6214

Reply By: sean - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:14

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 20:14
I rangt mobil when I first purchased my diesel Nissan 3 litre as I have always used Mobil 1 in my car and swear by it.

Mobil advised me to use Delvac HP and that synthetic was of no real advantage, and that the Delvac would go well beyond the manufacturers 10,000ks service intervals.

I have looked at all the oils and have yet to find one that says it is specifically suited to diesels so I would appreciate it if you let us know what you find out.

Sean
AnswerID: 11219

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:33

Monday, Jan 13, 2003 at 22:33
Sean check on the Mobil website. For example the normal Mobil 1 is well rated above Delvac HP. Sean, synthetics are a whole different ball game to mineral oils. Just the start up protection they give compared to normal mineral oils is significant.
http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt
http://www.users.conninc.com/pgoodson/SynthOil3.htm
http://gulfcoastfilters.com/why_do_we_change_oil.htm
FollowupID: 6186

Sponsored Links