Blocking Caravans and Trailers

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 00:26
ThreadID: 29348 Views:2137 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
After reading thread 29114 I thought i would put some thoughts about this subject to air. We bought our new van in 1998 and it was highly recommended that the van be blocked and I agree at first it was a pita, it was made easier when i adapted a Holden body jack. The advantages as i see it are: taking the weight off the tyres - Making the van more sturdy to live in - And releasing pressure on suspension. Of course it helps with the levelling of the van
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DustyM - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:10

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:10
Hello Clive,

Your post directed me to Thread 29114, which I had missed first time around. I found the contents of Thread 29114 very thought-provoking on the issue of the blocking of trailers. It also represented what to me is the best and worst of sites like the ExplorOz forum. The "best" is that there is a lot of information (sometimes conflicting) made available in one place from which a reader can draw his own conclusions. This information is often a mixture of well supported fact, supposition, personal experience, urban myth, old-wives tales and personal bias. However, the important thing is that it provides a reader with a basis from which he/she can form his/her own opinion, and then act accordingly.

The worst aspects of the ExplorOz Forum (and of post 29114) is the way that some people respond to other's postings - often responses are patronising, condescending, humiliating and, in extreme cases, abusive. It is fine to disagree with another's opinion - but let's do it in a civil manner. By disagreeing with someone's assertion and posting supportive arguments for that disagreement, we create debate that invariably leads to more information being made available to the audience. The more information that is available, the better the ability of the reader to make an informed decision. The objective of the debate is not to create winners and losers, or to be right (or wrong), but to get the information out on the table for others to judge.

In post 29114, Keith_A (Qld) introduced what was for me a very thought-provoking concept that moisture can enter a tyre's steel belts and cause corrosion/swelling leading to tyre failure. Kiwi Kia's subsequent derisive response that Keith_A's idea was from la-la-land was disappointing and, I believe, unwarranted. Keith_A then responded with some interesting quotes from the tyre industry which supported his intitial assertion. Davoe (Widgiemooltha) then pointed out that the authors of some of those quotes were not altogether disinterested parties, and may have had varied vested interests in seeing their quotes published. All good stuff.

What I really liked about Thread 29114 was the further idea which emerged from Shaker that blocking trailers was not all about relieving tyre problems, but might also be about relieving loads on the trailer wheel bearings and suspension. Again, very thought-provoking stuff.

After reading thread 29114, I am much better informed about the pros and cons of trailer blocking than I was previously. I believe that there are some benefits to be had from blocking your trailer if it is to be inactive for extended periods. However, I am not yet convinced that those benefits are worth the trouble and effort required.

Clive, I think we may also have crossed paths in the JUGA forum, which I find to be more civil and supporting than the ExplorOz scrum.

cheers
AnswerID: 146544

Follow Up By: Member - Clive N (WA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:43

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:43
Thanks for your reply DustyM,
I am intrigued to find out where our paths crossed as I am new to this forum bit.
As for the matter in hand about blocking caravans etc. I agree with you on some of the approaches to issues in discussion, however I am grateful for any tips that are beneficial to Caravanning in general and i hope that in some way I can help others, hopefully we all can help each other in some way
Cheers to you and for the New Year
FollowupID: 400200

Sponsored Links