Reading/Storing Maps

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 01:02
ThreadID: 2946 Views:1611 Replies:1 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can any one tell me what's the best way to read/store a topragrapicl map that is in a roll form or is folded better? Had heeps of trouble as were to store it on the weekend!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:55
Rox have you thought of going over to digital maps on an iPaq.
I would never go back to paper maps.
AnswerID: 11256

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:39

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 09:39
Interesting comment.

What happens if you have a Hard Disk or power failure on your PC?

I think digital maps, GPS etc are all good "add-ons" and should be treated as such accordingly. It would be sheer folly to rely on them alone.

Personally I will stick with pencil, protractor, compass and the good old paper maps - backed up of course with all the modern gear. :)

To answer the original question, rolled maps can be easily stored in those cardboard tubes found as the inner portion of Christmas paper rolls.

Just lay the map out on the bonet of your vehicle when you want to use it.

If you need to refer to it regularly within the vehicle, neatly fold it in portions about the size of a "clip board" and protect them inside a clear plastic envelope.

enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 6200

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:29

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:29
Old soldier I still carry a general book road map and a compass, and yes, I do enjoy browing through the book looking at places. However, with the large number of paper maps I would need to carry, it would take up nearly all the space in my vehicle. The information on digital maps is now superior to paper maps and they are updated more regularly. The main thing with digital maps is the ease to find the one you need without unrolling heaps of maps. Not an easy thing to do in the cab of a vehicle because it is raining or windy.
I don't use hard drives at all, everything is on compact flash (CF) memory cards.
FollowupID: 6204

Follow Up By: Old Soldier - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:58
G'day Ozi,

I agree with all you say, the point I was making was not to put total trust in things electronic and mechanical.

The reference to HD was a general comment, as was the GPS. If it's electronic it can develop a fault, or you can lose your power source.

Dont get me wrong, I use a GPS and have digital maps myself. I just believe that everybody venturing into the bush should carry the basics - just in case :)

enjoy the bush

DennisN
FollowupID: 6206

Follow Up By: Rox - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 19:41
OziExplorer Tell me more about an iPaq, is it some sort of gps? I have no idear. Were do you get all the maps (digital) from? Thanks
FollowupID: 6230

Follow Up By: Oziexplorer - Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 20:02

Tuesday, Jan 14, 2003 at 20:02
Rox the iPaq is a Compaq/HP manufactured handheld/pocket computer that runs a version of Windows called WindowsCE. WindowsCE has all the normal applications Windows has, but in a cut down version.
Have a look at www.microsoft.com/pocketpc
The main advantage you put the PocketPC in your pocket and runs for approximately up to 5 hours depending on use. You can use it in conjunction with a mobile phone to surf the Internet, send and receive e-mail and faxes. Within reason, anything you can do on a desktop PC you can do on a PocketPC in a cut down way.

In my case, I use the PocketPC with WindowsCE for navigation, geographical and geological work. These WindowsCE computers are used extensively by professionals in the field. Some Australian software packages are leaders in this field and are used and sold world wide. One example is OziExplorer www.oziexplorer.com This software is written in Brisbane, Queensland, and is now a foundation software package in environmental, geological, forestry and agriculture world wide.
FollowupID: 6231

Sponsored Links