Which suspension for 02 GU 4.2td Patrol

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 13:29
ThreadID: 29411 Views:2537 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I would like any information both good and bad in relation to lifting my Patrol between 2 and 4 inches.
Which are the preferred brands.
What is the optimum lift?
What are the rough costs involved?
Thanks
Chris.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 14:12

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 14:12
I have found that an 80mm heavy duty lift (TJM XGS) is perfect...
It isnt high enough to warrant caster correction bushes or to worry about brake lines etc etc...
So long as you keep your sway bars connected you will get the lift and still have good articulation without the hassles of popping springs out and stretching brake lines..
AnswerID: 146794

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:07

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:07
Hi Voxson, Are 16inch mags available on the new UGLY BOX Patrol. Or are they all 17 inch now?? Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 400275

Follow Up By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 16:18

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 16:18
It's funny you say UGLY BOX Patrol because i agree and would have bought a 2003 model instead....BUT the Bankstown Spew Brown interiors made me feel like i was driving a 1983 VC SL Commodore...

And to answer your question, the DX model comes with 16" wheels..
FollowupID: 400288

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:34

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:34
Yeah, the series 1 tail lights were ordinary, they fixed them on the later model and look nice, the current are really well..... hidious. Maybe the plan is to revamp them to look better for the last and final model as we know it!!! They even deleted the read aluminium step thats been there for 2 decades, I guess it saves them 5 bucks a vehicle. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 400348

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:55

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:55
I reckon them tail lights would be a grand each...

whats with all new cars going back to the Toyota Tercel days of 4/2's of the rear of the car as a tail light? Are people THAT blind?

I think Reversing lights should be standard and that size with quad 150w globes in em!
FollowupID: 400482

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 14:16

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 14:16
Cobes, Not sure what you want the lift for which will determine how high you should go but anything beyond 2" costs will escalate because you will need camber correction and extended breather and brake lines. There are potential legal/insurance issues beyond this as welll I think. You should get a quality 2" kit fitted for around $1500. Do a forum search on springs and shocks you will see opinions vary. You can pay as little as $80 for a shock as much as $280 and everything in between. Popular brands for the Patrol lifts are Old Man Emu (ARB) springs and shocks, Kings and Dobinson Springs, Koni, Bilstein, Tough Dog shocks.
AnswerID: 146795

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:12

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:12
On my GU, which is lifted with 4" front and 5" rear Lovells + TJM XGS shockies, it was not necessary to do anything else (eg: I have not lengthened the brake lines etc). Those springs have been on now since 2002 and it was only about 8 months ago that I finally decided to see if getting 2 degree castor bushes fitted would assist the steering shimmy; it did not, so i reckon I wasted my money having it done.
I run my GU with both sway bars removed and although there is a bit of extra body roll when driving on roundabouts etc, it is not all that noticeable. The lack of the sway bars plus the addition of an ARB front air-locker is certainly a recipe for giving the truck great traction qualities!!

So, to answer the original question.....it is difficult to say based on the limited info provided. Lifting a truck should be based on the intended use. If it's for touring with the occasional bit of rough off-road/fire-trail driving, a 2" lift would suffice in most instances. I just like that little extra bit of lift which tends to counteract the fact that my truck is always loaded to the 3 tonne mark as a minimum and mostly has more than that on it.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 400294

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:50

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:50
Chris,

I have had for 200000km a set of dobinson coils backed up by OME shocks + poly airs and this setup lifted the vehicle 50mm and it is still at that height today after lots of weight and long trips.
Thats what has worked for me but others will suggest different. One thing I would suggest if you plan to have a bit of weight in it from time to time is to go with a set of airbags as well (cheap for longevity of combination).

Cheesrs Trevor.
AnswerID: 146808

Reply By: Nick R - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:54

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 15:54
Managed to come by some 50mm longer load carrying springs which would be great for when I to the camper,
will I need longer shocks or would originals suffice?
are the cab-chassis springs the same as those used in wagons?
Thanks in advance,
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 146810

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:16

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:16
Not sure whether the coils on a cab-chassis are the same as a wagon, but I'd be surprised if they were different.
I would not even consider fitting new springs without changing the shockers too. the factory shocks are usually stuffed after about 40,000klm of reasonably sedate driving.
FollowupID: 400295

Follow Up By: simple - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:55

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:55
ute and wagon springs are the same
FollowupID: 400340

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:21

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 17:21
I have a GQ with TJM XGS and very pleased with it. We have given it a thrashing and still going very well (www.gossadventures.com)
One of the latest 4x4 mags just did a test on suspension so worth a look at the newsagent.
AnswerID: 146831

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:01

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:01
G'day Cobes,

You will find different vehicles of the same brand and model respond differently to suspension changes, especially so with the GU.
I lifted mine 4inches with dobinsons and koni's, the koni's BTW make it ride smoother than factory, after installing winch, bar, dual batts, 55ltr wtr tank in rear and storage system it settled down to a comfortable 3 inches.
I drove it without caster correction bushes, was bloody terrible and responded well to having them installed, unlike Roachies, where they made no difference, same model and eng, go figure?
I also drove it without stabalisers and I could live with it until I loaded it up for a trip, akin to the Queen Mary in high sea's, 1/2 hour and they were back in again.
So you can see what works for one doesn't always work for the other, different likes and dislikes, different uses, and importantly, different driving styles.
For 3 inches I didn't need to extend either brake or diff breather hoses.
Make sure to keep in mind the legal aspect, I think 2" is highest legal, and also that when you purchase a commercial "2 inch lift kit" comprising of springs and shocks it will most likely only lift your truck 1 1/2 inches.
And remember, choosing a suspension package is like choosing what brand your next set of tyres is going to be, you will be completely and thoroughly confused by the end of it all. lol
If you go to the top of the forum home page and highlight "both" then type in 'suspension' or 'springs and shocks' or similar, tick "body" then hit "go" you'll be reading for days.

Good luck
Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 146840

Reply By: DesC - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:09

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 18:09
I fitted OME in my GU wagon. It does all its life loaded and on crap roads so i have the 24mm highlift coils out of a GU ute in the rear of mine and the heaviest highlift coils available in the front. Last trip it weighed 3980kg when it went over the weighbridge. Never had offset nolathene bushes, i use all genuine rubber bushes as those nolathene ones transmit too many vibrations and road shock through the vehicle. The vehicle rides really well and handles great both on and offroad. I think it cost $400 odd dollars for the springs at the time and $115 a shocky. Had the rear shockies replaced under warranty after 10000 km's of them being on there and then i fitted those 24mm ute springs in the rear and haven't had another drama for 150000 km.
AnswerID: 146842

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:22

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:22
What state do you lift in? 50mm is limit in Qld and WA is becoming hard. Vic is nearly impossible to get engineers at the moment on lift kits..

Insurance jumps in $ and becomes very hard to find with over 75mm lift with lots of insurance companies. some even have a limit of 50mm and a few wont allow any lift at all.

You need an engineers certification to go 4inch or more which is becoming hard.
So start there.

What is the optimum lift? You can gauge that answer from these few questions. There is NO optimum lift answer really, there are too many variables.

Why do you need a lift? You need it or you want it?
What is your budget?
What sort of wheeling do you do?
Where do you wheel most? Outback? Mountains? Mud? Rocks?
How heavy is your truck fully loaded?
Do you tow regularly? What do you tow? How heavy is what you tow?
How many people usually travel in car?
What is the car mainly used for? Weekdays, occasional weekender? Weekend warrior only?
What accessories do you have fitted? Heavy front end, heavy rear with LRT, wheel carriers etc
What accessories do plan to have fitted in future?
What size tires do you run?
What size tires do you plan to run?

There is no hard and fast answer to the "optimum" lift size, there are numerous variables but you can get a start from these questions...

IMHO, with a GU, considering you can fit 36's with a 3inch lift, you dont really need more than that unless your truck weight 4.5ton like Roachies and tows the QE2.

What is good what is bad in Shocks and Springs??
You will get - and + stories on every single brand of shock and spring out there.

Shocks:
IMHO, you cant go wrong with OME Nitrochargers for the price, backup, warranty, and service.
If your after the better quality, go with LTR's, they are great. I run them with a 4nich lift and love them.

If you want the best in shocks, go Koni but you will pay for it. I have run them with a 2inch lift in the past, and would run them again tomorrow.

TJM XGS is very good also for the price. Again, I have run these when I had only the 2inch lift.

I had ranchos with a 6+inch lift, and they died 4 times, and others in our club have suffered same fate on GQ/GUs

Springs:
Dobinson or Kings are the best, tell them the answers to all the questions above and they can match a set of springs and shocks together, which is the most important part - MATCHED SHOCKS AND SPRINGS!

Good luck.
AnswerID: 146927

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:46

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 17:46
That's a BLOODY good answer Trucky.
One of the most informative ones I've seen you do.
Well done!
Bet your two pointer fingers are in for some remedial care though! lol

Avgoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 400467

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:53

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:53
Ive posted the same one few times before :)~

Been touch typing for years.. Comes with workin in IT :( All i need is the mini skirt and Crutchless knickers. :)
FollowupID: 400481

Reply By: Member - Chris M (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:57

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:57
Check your local state laws.

If your not worried...4 inch dobinson kit, you will need panhard rods, drop down plates/ and or bushes. Depends who you know for price. Shop around. Used dobinson on 4 trucks now without a hitch, work well both on or off.

Cheers

Chris.
AnswerID: 147065

Sponsored Links