CSR trip planning

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:24
ThreadID: 29468 Views:2087 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Have checked the trek notes, read everything I can but would appreciate feedback from those who know.
We are planning mid to late July this year, 2 or 3 vehicles, 05 diesel hilux and ULP Paj (not sure on other) all towing off road camper trailers. Billuna to Kunawaritji then the Talawana track.
Currently looking at about 6 days to get from Billuna to Georgia Bore, 905 kms.
Some specific queries.
Is ULP/Opal fuel readily available at Kunawaritji ?
Are there any opening time restrictions at the community ?
Given correct tyre pressures etc are we likely to encounter any issues with crossing dunes while towing trailers ?
Looking at feedback, I understand that weather might still play a part in July but we will just sit it out if too wet to begin.
Any other comments would be appreciated.
Rusty
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ozdyssey (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:32
Rusty

Towing the campers may be tricky especially with no single vehicle without a camper to be the tow car. Constantly unhitching to snatch will spoil someone's holiday. Also know fuel consumptions with the trailers to calculate avlb distances.

16psi over some dunes with the campers will stop a lot of this.

There is a very good video in the shop on a CSR trip. Gives you a fly on the wall look at what to expect.
AnswerID: 147167

Follow Up By: bob - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:03

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:03
I just purchased the dvd of 'the canning stock route - desert adventure' from the exploreoz shop. In preparation for my trip. I recommend it to all planning the csr. Two of the vehicles in the dvd were towing campers and it shows what you can expect well to well.
FollowupID: 400616

Follow Up By: RustyHelen - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:47

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:47
Thanks. Yep just ordered the DVD from shop and will study intently. Other option is around the bitumen from Halls Creek to Karijini so will just have to assess as we go along. I am not a hero in any sense of the word so will not put us or others at risk.
Rusty
FollowupID: 400685

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:49

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 14:49
Yes ULP at Kunawarritji but you must advise them in advance as to probable requirements.

Yes their opening times are restricted. Contact them nearer to your time of departure

Doing the Canning from North to South is more difficult than from South to North as the dunes have to be crossed on a left hand turn. The track runs parallel to the dunes and then turns left over the dune which gives you very little time for accelleration and a run-up over the dune. You will be pushing the friendship if your vehicles are heavily laden and as others have said, with no single vehicle with you, to snatch over the dunes, it aint going to be fun.

Some travellers have successfully towed trailers along the CSR but many have had problems. I would suggest you run your tyres at 14psi and those in the trailer at 8psi which will give you a better chance of getting over the dunes. In the middle of the day the sand is a lot softer so care must be taken then.

Go to my website below and read an account of a north/south trek along the CSR
AnswerID: 147175

Follow Up By: Alex H - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:12

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 17:12
Having travelled the CSR in both directions, I found north to south to be much easier. It appeared that most traffic was going the other way, so the south sides of the dunes were extremely chopped up (wrong tyre pressures probably), whereas the north side was fine. I never had a trailer on either trip, but its far easier charging a soft sandhill when its not chopped up. I occasionally found I had to change down to 1st low going down the south side of some dunes to stop shaking hte vehicle to bits.
All that said, make your own decision and enjoy the trip - its awesome!
Cheers,
Alex
FollowupID: 400563

Reply By: Tassie Devil - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:05

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 08:05
Hi Rusty
We did the CSR, South to North in June 2004. Whilst we did not have trailers (slide on campers was our go), we did notice that for trailer users, there were straight approaches to reverse into in order to get a run up over most dunes. This would avoid the problem of the sharp right hand turns if travelling from the south and left hand turns if travelling from the north, in which to maintain momentum to get over the dunes. I put together our own 1/2 hour DVD of the CSR and would be happy to send you a copy if requested. I also kept a diary and would also be happy to send you a copy of this. It will give you and idea of a time line. It took us 11 days (10 nights), and that was by hitting the track at around 7.30 each morning, stopping at nearly all Wells, stopping for morning tea and lunch and stopping to camp, explore and relax by approximately 3pm each day.
Cheers
Patsy
AnswerID: 148228

Sponsored Links