oztent

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 09:54
ThreadID: 29457 Views:3377 Replies:7 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
What is the general consenus about the Oztent, thinking of upgrading from a dome tent to a oztent RV3 and what attachments would i need to keep away those pesky flies?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:29

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:29
jojo

do a search through the archives, there's a lot in there for the oztent.
AnswerID: 147114

Reply By: Member - Jack - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 10:32
Hi jojo:

I have the RV4 (2.4m x 2.4m) Oztent, and love it. This is my second one, having sold the first one to get the newer "peaked panel" version.

I bought an Ozpod which I carry around on my Tradesman roof rack, and the rollers in it make it a bit easier on my back when I load it up. I also bought the two side panels and front panel, which gives you an extra screened room.

The main drawback is the size when they are packed up. Mine is 2.4m long, and would not fit inside my 80 Series, but I believe the will fit inside a Troopy. But they are dead easy to erect, and with all the bells and whistles I can be sipping a cold one within 5 minutes "go to whoa" if I go for the full "all pegged down and all zipped up" setup. Often though I can just set it on the ground and open it up without even pegging it down.

Only one minor drawback, which I have brought to the attention of the boys at Oztent is that with the awning up and side and front panels attached, you get a bit of "pooling" at the front after rain. This is easily remedied by just putting the front of the awning on an angle to allow water to run off to one side. Not major, just a blemish on perfection.

I have not had to avail myself of their after sales service, but had a mate break a part on his when we were away in Central NSW. The Oztent boys moved heaven and earth to get him the new part in very quick time. I was more than impressed.

If you go ahead, I doubt that you will be disappointed. I love mine.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147118

Follow Up By: Member - Des - Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:07

Thursday, Jan 19, 2006 at 16:07
Presumably using the peaked sides instead of straight sides would stop pooling on the annex.
FollowupID: 402909

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:18

Friday, Jan 20, 2006 at 07:18
Hi Des:

You would have thought that, but it pools where the spreader bar runs across underneath the annex. The spreader bar creates a small ridge, and as the water collects, it forces the canvas down, so that it can store more water.

Not a big drama, and tilting it prevents the problem.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 403059

Reply By: Member - Colin (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:13

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 11:13
Hi Jojo,
We have the RV3 for the kids ,we have just got back from camping the mid west where we had 15 - 30 knot winds all the time and only had the 4 base pegs in.we don't have the extra's, there was another oztent rv3 with everything and it was handling the wind with ease comared to all the other tents. I noticed a black wolf tent with the built in annex and was very impressed with the ease of setting up and how it handled the windy conditions. It may be another option if as stated before the folded up length is a problem.
regards
Col
AnswerID: 147130

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:16

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:16
They are expensive but easy to set up and ours fits back into its bag every time!!!
AnswerID: 147161

Reply By: friar - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 16:48

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 16:48
Excellant tent had mine about 7yrs,I am thinking of upgrading to RV4 which is 2.4 x2.4.Jack you say it is 2.4 long when folded,the oztent site gives the length packed up at 2metres, could you confirm this, my ute is limited to 2metres in where I carry the tent.
Friar
AnswerID: 147207

Follow Up By: Member - Colin (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:03

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:03
Friar, just measured my RV3 packed up is 2150 mm, if that is any help.
Col
FollowupID: 400561

Reply By: Member - Jim (Syd) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 18:26

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 18:26
We have had our RV-3 tent for a couple of years now and are more than pleased. Within our travelling group there is a majority of Oztents and also there are a couple of Black Wolf Turbo Tents. Oztent seems to be easier by a short margin to put up and down, but the main difference is whether you want it in the car or are happy with it on top.

We also have the sides and front panel, but don't always use them. The sides are good for drafts and the front has a flap within the panel that neatly drapes over the back of the Cruiser to give shelter when cooking etc, or more importantly, accessing the Engel for some elbow bending exercise! The extra bits zip on very easily.

The other difference we noted when we upgraded for the dome tent was that they are much warmer on those cold desert nights and of course the time factor to allow more elbow bending time.
Jim
VKS 737
Call Sign Mobile 2737

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 147220

Reply By: tango/indiana/mango - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:10

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 21:10
best thing since sliced bread
tim
AnswerID: 147886

Sponsored Links