first timer going to Fraser HELP!!!!!

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:04
ThreadID: 29418 Views:4448 Replies:24 FollowUps:32
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone, Joanne here.
My husband has one more week off work and we bought a Pajero in december.. hence he wants to go to Fraser Island. Of course we will not be idiots! I was searcing the web and looking for a forum that might be able to give s some suggestions of somewhere to camp? what to do and not to do, and as the wife who will prepare the food and eskys for the 5 nights of being there, am really not sure what to do about keeping food and drinks cold. (considering if we weren't anywhere near where ice is sold)
Any and all advice would be really appreciated. my email is jarsofclay@optusnet.com.au

Thanks in advance
Joanne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:22
Sorry! or if anyone has a suggestion of where we may camp, we like/prefer quiet, love rainforesty stuff, but having the 4WD hubby will want to get a bit of experience sand driving etc under is belt. is there somewhere else besides Fraser that would give us that type of atmosphere. We are based in Brisbane.
Thanks.
AnswerID: 146854

Reply By: guzzi - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:45

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:45
Joanne,
Equip yourselves with a decent 12v aircompressor ($250 or so), a good tyre pressure guage, snatch strap, a couple of rated shackles and a shovel.
Air down your tyres to 16 to 20 psi, a lot of people dont.
Get a tide book,you usually get a tide sheet from the rangers office when you purchase your permits.
Get a mapof Fraser
Beach travel at low tide is easier. A couple of hours either side of high tide is usually OK.
Beware this week there will be KING tides which leave very little beach to drive on and make the creeks flowing across the beach deep at high tide and the drop off into them further at low tides. These can be car killers if you hit them at speed, and yes they can suddenly appear in front of you as they can hide between small undulations on the beach.
Observe the speed limits on the beach and the tracks, this will help you avoid the drop offs and whoopdedoos on the beach and aviod headons with tour busses and speeding trooopcarriers full of brain dead backpackers on the tracks.
Ice, milk etc is available from all of the villages. Fresh water also.
For a lot of the beach camping BYO chemical toilet is a must.
There is good camping 6 to 7 km north of Eurong behind the dunes, well sheltered but no facilities, byo everything.
As to eskys and ice etc do a search on this forum for iceboxes, lots of interesting tips in there.
No doubt there will be others who will jump in shortly with more tips and camping spots.
Most importantly........enjoy the trip its a great place
AnswerID: 146857

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:57

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 19:57
Thanks Guzzi, everything that you first mentioned of supplies is taken care of. I jsut don't know if it is wise for us to go over there for a first time with out having others with us, I will mention the king tides to hubby, certainly not something we would want to encounter !!!!!
FollowupID: 400319

Reply By: bazza - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:01

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:01
hi jo - sorry 2 b a Nark - keep away from sand - any sand - especially beach.
beachsand = RUST&Burnt-out clutches. Sand driving needs fair amount of experience which comes with time. Fraser Is. is a major disaster just waiting to happen. Speeding vehicles - swimmers - sunbaking - sudden wash outs - fishermen
Why put your hard earned money&paj. to unnecessary risks. Hop on a ferry or a tour to isl. - yes expensive but much cheaper than ruining your Paj.
Keep yr wagon for the Bush & it'll last you forever - Bushing will out-way the running costs . yeah i know will cop flak for this response however had a Paj. for 11 years and soon found out Sanding was not the way to go. - no matter what you decide you'll certainly have fun - best of cheers.. bazzaoz
AnswerID: 146861

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:09

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:09
you aren't being a nark Bazza all advice is being weighed carefully by me here! I don't feel 100% on going there for a first time without others. I did just ring hubby but his mind is distracted with preping and painting at the minute! We really love rainforest stuff to, we love camping but you know how you just 'don't know what are the good places to camp' Our plan is to head out on monday so we need to have some sort of destination worked out by tomorrow.
So anyone have any great rainforesty/fresh water area that they are willing to share?!!!
FollowupID: 400321

Follow Up By: porl - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:36

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:36
hey jo

i don't disagree with the factual content of what bazza said but i idealogically disagree with the sentiment, i live in brisbane and decided if i am gonna stay i am gonna go on fishing and camping trips to the islands and beaches round this place. Do drive on the sand on the beach, its fantastic to do, but don't drive in saltwater if you can help it. Rust proof the vehicle and go at it properly afterward to clean. Yes eventually it might rust but hey that's why you didn't buy a corrolla instead right ? use it and enjoy it.

I have been to Fraser many times as a 4WD novice and sure i got bogged and made mistakes etc but never drowned my 4WD and its still NOT rusty and there were no disasters.

FollowupID: 400366

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:20

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:20
frasers

tides

fraser report

AnswerID: 146866

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:26

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:26
Interestigly diesel was $1.79 per litre
Spray can of rid was $12
Box of coco pops $8 ETC , ETC
FollowupID: 400331

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:31

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:31
They know how to make their money!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the info Glen! printed it out for hubby.
FollowupID: 400332

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:44

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:44
Thought of some other stuff.
Central station has no sea breeze . You will die in this heat .
The lake mackenzie carpark will be full by 8.00am this time of year.
Go there early , but i doubt you will want to drive there everyday for a swim .
There are no patrolled surf beaches . (sharks,stingers,rips,)
All this aside its still awesome .
FollowupID: 400336

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:33

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:33
Hi Jo and Mark:

All the advice above is good stuff ... plenty to think about.

You can camp at Central Station, which is the centre of the island's timber industry, surrounded by rainforest. But then you can drive there anyway. It has flush toilets, hot showers ($1 for 3 minutes I think ...), camp kitchen, rubbish bins, and public telephone.

A good ice box (not a normal Esky) is a good investment, and I have managed to keep ice (solid block, not crushed) for the 5 days I have been on there. But you will get ice at all the villages, as was previously mentioned.

Might I suggest you try getting hold of a book called "Fraser Island, the Essential Visitors Guide" by Brad McCarthy. Cant see it available here on Exploroz, but there is a website and you can order it online. I still find it very useful and I usually get up to Fraser a couple of times a year. Covers just about everything you need to know, including camping etc etc .....

Here is the link to that site.

Just take it easy when you are on there, as there are a few dangers if you get too relaxed about driving there ... "braind dead backpackers" being high on the list.

Enjoy it .. I always do ...

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 146870

Reply By: Member - David 0- Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:40

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:40
If you are concerned about Fraser as a first time destination, I wonder is North Stradbroke a safer first time option. I haven't been there myself but have read a bit about it.
AnswerID: 146873

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:46

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:46
Going to straddie next week .
Some sort of rain depression is sure to develop while im there .
FollowupID: 400337

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:17

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:17
Glenno I was over Straddie for the Christmas break, man it's busy, but everyones in a good mood anywhy so it's fine. The sand is so soft it not funny, with heaps of guys running highway pressure and chopping it up. They wonder why their cars are reving their heads of and the wheels are spinning.

The main beach camping spots are the go, everyones more spread out. As for the rain depression, your fine, it'll come when I'm over on Moreton at the end of the month.
FollowupID: 400344

Reply By: burnsy - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:41

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 20:41
For your first trip I suggest you try Teewah beach north of Noosa.
It has sand driveing along the beach/beach camp sites/bush camp sites at Freshwater camp & some rainforest area along the Freshwater track towards Rainbow beach,
Also it's a lot cheaper.
I often go there for a long weekend as it's about 2 1/2 hours from Brisbane.
Only down side is it could be a bit busy this time of year.

I'm no computor expert but cut & past the below link will tell you more,
Have a great trip.
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/projects/park/index.cgi?parkid=66&noback=1

Regards Burnsy
AnswerID: 146874

Reply By: Big Woody - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:24

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 21:24
Hi Jo and Mark,

A lot of cautions above but I can assure it is not all that scarey. I live an hour from Fraser Island and have probably been there a couple of hundred times but I still remember going on my own the first time at 17 y.o. My first 4wd was an XY Falcon 4wd and I wish I still had it. I have had another 33 4wd's since then and I have never damaged one of them in sand driving.

You sound like cautious, well prepared people with common sense. That is all you need. The best way to get experience is to just go and do it. When you get home you will be experienced.

Believe me if a British or German backpacker can rock up in our country and go straight to the island and drive a Troopy loaded with 11 bodies and all the gear for a week all over the island with no experience (or common sense), then a couple such as yourselves in a capable vehicle like a Pajero will have no problems.

As mentioned above the key points I would advise are:

1. Take your time and don't turn you vehicle sharply when at speed on sand
2. Lower your tyre pressure to 16 - 18 psi while you are on the ferry and pump them up when you get back to the mainland.
3. If you still get bogged somewhere dop your tyre pressures further until you can get out and then pump them back up again with the little compressor you are about to buy.
4. Do not drive through any salt water especially to get around rocks on an incoming tide.
5. Watch out for freshwater streams running out across the beach, they can have very high drop offs.
6. Keep your beach travel to low tide and your inland travel to high tide.
7. Buy a good snatch strap and some rated bow shackles but if you do all of the above you will only use them to pull out someone else.
8. Have fun in one of the most beatiful places in the world.

Good camping spots for your first trip would be about 6 km's north of Eurong near where Cornwells Break Road comes out onto the beach. It is a good Central spot which gives easy access to the inland features of the Island without having to drive too far along the beach if you come back out near high tide. Close enough to Lake Mckenzie to duck in to the lake for a freshwater swim at night. Easy access to Central Station for the rainforest, and also worth walking in to is Lake Wabby just before sunset for a swim. (make sure you walk out again before dark as the track can be difficult to follow) If you must camp in the rainforest then your only real options are Central Station with heaps of other people and annoying Goanna's. Lake Allom is also a nice place, very quiet but a bit isolated from all of the main attractions for your first trip.

Later on when all you want is peace and quiet, our favourite campsite off season is at the Ocean Lake turn-off north of Waddy Point.

Just get over there and have fun, you won't regret it.

Cheers,
Brett
AnswerID: 146884

Follow Up By: Member - Johno (Gold Coast) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:00

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:00
Good post Brett.

You've told it exactly as it is with no BS!
FollowupID: 400361

Follow Up By: age - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:48

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:48
Agree with Brett above, good post with none of the hype listed above - go and enjoy it and learn from it - it really is easy with many great places to camp and view. Re rust etc - what a crock - Have a 15 year old 80 series that has been to Fraser at least 60 times and has the tiniest bit of rust in the tail gate. Often backed into the waters edge to launch boat. My dad has a HJ47 that stays on the island for 20 years now and whilst ugly is hardly a rust bucket - never gets washed down ever.
King tides - crock as well - travel at low tide and during big king high tides you usually also have extra low low tides as well. Most of the time you could land a 747 on that beach. Just take it easy and drive to your capabilities. You don't need compressors and shovels etc, just weighs the vehicle down - never used one in 30 years of beach driving on the island. Best piece of recovery equipment you can use up there is a trolly jack mounted on a piece of ply - if you get stuck, jack the vehicle and fill in under the wheels and chassis. Let your tyres down at the barge and pump the back up at Rainbow on your way home. Also plenty of places with service station type tyre pumps up there if needed.

Cheers

FollowupID: 400369

Follow Up By: Wormboy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:21

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:21
Big Woody

Ah! Ocean Lake camping - the serenity - camping there twice a year for last 15. But Sept 05 was totally amazed when I arrived as a big flooring company had sponsored all its Taswegian employees and there were tents and hire tojos everywhere. They were even fly-fishing in the surf out front. Spoke to a guy hosting them who said they couldn't use waddy because of generators. -- and only bit of a challenge now sometimes is ngala rocks bypass when dry to and from cape and trying to catch f** beach worms
FollowupID: 400430

Reply By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:32

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:32
Thanks so much guys! I had to shut down the comp, just had the monster storm rip through and last for about an hour... Is moving up to Brisbane so you may not see any of it Johnno, (We are in the Browns Plains area)
I know the only way we will get the experience under our belts is to just do it, is kinda scary going out of our comfort zone though! (well scary for me anyway!!)
Am a little concerned on the King tide thing, for novices that would be the last thing we'd need!
AnswerID: 146899

Follow Up By: guzzi - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 08:09

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 08:09
Joanne,
My comment regarding the king tides seems to have taken on a life of its own.
They arent anything to be overly concerned about, just be aware they will be happening this week. You should be aware of what the tides are doing anyway. You wouldnt generally be on the beach at high tide anyway but if you get caught out as sometimes happens youll know whats going on.
Tides do rule a lot of your actions on any beach trip especially if youve driven to the top end of the island on the hard sand at low tide (which as mentioned above is almost like driveing on the road) get a bit involved with swimming, sightseeing etc and suddenly realise you have a 2 hr drive with an incomming tide thats already halfway in. Driveing on the soft sand at the top of the beach is doable but if the sand is really soft is hard slog, the main "problems" being some creek crossings such as Eli creek (a must see by the way) at high tide and going around rocks. Cathedral rocks has a track through the village if the water is too high to get around them.
There is nothing overly dangerous or difficult about driving fraser island just be aware of whats going on around you and take it easy.
Tyre pressures,
everyone has an opinion on this,so Ill give you mine.
Lower pressures will effect your vechicles handleing at higher speeds sharp turns,hard brakeing etc but will allow you to drive through the softer sand USUALLY without getting bogged, higher pressures do dig up the tracks and beach an bit more but are probably better if your planning a high speed 80kmh +run on the hard sand at low tide.
My choice? I usually air down to 20 psi at dont got any faster than 60kmh and enjoy the view. If I need to I can drop them to 12 to 15 psi.
Sometime during your trip do a bit of experimentation with your tyre pressures, try highway pressures with soft sand listern to the vechicle as it slogs through, try the same stretch of sand with lower pressures and see the difference. As there has been rain lately you wont get the really soft sand.
When do yo know your bogged? when all forward motion has stopped, (if your still makeing forward progress even a meter a minute, your not yet bogged), once youve stopped take your foot off the accelerator dont dig yourself down to the chassis rails, get out and assess the situation is it better to continue forward or go back through your tracks in reverse?, drop tyre pressures, clear sand from the front and rear of your tyres. Dont rev the freckle off the thing and then drop the clutch this just digs holes, use as few rev as required to drive out.
Cleaning your vechicle after the fun on the beach is a good move, a really good flushing with fresh water in all the nooks and crannys underneath to remove sand build up will help prevent rust. A spray of something like lanotech, lanox etc can also help. I spray the underside of my 4wd with lanox, also give it a good wash and polish before I go and repeat when I get home. No rust yet.
As mention elsewhere dont drive though the salt water if you can aviod it, but you sometimes get caught out.
This thread has generated a lot of good advice, have a read and then just go and do the trip and enjoy yourselves.
FollowupID: 400410

Reply By: ferris - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:40

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:40
Hi Jo & Mark,

It sounds like you've got plenty of common sense, the most important ingredient for safe and fun 4wding, and welcome to the fraternity. Once you're hooked you'll never look back and before long Mark will be discussing the necessity of a 2" lift kit and diff locks. I play in the sand regularly and the biggest trap is not letting your tyres down early enough. Most people are very reluctant to let their tyres down low enough. Start with 15 psi, and if the going gets too tough drop to 10 or even 5. Some people say you will roll a tyre off the rim at that pressure, but in years of playing in the sand I've never seen it happen. Make sure you get a good compressor, not a $20 job. It is so frustrating pumping your tyres up with a crap compressor. If you're feeling brave, drive in the sand with your tyres at 40 psi and see how far you get. Drop the tyres to 10 pounds, and rock the car back and forth a few times, and you'll be amased at how it just climbs out of the sand. Don't be afraid to use low range, but be careful not to dig yourself in to deep. Once you're away from the beach onto the inland tracks, be wary of sticks as it is very easy to stake a soft tyre. By the way, we found the hardest part of driving around Fraser was getting on and off the ferry. Have fun and keep the shiny side up.
Ferris.
AnswerID: 146901

Follow Up By: Member - Tim - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:12

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:12
Hi Jo and Mark,

Sorry Ferris but I have to disagree with dropping the tyres down that low to start with. It depends on the size of the tyre. If it is a fairly recent Pajero it will have 16" tyres that are fairly wide. Running those down at 15psi while travelling at 80kmh on the hard beach is a recipe for disaster. They will overheat and get damaged. The tyres on mine are 265/75x16 and I have never run them below 20-21, even when towing the camper trailer. And no, I don't chop up the tracks. Most of the time I seem to be able to travel very easily places where some of the more "favoured" brands of 4wd get stuck.

One thing no one else seems to have mentioned - if you stop on the beach or anywhere there is soft sand then point the nose downhill when you stop. That way it is much easier to take off again.

We have camped up at Cathedral beach and it is a nice spot with showers and toilets as well as the shop if you want those extra luxuries. It is now part of the Frasers empire if you have looked at that link above.

Hope that helps.

Tim.

FollowupID: 400375

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 00:26

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 00:26
Actually Tim I agree with Ferris.

I have never seen tyres get hot on the beach sand of Fraser Island. I have seen it out west but most of the time your vehicle is doing any sort of speed on Fraser Island you will be running on the hard damp sand at the top of the tide area and this tends to keep the tyres cooler.

As far as pressures go when I am fully loaded before setting up camp I normally drop to 18psi. After I have set up camp and taken most of the weight out of the Landcruiser I will drop to a maximum of 16 psi.

Going back to the days before they put all of the woosey boardwalks in everywhere it used to take 3 or 4 hours to get from Indian Head past middle rocks to Waddy Point on the old track. The other big challenge was to get past Ngkala Rocks to the top of the island. If it was middle of summer and hadn't rained for a month or so, the sand would get like talcum powder and if you didn't have your tyres somewhere between 5 - 10 psi, you had no chance of getting through. In all my time I have never seen a tyre roll off a rim over there either.

It is a shame they made it so easy to get everywhere on the Island now as I think that is contributing to it being overused and we may end up with limiting numbers. I think some of the best fun I've ever had is joining in when 1 4wd is bogged and then another 20 4wd's each side of that one all get stuck facing each other on a single lane sand track, it can take 3 or 4 hours to sort out the situation. I met a lot of great people and made a lot of friends through those events. Another great past-time was sitting up on the bank at middle rocks, drink in hand, watching the newbies try to get through and then laugh at the ones who didn't because their tyre pressures were too high.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 400391

Follow Up By: Member - Tim - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:13

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 01:13
Hi Brett,

Those pressures might be needed with the cruiser but I don't think they are with the Pajero. There is quite a weight and size difference between the two. Though I see from a later reply that it is a 93 GLS which came standard with 15" not 16" like mine did. I have read that the tyre manufacturers will not warrant a tyre if the pressures have been dropped too low and they believe that is what has caused damage. I have read a lot of stories that the tyres will heat up if run too low on the hard sand though not having dome it myself I can't speak from direct experience.

I have only done about 10 trips to Fraser so I was not there before the boards were put in but I know that with the pressures I am talking about I have travelled most of the inland tracks and have hit some pretty soft sand in those parts and have also towed the camper trailer on and off the beach both on Fraser and Double Island point, including the track across the back of the lighthouse at double island without once getting bogged.

Jo and Mark may have to drop to those pressures if it required but I just don't think it is a good starting point with that vehicle.

I have to admit it is a lot of fun watching people get stuck behind middle head. The funniest I have seen was one of the backpacker troopies with half of them trying to push it forwards and the other half pushing backwards. They eventually realised and got on the same side.

I think things are changing a bit as well when a lot of people get stuck, last time that happened to us (a Prado stuck of course, it is always a Toyota :)) there was one of those tour buses caught up in it as well and he got really upset. Sort of stuffed it up for everyone else.

Anyway, have a great day and you never know we may meet on the island. Jo and Mark, have a great trip to Fraser as it is a fantastic place. At this time of year there will always be someone to pull you out if you get stuck, as long as you have your own snatch strap.

Tim.
FollowupID: 400403

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 07:26

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 07:26
Yes Tim I hear what you are saying mate and I agree.

I agree about the Pajero and they have plenty of power too which helps. Actually, I reckon sand driving is the only place where the power of the 4wd really makes any type of difference at all.
For mud or rocky country power hardly helps.
Although some of my 4wd's have had excess power the ones where I have really had to let tyre pressures down low to get through the soft stuff have been the gutless ones like a diesel Troopy etc.

Out of all of the 4wd's I have owned the best on Fraser Island was the v8 Ford Bronco automatic but it had it's down side. Fuel consumption was unbelievable. You may not believe this but the best I ever got on the highway was 10 mpg which when I convert it is around 28 litres/100km.
When I had it on Fraser Island it was 3 mpg which was pretty bad but sounds worse when you convert it across - a whopping 94 litres per 100km.
That was in about 1986 when fuel on the island was $1 per litre.
I remebr it had a 121 litre tank and I filled it 3 times in a week on the island.
Oh to be that young and stupid again.

Have a great day,

Brett
FollowupID: 400409

Reply By: Member - AdrianLR (VIC) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:43

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:43
Hi Joanne,

Do a search on the forum for "Fraser" but make sure that you select "Both" for the Post View and tick "body" & "topic" - you'll get 12 pages of posts with mention of Fraser. Lots of good info in addition to what has been said above.

We've been by ourselves & with friends. I found it much more pleasant to be with others particularly when going to more remote places or doing the more difficult tracks. We've been outside holiday periods so there were places where we didn't see anyone else for the whole day. You won't have this "problem" at this time of the year unfortunately.

The second and third and... trips are always better - there's so much to see and thats what you'll get from a tour. They hit the high spots. The beauty for us are the less iconic bits (eg being the only ones on a 5km long sandblow or some of the west coast beaches etc)

Yes, the car will suffer a bit from the salt and you'll never get all the sand out but that's what you bought it for isn't it? Go for a drive during a couple of torrential downpours to wash a lot of salt off then follow up with $20 through a car wash far away from the beach (they recycle their water so I guess that the salt level is fairly high at the coastal areas)

You don't mention whether you have kids - be wary of the dingoes but be very very wary of letting the kids onto beaches by themselves - stopping or swerving at 80kmh (if the driver even sees them) can be nasty for both.

Have a great time.

Adrian
AnswerID: 146902

Reply By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:59

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 22:59
Hi Adrian and Ferris...

Yes Even before we bought it Mark was talking about a lift kit! and a diff lock sounds familiar so I think it has it. Te guy that had it before us really looked after her!
We bought a 1993 GLS 3 litre Pajero. she's looking rather smick for her age!
She doesn't look like she has ever seen sand, She was from Rockhampton and going by the log books, and service receipts she did all her time in the sticks.
Mark pulled the door trims off when they were fitting the CD player and speakers and he said that the doors still had thick coating of wax on the inside and not any hint of rust anywhere.....I think my husband would enjoy talking to you guys, learning about it all. I will print all these posts out so far for him to read. We would be coming onto the island from Inskip point, I bought a Hema map yesterday so we have direction. brett I will sit doen and look at what you wrote for places to camp on the map, it is unfortunate that everyone we know who would love to come are all back at work now, No we don't have any children yet so at this point that won't be an issue for us over there. (Mark is 33, I am 31)
AnswerID: 146905

Follow Up By: porl - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:16

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 11:16
ah the 3L pajero, a gem to be sure. Good friend has one, the motor revs more freely than any other i drive, its light, good on fuel, great traction system, and there's has done 280,000km without a problem. you've done well. I'd prefer one to the 3.5L model. oh, and great on sand (as far as i have seen), just keep the revs high up in the torque band before you hit the soft sand.
FollowupID: 400429

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:22

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:22
Hi Joanne,

Plenty of good advise above but no-one has said be careful of what you leave around your camp, FOOD SCRAPS and VALUABLES they attact both types of scabs on the island (2 and 4 legged). Obviously I'm talking about thieves and dingoes.
My thought on Fraser is it's too expensive but that's cause I've already been there, for newcommers I would say go and enjoy it for the whole week, no less.
Maybe someone with a week up their sleeves will offer to go and have some fun with you guys, sadly I'm off to Cairns on Sunday for another couple of weeks sweating my A$$ off working in locked up hovells in NQ summer :-(((

Have a great trip, regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 146909

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:29

Friday, Jan 06, 2006 at 23:29
Hi Trevor!
yeh I had already thought that I will buy lidded large containers to put all the food in, eskies can stay in the car, and a lidded bucket for rubbish. Was also considering taking the little dome tent we have and putting the sealed containers in that so it is less weight when driving,
There are always some people that have to ruin other campers time, it is like a rule of camping that you are safe to leave your gear, but there always has to be one person to spoil it!
FollowupID: 400380

Reply By: Redeye - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 05:42

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 05:42
Hi Jo & mark

Just got back from 9 days on the island. Lovely. Little fishing with lots of weed on the surf side.

Let the tyres down to 22 Lbs and drive carefully you will have no problems. We towed a trailer with these pressures.

Anything you get on the island will cost. $7 for a $2 bucket etc.

Have a good time

Redeye
AnswerID: 146934

Reply By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:48

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 09:48
Thanks so much all of you! Mark wants to take all this info with us! I will continue printing out any extra posts and then highlight what I think we must remember!!!!!!!

We pick up the jero from the mechanic today so then I wil be able to tell you exactly wat size tyres are on there, the previous owner only put the tyres on in June, so that is a bit of a bonus for us. A friend of Marks had told him that with there being so much holiday traffic there that the sand should be fairly compacted anyway which again I will take as another bonus. Not that we will spend all the time on the sand anyway, would like to play safe for our first time around. I will make sure I keep the tide book in the glove box and not in the tent!
Am wondering what to mybe expect with the weather though, cause we have been getting all these storms lately don't quite know what we may be facing up there. Would we become soggy drowned rats with a washed out camp!!!!!!
Here is something that might give you guys a bit of a laugh, after being in our 4wd my mother in law traded her car in and got an auto suzuki vitara. (of course she will only use it for city driving) but the sales man tells her that it is the best car on the market and best in performance for 4WDing out of all the other 4WD's......he could spot her as gullible from miles away! but then like I said she will only use it for normal driving.. but they will say anything to sell a car!
AnswerID: 146954

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:25

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:25
Joanne,

First off I must admit to only reading parts of the replies above...... so I might have missed something. The first thing is that our original trip to Fraser was in a rented 4X4, we got "on-the-spot" instruction on how to use it and we had a ball. But
let me make a few points though from what I have learnt over the years.

1) The FIRST thing to do is read the Rangers pack re the "wild-life" .... and follow the instructions to the letter. We ALWAYS do and have never had a drama, also LISTEN to the rangers, they aren't yobbo's committed to making your holiday a nightmare, they are there to do a job and they do it well.

2) If you must use a snatch strap, make sure you have a dampener on it!!! A towel will do or a shirt or a blanket or anything that will weigh it down and make it drop if the strap breaks. This is serious..... people have died from being hit in the head by flying shackles! And ALWAYS use rated shackles (minimum 3.5t don't let anyone tell you you can get away with smaller..... for the few bucks they cost, they are cheap compared to life!!!) and make sure the shackles are attached to rated recovery points on your car..... NOT tie downs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3) We run our tyres at 18psi off road, including Fraser Island, ours are 12.5" wide muddies.... others in our club with smaller tyres run the same pressure and seem to be ok as well. I have heard of people running lower but have never seen it.... I wouldn't go below 16 to be honest.

4) Only drive 2 hours (3 if you must) either side of low tide. We usually set up a home made chart with each days "start & stop" time on it and stick to it. I find that high range 4X4 makes life easy whilst driving the hard sand (below the high tide mark) and low range 4X4 in soft sand (above the high tide mark) If you feel the car starting to dig in..... stop.... reverse and try again with a little more momentum, if the car starts to bog down it's pointless putting the boot in, you'll usually just get more bogged. If you do get bogged.... hook up your rated snatch strap to your rated shackle and rated recovery points etc, put the dampener on, and flag down a passing 4by.... most people I know will be happy to tow you out if you are self prepared, although they SHOULD get out and check that your gear and set up is correct. Most people I know will drive by if you're not set up. And dig the sand away from in front of the tyres.... ;-) (Add a shovel to your recovery kit!)

5) The inland camps as said above will be hot this time of year, eastern beach is the place to be... lots of beach camps there, also places like Happy Valley and Cathedral Beach and dundaburra, but very busy so you might be very lucky to score a site there. Western side is sandfly city!!!

Lots to see and do.... it's a beautiful island!!!!!!!

6) Lastly, I live on the Gold Coast, if you want to message me a phone number, am happy to ring you & chat over the phone about this, also when you return from your holiday, maybe consider joining a club? You will learn so much about 4wd'ing and appreciate it more...... we did and have never looked back!!!!!!!! Lots of clubs around SE Qld, click this link to the Qld 4wd association, there is a club list on the menu.

Have a great trip!!!!!!!! and don't forget to let us know how it went!!!!!!!!

AnswerID: 146958

Reply By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:42

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 10:42
Hey Brian! Mark enjoyed your 4by photos! I can't send an im with my number because I am only logged on as a visitor, send me an email and I will forward it to whoever. We are in the Browns plains area of the Logan district. We have to head out now and buy some gear but will be home tonight.

Mark seems to recall that our tyres are 265/75's...
AnswerID: 146959

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:45

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 13:45
Hello Joanne,

With all the great info in this post, you're sure to have a good time on Fraser!

One thing that no one seems to have mentioned, is the effect of ambient temperatures, on sand. When sand is cool, such as early morning, it is much more trafficable, than when it gets hot, during the afternoon.

Not having been to Fraser, I don't know if this has any bearing down there, along beaches, and in sandy country. However, out here on the Diamantina river, any sandhills here are negiotated more easily during the cooler hours of the day.

"jars of clay", eh? You must be a potter?

Regards,
Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 146978

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:19

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:19
Hi Bob! Nah I am no potter, wouldn't have a clue what to do...
I am the clay.!
FollowupID: 400473

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:07

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 19:07
Jars of Clay are a great singing group.

We have most of their CD's.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 400476

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:04

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:04
in 1998 when they did a concert out here at Groundswell Mark and his band played the same day also, hence we had some good seating for the Jars gig!
FollowupID: 400484

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:11

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:11
Wow Jo,

Now you are bringing back some memories.
Me...........Groundswell concerts.............young............foolish.

We were probably at the same concert I would say.

Brett
FollowupID: 400486

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:24

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:24
ps.

What is the name of Mark's band????

Brett
FollowupID: 400488

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:31

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 20:31
they are not together anymore, disbanded in 1990, But at the time it ws Templegate. feel free to email me if you like!
FollowupID: 400489

Reply By: kiss'n'dirt - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:57

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 14:57
Going to fraser is not as hard as what people make it out to be.

Most important is to use a bit of commonsense. See where others have gone.

If dumb arse backpackers can drive it with a 20 min video lesson, i'm sure you'll do fine.

Remember. Have your own snatch strap. You always provide your own recovery gear when you need recovering. You'll also find you'll get assistance from people if you ask. (even easier as you're not in a backpacker troopie).Central station camp grounds are nice with all the facilities.

Remember you can't buy camping permits there anymore.
The 5 major sites must now be pre ordered. You can do it on line or phone. You'll get a ref: no. from the internet and you fill out the pre paid kits from the rangers place at rainbow.

I came back from there not oo long ago.
The soft parts are the indian head bypass which is always soft and the 1/2 km north of the hook point landing. The inland track from hook is an alternative. You have roughly 2 hrs either side of low to get through hook point.

Most important. Support the manta ray barge (green and gold).

Go and enjoy
AnswerID: 146995

Reply By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:28

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 18:28
Yeh I read on the net about the MantaRay barge. Is he still carging $20.00?

We actually have no idea yet where we will camp since we have never been there... so I cannot pre book anything! we'll have to play it by ear. Maybe we can go elsewhere and go and use their showers!
We went out today, spent alot of money, bought new gear, I am yet to go down to the shed to find old gear, adn what we didn't have and couldn't buy we got off a friend of ours.. only one downer side on that.. they are fourby people, been to fraser themselves, he said we can use his compressor-I picked him for have a you beaut $250.00 job.... Turns out it is a 12volt one that he picked up from Cash Converters a few years ago that they use!!!!!! said he has never had any dramas.. will have to go with that because there isn't $250 left over!

I just want to thankyou all again so much for all your input, you have all certainly helped me put my mind at ease and stirred up Marks sense of adventure! As of monday we will be a part of the fraternity!!!
AnswerID: 147030

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:39

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:39
Try $70
FollowupID: 400492

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:45

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 21:45
mantaray
FollowupID: 400495

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:01

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:01
ok so he is charging $70 now? so do you knw what the other guy is charging now? I read $65, maybe it was him that dropped is price to $20.
FollowupID: 400497

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:17

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:17
Went to fraser 3 weeks ago on the other barge, $70 also.
FollowupID: 400499

Reply By: jo and mark - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:23

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 22:23
thanks for the heads up, they should look at updating the websites.
AnswerID: 147070

Reply By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:19

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:19
My trip to fraser
Left brisbane at 8.00am . Low tide at waddy point tides/a> was at aprox 4pm . Drove to tewantin via the sunshine motorway . At tewantin i stopped at the rangers office( QPWS Great Sandy Info Centre - (7am-4pm daily)
240 Moorindil Street, Tewantin (07)5449 7792 ) to obtain my (Monthly permit for Fraser $33.45) . A vehicle service permit must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on Fraser Island. From there you cross the noosa river via the ferry ($5 roughly) . From here i drove along the beach beach to mudlo rocks (checkout the report) report . From here i topped up my fuel , ice etc and drove to inskip point and let down tyre pressures to no less than 23 psi . Drove onto the barge .Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time about 10 minutes, no bookings required) . From brisbane to fraser and back via tewantin i average between 800klms and 1000klms . I take it easy and stop for a couple of breaks along the way . It usually takes me between 7 and 8 hours each way . Good luck
AnswerID: 147075

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:21

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:21
What the hell happened to my link . damn
FollowupID: 400505

Follow Up By: jo and mark - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:51

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 08:51
Your link came through fine in my email!
We are still having some rain here (Browns Plains) has pretty much rained all night and looks like it is set in for today. How ws the weather when you were at Fraser?
FollowupID: 400518

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:32
Sunny when i went but not terribly hot . Overcast conditions would be nice and some rain would pack the sand down .
FollowupID: 400521

Reply By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:26

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:26
My trip to fraser
Left brisbane at 8.00am . Low tide at waddy point was at aprox 4pm . Drove to tewantin via the sunshine motorway . At tewantin i stopped at the rangers officeQPWS Great Sandy Info Centre - (7am-4pm daily)
240 Moorindil Street, Tewantin (07)5449 7792 ) to obtain my (Monthly permit for Fraser $33.45) . A vehicle service permit must be purchased and displayed on your vehicle windscreen before driving on Fraser Island. From there you cross the noosa river via the ferry ($5 roughly) . From here i drove along the beach
beach to mudlo rocks (checkout the report) report . From here i topped up my fuel , ice etc and drove to inskip point and let down tyre pressures to no less than 23 psi . Drove onto the barge .Inskip Point, 15 minutes drive from Rainbow Beach (east of Gympie) to Hook Point; these barges generally run from 6am to 5.30pm (trip time about 10 minutes, no bookings required) . From brisbane to fraser and back via tewantin i average between 800klms and 1000klms . I take it easy and stop for a couple of breaks along the way . It usually takes me between 7 and 8 hours each way . Good luck
AnswerID: 147077

Follow Up By: linkcrazy - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:27

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:27
I give up
FollowupID: 400507

Reply By: jo and mark - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:56

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:56
Hi everyone!

so it is now 10.50pm, 3 hours before we head off.. *must try and fit sleep in somewhere*
As you can all imagine today has not been a lazy sunday, washing machine doing it's last load, I remember eating toast at 7.30am and 2 biscuits somewhere between 2 and 4 pm, The jero is all packed up bar the eskies and the clothes bag. Mark wants to head on the road about 2am, be between 6 and 7am when we should land somewhere around there, have to go to parks and wildlife, refill the tank and get some breakfast somewhere.
I just want to thankyou all so much again for all your input, mark has gleaned off everyones wisdom as well as myself and I am taking a print out of everyones advice, suggestions of what to do and where to go,
So when we drive off the barge think of a new couple joining your 'fraternity'. I will keep a log of anything dramatic for you all to laugh at!
Don't think I have forgotten anything, didn't buy enough ham for sandwiches..(packed the jam and vegemite!!)
We borrowed a friends digital camera (yes still yet to buy one) so I can sow you all pictures of Mark getting himself out of some sort of predicament!
thanks again, If I don't shut this comp down now I will still be here an hour later.
Have a great week everybody, will write you all on sunday.
Cheers!
AnswerID: 147306

Sponsored Links