a little more on batteries

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 16:48
ThreadID: 29332 Views:2674 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all....

Happy New Year to you all.....

just another query on the topic of batteries... i have a V8 Land Cruiser with winch, fridge's and all the electronic gear etc.... i have been watching the recent battery topic with interest as i am in need of a new one myself, i don't have dual batteries and don't intend to fit them, so i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with a single battery setup using the heavy duty marine type as it seems that they are probably the most suitable for what i need, if so what's the best brand, type, size etc that will fit into my standard carrier ??

thanks

Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:17

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 17:17
Steve,
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using only one battery (no matter how big/powerful it is) if you're going to be running a fridge etc. Especially if you ever plan to use your winch.
At the very least I'd be looking into getting one of those Blue Apple or the new big flash-harry battery box that Opposite Lock are advertising...this could be used to run fridges and lights etc.
That would just leave the winch as the only concern and, forgive me if I'm wrong, but most blokes only use their winch once in a blue moon. If you DO use your winch more often, I would still recommend a dual battery set-up as the winch will flatten even a huge battery in next to no time. If you only use your winch occasionally, please remember to leave your motor running well after the winching operation is completed. Many a driver has been caught........on a steep hill with no traction; winch self to a flatter section of the track (still not on flat/level ground); switch motor off straight away to pack gear away and get wife/kids back in the truck; try to get truck started to no avail as battery will not kick motor over. Can't push start as you're still facing up hill. Only alternative is to roll backwards and bump-start; which would be a very iffy thing to be trying and would probably mean you'd have to winch out again.!! Phew!!
Anyway, just my opinion.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 146411

Reply By: John L G - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:13

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:13
Steve

I'm with Roachie on this and regards your rig it would seem to be comprhensively fitted with the exception of the dual battery set up.

I personally would feel pretty uncomfortable with just one battery in a camping situation regardless of how hairy chested a battery you end up fitting. If you don't want to install a second battery as back up then perhaps you should at least fit an electronic controller to shut down the accessories when the battery drains to a certain level. This will at least allow you to start the LC when its time to depart the scene - they are a bugger to push start in sand.

If its just occasional camping, then perhaps one of those Waeco power packs for the fridge may be the go which will leave the vehicle battery to do its job.

As for winching off one battery, I think thats a bit of an ask on a one battery installation and perhaps could see a battery melt down happening if the winch is uesd in real anger. Perhaps I'm wrong on that point but the amp draw on a loaded winch is pretty excessive - you only have to put a hand on the motor and power cables to get an idea of what is going on in these instances - all of which energy is being supplied by the battery (- ies)

As for type and brand, that will start a whole string of opinion but dollars cannot be avoided here and good quality and reputable spring to mind.

John G
AnswerID: 146420

Reply By: scottp - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:20
I, Like Roachie, am not comfortable with risking a flat main battery.

Has your waeco got one of those switches in it that cuts out the fridge once the voltage drops below a certain limit to make sure there is still enough power to turn over the engine?

How often do you stay in the one place running the fridge?

I think the dual battery box is a good idea if you don't have space under the bonnet or you don't mind losing space in the back.They rec-retail price is $698.00 and i dont know if that includes the battery. (Makes for an expensive dual battery )

scott

AnswerID: 146422

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:39

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 18:39
scottp:

I agree with all of you in that the optimum setup is to have dual batteries, but in my case i don't want to fit one for a number of reasons, space under the bonnet means i have to relocate the existing one (which voids my warranty) and i don't keep the vehicles that long, so it will unfortunately reduce my resale if i do, so i'd prefer to spend the money on a "you beaut" single battery and not damage the under bonnet area.

I don't use the winch a lot but when i do it's most often to pull someone else out and is usually some serious winching, I always keep the engine running while doing so and don't trun it off for sometime afterwards .. and unfortunately the original battery just isn't up to it and is showing signs of starting to fail .s

So I don't want to take risks in the outback or on some remote fire trail... and as the car is full of electronic devices it's time to replace it before it lets me down...

and yes the Waeco cuts out if in danger of lowering the voltage beyond what's needed for starting, but the one in the console keeps running regardless...

Steve
FollowupID: 399932

Follow Up By: scottp - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:22

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 08:22
I have had great service out of my CAT batterys and can reccomend them.

I own two

Have a 1300 cca 190ah Premium high output.

This baby weighs 54 kg but will run my 40 litre engel for six days and nights at 4 degrees C in 35 degree heat during the day. I use this one on the long fishing trips set up at camp. It performs well.

The second battery is 750 cca and 100 ah PHO, and is likely to fit in your
existing battery tray. This size comes in 8 different configerations eg: 1000cca 90 ah which might be better if you are winching.

Expect about $220 for the battery.

Don't know a lot about agm's but from what I have read on the forum they would be a good option to explore. If you want to spend the money on them.

cheers

scott

FollowupID: 400003

Reply By: sh - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:07

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:07
You might want to bear in mind that the Waeco cut out if set to high will cut out at 12 volts. At this voltage the battery has only 20% of its charge left. This is as low as a deep cycle battery should ever be discharged. However I believe most battery manufactures recommend that a cranking battery is never discharged to anywhere near this level. To do so will kill a cranking battery fairly quickly.

Regards
AnswerID: 146433

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:48

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 19:48
Steve,
Have you considered an AGM battery in the back to run your bits and pieces, leaving your cranking battery for that purpose alone.
The AGM can be stored at any angle and discharges when not in use very slowly.
It also recharges quickly.

Pedro

AnswerID: 146439

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen M (VIC) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:31

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 20:31
Hi Peter:

yes i have but unfortunately it still requires that i modify the interior of the vehicle.... and i'm not prepared to do that as i will lose too much on resale...

steve
FollowupID: 399949

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:21

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:21
I would have thought adding a second battery would do nothing to the resale value of a new LC. Ok so if it DID void your warranty (which I'm not sure that it would) under the bonnet, set up and AGM in the back. Leave it in there when you sell it and do it again, then they can advertise it as having dual batteries. There's no way in hell I'd go camping and run my fridge without a dual battery setup. No way. I've nearly been caught WITH the dual batteries in the middle of nowhere! (I had my LVC set to low on the starter and it was a cold morning, she only just ticked over). I've got an Auto too, so if I have no battery power, by myself, in the bush with the family we are in big doo doo, can't roll start an auto.
AnswerID: 146469

Reply By: Member - Ivan (ACT) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 23:08

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 23:08
Steve,

Don't take offence mate, but if you don't want to make any mods at all, surely the winch goes against that? - or do you remove winch and winch bar when you sell..

If you left it on, anyone happy to buy a car with a winch, certainly wouldn't squeak about a second battery in there.

I've made many a mod to my last Toyota and never ever had a problem with Warranty - least of all with a dual battery system. - and there were a number of Warranty claims...

I have (funnily enough, only tonight) fitted a second (130 a/h) battery to my 2005 V8 Cruiser. Only had to relocate the power steering reservoir, which could be easily reversed for sale, and you'd never know it had had one in there...

Each to their own, and you're certainly welcome to yours :)
Cheers,

Ivan
2008 D4D Prado

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 146477

Reply By: 4145derek - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 00:47

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 00:47
BATTERY

I would say you are looking for trouble with one battery !

Try the 'Box'

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 146488

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:30

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 07:30
gotta laugh..looks ok for the price but battery not included lol
FollowupID: 399990

Sponsored Links