Travelling with kids

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:30
ThreadID: 29369 Views:1811 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We plan to do around Oz for a year or so with two kids - they are now only 2 and a half and 1 year old so we have time now to plan and work when is best to go.

If anyone has travelled with kids and has a viewpoint on what age is best for travelling and how they got around any school issues then love to hear your thoughts. We could go just before they start school or later and take them out for a year.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:27

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:27
When we did the block there were many young familys doing the same some were doing the school bit by corro others children that were young did not bother. Ask your local school and they may help.
But to my mind just get out and do it.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 146615

Reply By: wayneg - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:30

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:30
We are planning on the same thing. Our kids are 7 & 9 and we are planning on teaching them by correspondence. I was talking to a retired school principle about it he reakons they will learn more on the road than they would ever learn in school anyway.
AnswerID: 146701

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:33

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:33
Have a search of the site, there are some very good threads on this in the past.
when you search, search the archives too.

AnswerID: 146704

Reply By: outback epicurean - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:08

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:08
Hi

Don't stress about taking the kids out of school. We have done it several times, for a full term, last time daughter was in year 9. Learnt a lot more travelling to Cape York than sitting in a class room. Worked O/S for 6 months (kids 5, 11, 13 yo) and while they went to local school, kids again learnt more about life than staying at home by the TV. All have now completed degrees so my view is that this was very positive for their development.

We got them to write and keep a diary but even the teachers were not concerned about missing a term.

Go for it and have a great time
AnswerID: 146760

Sponsored Links