Problem removing power steering pulley on hilux

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 21:55
ThreadID: 29343 Views:6849 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know a trick when removing the power steering pulley from the power steering pump on a 2.8D Hilux?

I have tried everything I can think of but it just wont undo - I have left the belt attached to help stop it rotating - however all I end up doing is rotating the motor a bit!

Is the thread on the screw left or right hand thread - I just assumed it was right hand.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-myfourby
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sarg - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:38

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2006 at 22:38
RH thread. Try over-tensioning the belt & then push down on the belt at the same time as trying to undo the nut. If you have the room,ie the radiator & AC condenser removed , a rattle gun usually does it. It's a bit dodgy but you can hold the nut with a socket & decent breaker bar & kick the motor over to crack the nut. Just don't let the motor start.
AnswerID: 146473

Follow Up By: myfourby - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:43

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:43
Thanks for your help!

I purchased a compressor and air-ratchet - I've wanted one for while - this was a good excuse! - didn't really help though.....

I managed to remove it with a large breaker bar while pulling on the belt! - However I now have another problem - the reason for removing the pulley in the first place was to remove half the tensioning bolt that had snapped off inside the power steering pump housing. I managed to drill a hole and insert an "easy-out" however - the easy-out snapped off inside! - Time to take it to the mechanics now and ask for a pump rebuild I think!

BTW - I also noticed that the top pivot bolt holding in the pump had rattled around so much that the hole in the pump housing had become elongated - causing the pump to rattle around a lot - obviously the reason for the tensioning bolt snapping! So pump really needs an overhaul anyway.

-myfourby
FollowupID: 400684

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:53

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:53
G'day myfourby,

A mate of mine (mechanic) once told me to use a horizontal (? never seen one) easy out. His explanation was that the normal conical shaped jobs just pushes the bolt outward (ie swelling the size of the problem bolt) when your trying to get it out and can result in breaking the easy out - makes sense.

Any way I know to late for your problem but just for the future.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 400687

Follow Up By: myfourby - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:43

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:43
Yeah - well thats what I was thinking as I was turning the easy-out - you can just imagine the swelling effect as you force it further into the drilled hole.

Easy-outs are great when they work - not so much fun when the break off!

-myfourby
FollowupID: 400924

Sponsored Links