Changing Landcruiser Oils etc.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:11
ThreadID: 29362 Views:4772 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Manual Landcruiser 105 2000

I have been reading on the 4WD forums about water crossings and what they can do to your diff, gearbox and transfer case oils.

I did a Google and I could not find much about servicing a Landcruiser. I found the following site which I found informative and will probably be a help to me.

Changing Fronteria Gearbox Oil

Does anybody have a good source of online information for servicing a Landcruiser?

Where can I buy an oil pump (Supercheap?)

Also can you recommend a good maintenance manual (Gregory?).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: kev 57 - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:40

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 12:40
punter, go to the tech pages on this site...http://www.lcool.org/technical/technical.html,I reckon you'll find what you're looking for in regards to servicing your cruiser

kev castlemaine
92 td cruiser
AnswerID: 146555

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:05

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:05
I've used the Gregorys manuals since the 1970's - they are very good for the money. The factory manuals are very comprehensive but over the top for the average DIY. The Ellery manuals are hard to use in my experience.

To replace oil in a LandCruiser, I bought a 5 litre fertilizer pressure spray pump from Bunnings, and simply pulled off the spray end. Just fill it with oil and pump it up. Can control the flow by kinking the tubing. It sometimes takes a while to put the thicker oil in, but requires very little effort, and is not too messy. A few others here have been using this too.

Best oils for your gearbox and transfer are Castrol VMX-M or Valvoline Duragear 75/85. Use LS90 for both front and rear diffs.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 146574

Follow Up By: David - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:34

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:34
I use the same as Phil but instead of pumping up by hand, get a tyre valve and rill a hole so that you can fit it into the top of the plastic bottle. Then you can use your compressor to pump up, this makes it alot easier and you still use the safety valve so you don't put to much pressure in container. Also done the same for when I spray round up. So Easy David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 400054

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:22
I'd recommend using Castrol VMX-80 for the gearbox. Made a huge improvement in mine over the oil Castrol recommend called Multitrax. As mentioned, the VMX-M comes highly recommended but is not an 'off the shelf' number at Supercrap.

Look at the Castrol Australia website and do a search for your rig. It lists all the correct oils and litres required. Easy.

Yours may have a LSD in the rear, make sure you use the correct oil (it will probably be different spec to the front diff)

The German made black oil syringe at Supercrap is fine providing you drill out the nozzle. In standard trim it is a PITA to use with thick oils.

Mybe extend your breathers while your under there too.
AnswerID: 146832

Sponsored Links