Ross River Fever

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 14:31
ThreadID: 29370 Views:7431 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

In 2004 I was In the NT/WA on business and was unfortunate enough to become infected with Ross River fever.

A year earlier, one of my friends was also infected and, now suffers continual poor health (low immune system, as a consequence of the mosquito bites).

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to be re-infected again with another bite?

The reason I ask this is because I go north each year (holidays) and don’t want to be put through that misery again.

In closing, could I recommend to everyone considering a trip up north, that you take every precaution against mosquitos, particularly late afternoon and evening. I’ve been going up there for years and, whilst I gave it some thought, never expected to be infected.

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 15:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 15:11
Kim

Dont know about reinfection although i know a possible cure. Got told a while ago by an old cocky that giving yourselve a good boot from an electric fence cures it.

A good friend of ours was suffering from Ross river at that time and was reluctant to try the cure (for olbvious reasons). Several months later she inadvertantly came in contact with her own fence and gave herself a real good shock.

She has been better ever since. And after her husband got his wind back after laughing so much he has been happier to.

My wife worked in GP surgery for while and has since heard similar stories, although no doctor will suggest it.

I suppose you just have to make sure that you have no heart problems etc. ( I take no responsibility with this supposed cure)

Alan

AnswerID: 146584

Follow Up By: kimprado - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:41

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:41
Hi Ken,

First of all, I wound'nt put a great deal of faith in old cockys or stockmen. They have a tendacy to bullsh@t. How do I know this?

Some years ago I provided kayak tours. At the finish of one trip, I approached a fence and, without looking, proceeded to climb over said fence. Needless to say,it created a great deal of entainment for the crew when my nether regions came in contact with the electric fence.

This did nothing to protect me from Ross River fever!

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 400074

Follow Up By: Alan S (WA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:50

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 16:50
I suppose like a lot of things it works with some and not others. Certainly worked with our friend. But i think it only cures not immunises you from RRV
FollowupID: 400076

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:36

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:36
gooday kim

ken didnt say it would protect you but can cure some i also have read and heard of this cure but for some it is supposed to work

steve
FollowupID: 400082

Reply By: govo - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:04

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:04
wonder if this electric fence thing works for Barmah forrest fever( wife contracted it 6 years ago )..which has the same symptoms as ross river......and Kim l got a good boot from a live fence years ago while pig hunting...A mate and l were chasing a small mob of pigs when we came apon a live fence..l placed my rifle on the secand strand, pushed down and started to climb through, but failed to see a paper wasp nest 2 feet behind me..got stung 5 times and lost my grip on the rifle and then copped a zap on the inside leg...my mate reckon l was bobbing up and down like a yoyo yelling my head off..needless to say the pigs lived another day as we were too stuffed from laughing to chase them.
AnswerID: 146607

Follow Up By: kimprado - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:59

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 17:59
Hi Govo,

Pigs will do that every time. Their smart animals

I was drinking with a pig many years ago at the Betoora pub. he told me about this hunter who placed his rifle on the second strand of a fence, got bitten on the arse by a wasp, then proceeded to entertain all his mates.

Don't you just love the Outback?

PS I also have wasp story, but it is too embassing to tell.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 400088

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:11

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 22:11
Kim.
I had R.R.F about 15 years ago. It slowly comes good and I have had no problems for about 10 years. I make a special effort to kill any mosy that bites me as I do not want my friends to get R.R.F from that mosy. Eric.
AnswerID: 146678

Reply By: Member - Mark S (S/Coast QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:29

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:29
Kim,
I got ross river fever when i was in mackay about 12 years ago. I still suffer from some symptons. It is different in every case. They say once you are bitten you are immuned, but then the damage is alredy done! A good web site for info is www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au or www.health.gov.au. These sites will give you some info on all mosquito borne diseases.
Cheers
Mark.
AnswerID: 146762

Follow Up By: kimprado - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 13:03

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 13:03
Thanks Mark. I'll have a look at those web sites.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 400269

Reply By: slow mower - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:09

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:09
Kim, tha latest info from South Australian health Commission (6th January 2006) is far from encouraging. They have reported an upsurge in reported cases particularly in the South East, West Coast and Riverland areas of the state. They have strong suspicions that the disease is being spread (by mossies) from infected marsupials. Thought you might be interested

Cheers
AnswerID: 146843

Sponsored Links