site speed

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 18:54
ThreadID: 29480 Views:1473 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
goodday folks
is it just me or is the site on a go slow for firing up i feel like i have gone back to dialup or slower

steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: roofscooter2 - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:42

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 19:42
hi steve ,noto your ? mine also too slow. bob.
AnswerID: 147226

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:18

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:18
S................L....................O.....................W

S.....o.............I.............w.....i.....l.....l..............t.....y.....p.....e................r.....e.....a.....l.............s.....l.....o.....w.............t.....o.....o......
AnswerID: 147235

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:31

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:31
In all honesty, the "site visits" stats does not show whether they were successful "visits" or not (ie downloaded pages in a timely manner)

The decrease in forum posts lately has been noticable (pre dec '05 - not affected by Xmas). Used to be that there were 2-3 pages per day, more recently that has dropped substantially (pre Xmas) to 10-20 posts tops. This could also be in response to the difficulty getting on the site in the first place and the slowness of the processing of DB requests.

Could be time for David, Michelle and the rest of the crew to look for a higher bandwidth link/more reliable host.
FollowupID: 400588

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:39

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:39
may be something to do with the problems they have had to overcome last week. David commented at the time..
FollowupID: 400591

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:43

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 20:43
Waaaaay before that, and it's still happening now.
FollowupID: 400593

Reply By: V8Diesel - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:00
Funny thing is, Perth 4x4 and Western 4x4 sites have been playing up recently too.

I think it's a conspiracy by Mr Scruby and the Nazi eco-weenies.

Off to get my fillings checked for listening devices;-))
AnswerID: 147254

Reply By: Brad, W.A. - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:45

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 22:45
I've had no probs, with iinet sitting on about 12mbs+, got to love ADSL2.
AnswerID: 147289

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:06

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:06
its pretty bad, but Im wondering if daves doing a backup, since he was fixing things after the crash the other day...
AnswerID: 147295

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:51

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:51
Sorry guys cant enlighten you at the moment.

As always - just email David if you find there are any performance problems. He will explain if there is a problem. Usually nothing major. Maybe some maintenence happening.

The servers we are using are very fast and can handle much more traffic than we get. I Rarely have problems from this location.The site is opening fine from the east coast 1 - 2 seconds to load home page and forum. (been on for the last hour)

Check out our site stats (under the advertising tab at top of the page) you'll see traffic to the site busiest around mid year. Currently approx 18 million hits per month from approx 350,000 visits/month. So visitors will not be stretching resources at the moment.

Forum only accounts for about 20-30% of site traffic.

hope you all had a great festive season.

Kerry
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147304

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:21

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 00:21
Guys running instant now. I have noticed a few issues and I am in the process of the full migration of the forum system at present (after the dramas of the system failure the other day). I expect to have it converted by next weekend and this should solve most of the problems. Do me a favor when it is not so great in the forum just jump to the shop or trader system and let me know if these are ok or showing the same problem. This is the sort of info I need as the forum DB is different to the rest and about to be updated however if the rest is not fast then updating the forum DB will make little difference. (PS Do not check the home page as it opens the most active forum thread so uses the forum db, also the member home page opens this as well so the trader, shop or artciles via topic search are the best test).

I believe the upgrade will be better (it will cost enough) however we are always pushing the severs due to user loads. As for the site traffic and usage stats, We had the highest ever usage with over 130,000 sessions last week even though one day was almost a full day of down time. So the systems (there is already a couple of machines) are really busy and I am chasing to catch up with the 30% + usage increase. As Kerry has mentioned the forum is 30% of the site traffic however it is the most busy at most times of the day and I have been trying to maintain access to the entire history of posts from the very beginning. I am starting to lose this battle however the conversion I am in the middle of should solve 80% of the load issues let me get it sorted (I will post when done) then let me know how it is going.

I have no problems being told to up the game just let me know! However please tell me if it is the forum or the whole system which will really help me work out the issues.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 147308

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:29

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:29
Would be interesting for you to go through the logs and see what the length of connections is, instead of the number of hits. There have been many times when I have been left hanging (>30 secs, to "Timeout when trying to contact...") and made repeated attempts to get on to the site (3-6 avg). Surely these should not be viewed as individual hits... It could still be an underlying issue with the DB, or possibly the authentication (Active Directory/eDirectory).

Running BP Cable, WinXP, Mozilla Firefox.

Not being critical, just giving feedback. You may actually be losing more effective "hits" than you realise.
FollowupID: 400678

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:43

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:43
Interesting results, I cannot explian the performance you are reporting as I have active monitors that run on the site all the time and capture result turn around times and these only reported a period of two mins yesterday that response times exceeded my expected levels, however these do not monitor the forum system as I do not want to load it more that required.

Do not get me wrong I am sure it is not 100% however I work on the forum all day and I do notice issues however, I do not think I have ever seen a timeout except for when the system is playing up, which has been a far bit for the last few weeks and this is what I am trying to resolve. As mentioned let me get the DB convert done and see what give. I am sure it will resolve most of the problems. I havea plan to keep on top of the issues I just lost a significant amount of time last week with the server drive failures.

Just as a point of note yesterday was the busiest Sunday in terms of post in the forum ever reported on a Sunday. I have not yet checked in terms of sessions, hits and page views for the whole thing but with nearly 40 new threads on a Sunday the system is showing usage of a typical weekday and not a weekend.

In therms of stats if the page does not reneder there are no counts performened on the Page Stats system however there are two stats systems running on ExplorOz - Server logs (which produce the site stats) and two sets of my own that run in the DB one of these produces Page Stats. Page stats will not count if the page is not rendered past the header. Server logs are huge and from periodic analysis I cannot see serious timeouts or latencies across the whole system. As mentioned already there is a forum issue and I am working on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400683

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:47

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:47
Gary,

Just caught it running the forum less than what I would expect and it is related to the forum DB. Mind you the page took 20 secs to load however on another browser I was ale to open up 6 other site pages in the time it took to load the forum page. My DB convert will resolve this (I hope - it is designed to).

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400686

Follow Up By: Browser - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:20

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:20
Hi David,

Something is strange with the site. Speeds are slow but also I notice that in Forum, Bob posted a mention that his F250 was for sale in the Trader section. Now Motherhen has been in and checked it out as there where some questions related to year of manufacture etc. Yet when I go to the Trader section the last advertisement was placed on the 3rd of January for a Landrover? No sign of any F250?
regards,

Browser
FollowupID: 400692

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:35

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:35
I am at a loss to site speed - it is flying with instant response in all sections at the moment. The ad for the F250 is loaded just scroll past all the display ads, it has ben loaded as a free ad.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400697

Sponsored Links