Recycling alkaline batteries

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:08
ThreadID: 29435 Views:1752 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Is there any way to recycle old alkaline batteries like AA and C cells? Have switched to rechargeable batteries for most devices, but have an old box with 20-30 dead alkalines batteries in it. I know in Europe they can be taken to recycling facilities, but haven't found anywhere that takes them in Australia for recycling - anyone know what to do with them besides through them into the garbage to go into landfill?

Must add - anyone that is still buying alkalines - you're throwing money away - NiMH rechargeables are expensive up-front, but pay for themselves many times over if you go through a lot of batteries.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GazzaS (VIC) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:36

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 15:36
Hi Scubaroo

We purchased a "Rezapper" charging unit which does all the cylindar type batteries from AAA up. Also does the small square type and the big torch batteries! Best thing - it even recharges normal alkaline batteries (well most anyway).

we are gradually changing to all rechargeable batteries too. and using the rezapper to recharge them. I was also able to find a 12V recharge unit (only for rechargeables) for when we are away.
AnswerID: 147004

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:35

Saturday, Jan 07, 2006 at 23:35
Scubaroo,
Most of my gear, GPS, UHF, Camera, torches etc rely on AAs, and I've always used the NiMH, but you get tempted by the boxes of 40 Alkalines for $20 that you get at many shops. Pity really, as I want to use rechargables. Only downside with the rechargables, is that then they go flat, they go flat very fast. I'm using alkalines for the LED torches now.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 147079

Follow Up By: Flash - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:45

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:45
You can successfully recharge alkalines IF YOU DO IT VERY SLOWLY.
I've got a charger which "trickle charges" my alkalines- we're talking days not hours.
I just monitor the voltage occasionally with a multimeter and when it's up to about 1.6 volts....bingo.
They then last nearly as well as new.
Cheers
FollowupID: 400791

Reply By: Splitty - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:59

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:59
Hi, your local council should be able to advise you if their Resource Centre takes batteries, I also believe that some Battery World outlets take them. It is better to avoid putting them into landfill were possible. Perhaps next time your passing through the Southern Higlands you could stop of at the Resource Recovery Centre to dispose of them.
AnswerID: 147500

Sponsored Links