Naracoorte Apex 4X4 Endurance

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 05, 2006 at 21:42
ThreadID: 29390 Views:1763 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just a reminder of a an earlier post about an off road event being run in Naracoorte SA by apex as a fund raiser. This promises to be a good event and is being organised so an unmodified 4WD will be able to enter. At the moment there is only one paid entrant and it would be good to see many in this event. Have a look at the link for more information.

www.naracoorteapex.com
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:09

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:09
I had a look at the link. I for one, am not willing to act on such scant info.

It is possible that the extremely brief details are contributing to the lack of entries.

So, here's my two bob's worth:

Just what is the exact nature of each event? I have read the info but have no clear idea what the event is. Yeah, I know I'm dumb.....but perhaps, judging by the absence of entries, so is everyone else. May be cleaning up the spelling errors on the notice I printed off is a small idea - other wise it could imply that things are not well organised/run.

Yeah, I see that an unmodified 4 x 4 can enter. What classes are there? If there is only one class, what consitutes a place or win? Or are you suggestiong that a purpose built, competition based 4x 4 will get as far as a road stock Subaru Outback?

Who are the judges? Who are you supported by? Who is the event affiliated with?

Are there prizes? Why are you not featuring your local sponsors?

What is the entry fee?

Why are you asking for a tow bar ball as a recovery point? Many in the 4wd fraternity would suggest this is ridiculous and potentially dangerous. That aspect alone might put them off . Do you really expect an owner to mount a towbar & ball on the front of their vehicle?
What recovery gear do you provide?
What do you expect entrants to provide in the way of recovery gear?
Will I need gumboots?
Can I clean my vehicle on site atfterwards?

And so on..................................

Perhaps you could attach a photo of the caravan park & hotels; have you organised a bulk rate for campers and motel stayers? Give more details about ease of staying, costs of staying, etc

Tell us how far Naracoorte is from other major locations, in time & kilometres. Tell us what you & the distrct have to offer. (Personally I am aware, seeing as how I once lived there). Supply a map of exactly where the Motor Cycle grounds are, in realtion to Naracoorte & districts

Who are you pitching this event to? What is in it for the entratnts? Are we expected to have fun? If so, tell us.

Is the event also linked to other forums, 4WD clubs & organisations?

I s'pose I am anxious on your behalf - a lot of work is potentially going to be un-rewarded if you don't sell this event. The (any) target audience is only interested in benefits & not just a few scant features.

Perhaps a call to the Whyalla boys might assist - they run a big event later in the year and started from scratch just a few short years ago.

hope this helps.................

Cheers

AnswerID: 146745

Reply By: Scojohara - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:36

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:36
Rick,
We have taken note of your reply however we need to remember that the SE of SA at present does not have such an event running. It is important that we all show a positive attitude towards this event to help it to become a success and therefore continue. I have looked the website however I believe most of your questions are covered there. If you still have questions I encourage you to contact the phone numbers supplied on the site.
AnswerID: 146992

Reply By: nat000 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:25

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:25
Rick

I was disapointed to read your response to the Naracoorte 4WD event. As it seems unlikely that you are a potential competitor I will keep this brief -

There are many people putting in a lot of time, effort and money to develop an event for the 4WDers of SA. The organisation of this weekend is progressing well and there are now many entries received. To make this a success in its first year and in the future, we need supporters, not knockers.

For answers to your many questions, please read the pages of the web site carefully. Anything that is not clear enough could be answered in one simple phone call (organisers numbers are on the website) Regarding prizes - most competitors will be more than satisfied with the $4000 worth up for grabs, as it also states on the web site.

Finally, a question for you. Where can I find information about the Whyalla event you refer to? After speaking with people from the Whyalla 4wd club (at the Glendambo 4x4 endurance event in June) I was of the understanding that they do not run any such event, they do more of a tag along tour.

Hope this helps
Nat
AnswerID: 147002

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:55

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:55
I don't want to be a knocker either but I think Rick has made some valid and positive suggestions. I looked at this event from your post on Australian 4WD monthly site where the same concerns about the tow ball where raised. I planned on going along but as I go 4wheelin with my two kids, especially on a long weekend I decided it wasn't for me. I'm not going to buy crash helmets for a one off event and don't have a navigator (unless you count my 11yo ).
I wish you well with the event as we need more on the SA calendar.
AnswerID: 147007

Reply By: nat000 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:19

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:19
Yes, that towball issue. The weekend will include a variety of stages designed to provide a balance of skill and vehicle capabilities. One of these will be a trailer backing stage - this is the only requirement of the towball. Appropriate recovery points are also reqired for safe recovery by official vehicles throughout the event.

Unfortunately this is one of those details that was not made clear enough to the readers earlier. I hope this now makes sense.

As well as building an exciting and challenging track, we hope that this variety in skills stages will encourage more standard vehicles to enter as there is only a limited number of competition style 4x4 trucks in SA. We are cautious of building an event pruely for that type of vehicle.

The navigator will also be required for some of the skills stages.

As for the Helmets - this is one of the side effects of public liability insurance etc. Without this safety rule, events like this will not be able to run. Hopefully most potential competitiors will be able to find one to borrow for the weekend.

Sorry to hear you will not be able to make it.

For readers who have not yet visited the event web site - please check it out at - www.naracoorteapex.com
AnswerID: 147013

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:45

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 16:45
Thanks for clearing that up nat000. Good luck with the event. Pity I can't talk the g/f into it but it's not her sort of weekend.
FollowupID: 400457

Reply By: matt000 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:15

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:15
rick sa
whats the latest on the Whyalla boys' "BIG EVENT", later in the year? I cant find anything about it on the net. I just need to know when it is, and ill enter
AnswerID: 147646

Sponsored Links