We must be whimps

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 18:17
ThreadID: 29383 Views:2245 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Theres always great debate about the best tyre, the best esky, the coldest fridge etc etc. Spare a thought for our fathers grand fathers whoever. My father had to drive on gut busting roads every day to make a living, in a ford prefect van loaded up with milk containers. TYRES bloody 3ins wide, side walls as thick as balloons. But they seemed to get away with it back then. How many blokes went arond oz ( or attempted to) in machinary that people would be embarrased to even sit in these days. But they probably enjoyed their trips away with out all the bells and whistles as much as we do today. Good on the ol blokes.

Regards Axle
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 18:47

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 18:47
I couldn't agree more.
However they were probably well prepared all the same. I think these days there are plenty of people completely unprepared, and even the best vehicle won't save them. Witness the fact that people still travel and even walk in the desert with no water.
AnswerID: 146633

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:12

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:12
Very good point get a hold of this months overlander and have a look at Norm needham going to the cape 30 Year ago not a lift kit in sight.
We see it every trip on the gear people take and by day 3 they wished they hadn't.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 146639

Follow Up By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:15

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:15
Saw that Cape York article Eric, very good reading.

What are some of the classic gear excesses you see on the trips?

I think I (as well as Roachie of course) may need to know some.
:)

Cheers
John
FollowupID: 400186

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:28

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:28
Ozdyssey One couple have a large 4wd like a Nissan 4.2 turbo
It has no back seats the gear starts from behind the cargo barrier and goes all the way to the back door full height and all the way along the full length roof rack.
I wont go any further in case I upset some one as I say to people who book with us KISS keep it simple.

All the best
Eric

as you can see I need all the room for the kids.

FollowupID: 400203

Reply By: disco driver - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:50

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 19:50
Hi Axle
Is it because the oldtimers knew the limitations of their vehicles and were smart enough to know when to stop, get out and check what is in front of them rather than believing all the stuff seen on TV ads??? (you know, stock standard straight out of the showroom vehicles doing things that even tricked up Series vehicles would never do)

Mind you when you are driving something that was originally designed in the late 40's and has only been improved on since you dont have too many problems, do you? (50 plus years of improving must count for something)

Apart from that, most of the old timers were able to fix anything with a pair of pliers. some No 8 fencing wire and lots of inginuity, something that appears to be lacking in todays lifestyle.

Keep the shiny side up.
AnswerID: 146650

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:06

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:06
Nah... no wimp here...

I KNOW what's good.

Mitsubishi Delica
Cooper Tyres ST
Waeco Fridge CF 35 & CF 15
Black Wolf Turbo 300 Tent

Now, where's that Kevlar bullet proof vest, 'cause I'm gonna be needin' it right about now...

Wolfie
AnswerID: 146651

Follow Up By: Axle - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:41

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 20:41
Maybe two of em.
FollowupID: 400113

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:15

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:15
Wow, do you have one of those too - gee Wolfie you have everything!

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 400233

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 21:29

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 21:29
I was young and foolish in the 1970's and with 2 mates toured central australia in Dec/Jan in a 1969 KE16 Corolla wagon. WE were inspired by Jeff Carters great book of the Australian Outdoors. I made a sump guard, bullbar, tropical roof, and had a 27MHz CB for emergency. Carried a few spares, and 50 litres of water. Used the scissor jack as a bead breaker. It got bashed around underneath, but the vehicle was so light and skinny that you could get over sand dunes with a runup, and had one wheel up on the side of the track when you needed extra clearance.

No fridge or esky - just used 2 water bags, and ate a lot of camp pie and surprise peas and powdered milk. Spent a lot of time cooling off in swimming holes and met some pretty wierd and wonderful people.

Naturally, I'm too soft now to ever do that again. I take the best of everything, and our camp chairs even recline now. We have smoked salmon and mackeral at beer o'clock, and rib eye on the BBQ. I guess thats the difference 25 years makes :-))

Anyone else remember the 70's???

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 146670

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:39

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:39
I was a high school and uni student during the 70's- don't remember much at all..vague recollection of parties, girls, beer, parties, beer, girls thats sort thing

:-)

I don;t have pretty picture in my sih anymore.
Don't ask me why.
FollowupID: 400172

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:39

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:39
Phil, I decided just one way into my married life we would drive to Perth from Melbourne and be back just eleven days later.

The vehicle, a Ford Capri with the 1600 motor and Weber carb could go fairly well but had a history of alternator breakdowns so I fitted a second battery. It had a bar(I called it a galah bar as that was about all we hit) on the front for mounting the two sets of driving lights. The water bag you talk of, had it's point. I carried one spare wheel and two tyres on top. We tented until Ceduna where we had a black frost.

Yeh, we carried water, trouble light, all sorts of food.

On our return we stopped at Ivy Tanks where rain caught up with us in a big way but we pressed on and just got to Ceduna through the truck wheel ruts. Momentum was everything at up to 70 mph. Could not see out of any windows except the swept wind sreen. I guess the press on attitude has kept us together ever since.

I know how we look for some luxury now in comparison as oldies well not me, I am only 35 in my mind;-) The smoked salmon is a nice light to carry substitute for having for any meal. Nice to have some antipasto mix of everything these days for an impromptu meal too. Beer o'clock anyone? King sixe bed at the end of the day... zzzzzzz

Oh, the honeymoon, we got back in time to spend some hours in the Claire Valley wineries and had room for the boxes.... The only incident of note was being stopped by a police car in Northam as a driving light relay had stuck on and nearly blinded him hew said. It came unstuck as I lifted the bonnet.
Cheers,
Who?
John

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 400222

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:40

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:40
Phil

The 70's were a bit of a blurr and don't remember much of them un less I concentrate LOL but I started my camping thing in 1963. Have done some memorable trips to isolated areas on ordinary cars and got there and back, sometimes without trouble.

Pure good luck than good management :o)
FollowupID: 400367

Reply By: bombsquad - Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:38

Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 23:38
"when I was a kid I had to walk All the way to the television to change channels".... Saw that in a far side cartoon and sums it up for me, things that make life easier are good in my book. Its not that I didn't enjoy the old trips in my dads old cruiser, but for me and my family give me the rooftop camper, aircon, sat phone and MOST of the other crap we seem to have to take (some could be culled, but I hate needing something that can do a job right and its t home in the shed.....

The technologies I use made it safer and more comfortable fo me and my family. Give me cold beer and a nice meal any day, not food I could 'survive on but it tastes like.....'

Andrew
AnswerID: 146705

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:39

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 00:39
The technologies I use made it safer and more comfortable for me and my family. Give me cold beer and a nice meal any day, not food I could 'survive on but it tastes like.....'

I bet "the old timers" would have embraced your philosophy too!

I can image THEM (the old timers) sitting around the campfire telling each other how soft they each are, when one of them read some article in last months paper, of how those old timers, Sturt, Stuart, and Giles! They took 6 months to get out here, and now we get here in the lap of luxury in our 40 series, and Series 1's..........in 2 weeks! ;-)

I can still hear their echos......... "Jeezuz, we got it easy now!"

And in 30 years time, our grandkids will be saying that WE have it hard, having to carry all those embellishments around when all they needed was to use this fantastic teleportation device.

..." Imagine having to endure 6 days of driving to the Cape with all that dust, and heat, when this teleporter gets us here and home in seconds!

:)

One of lifes merry-go-rounds!
FollowupID: 400193

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:59

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 07:59
G'day Axle,

was going to put in a one liner but there does not appear to be too many pythonites here so I'll put the lot in.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You're right there, Obadiah.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
A cup o' cold tea.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Without milk or sugar.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Or tea.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
In a cracked cup, an' all.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was right.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye, 'e was.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
ALL:
They won't!
AnswerID: 146738

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:48

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:48
good to have a DVD in the bush to have all the Python movies, eh bushfix?

Remind us of the humour of hardship ;-)
Cheers,
Who?
John

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 400224

Follow Up By: Axle - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:04

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:04
Great to see some blokes still acknowledge the good ol days.
Different world now though, great replys.
Good ol days caus there gone

Happy Travelling
Axle
FollowupID: 400229

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:05

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:05
G'day John,

Wife's Father has just given her a 60GB ipod for Christmas!!!!!!!!! bloody thing claims to be able to store 150 hrs of video, (150? says Eric Olthwaite) that'd be good.) So i'm currently changing from 98 to xp to support the thing, but like Willem has done it looks like i will be able to stash my sounds in a teeny device instead of filling up space with cds. that is a good thing.

actually, ipod is going to cause a bit of confusion in the bush, might have to call it Bruce to keep it clear

FollowupID: 400230

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:15

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 11:15
Some fair points have been raised so I would like to buy into this discussion. I, too have roughed it when young and can remember well sleeping in a floorless tent (that's right ladies - on the DIRT) and using the backpack as my pillow. These days my camping is much more civilised mainly because it is available and I can afford same. So I pondered if our forefathers would have taken all the C R A P I take these days if they were available then and I reckon they would have been loaded like Roachie (sorry Bill but I needed an extreme analogy). The reason is they were practical men and adventurers, so lets see shall i take a camel train or a modern 4wd, what do you think Mr Burke and Wills? What about a GPS? This'll make sure we won't get lost - oh no, I'd sooner navigate by the stars - don't think so! They used the best equipment available to them - as we do now.

So I don't think we are soft at all, just travellers of our time but I do feel that the practical skills so well displayed by our forefathers is somewhat wanting as there are plenty of smart people that can't change a tyre. But then a lot of these people are not attracted to 4wding and the bush like us (OK I know there are some). But really would you want to do a repair with 8 guage wire instead of a welder if given the choice (I have both in the car and can do a mean cobb & co) - just to show that your not soft?

Kind regards
AnswerID: 146768

Follow Up By: arthurking83 - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:54

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:54
Quote Beatit:
[I, too have roughed it when young and can remember well sleeping in a floorless tent (that's right ladies - on the DIRT) and using the backpack as my pillow.]

*Yorkshire accent on*
.......You were LUCKY!............

:))
FollowupID: 400386

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)