where can i find a previous discussion on choosing ipf, lightforce, narva lights

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:23
ThreadID: 29486 Views:2969 Replies:12 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
hi all , delighted to have found this site and with a small amount of reading can tell theres heaps more knowledge/exp here than i could ever have hoped for. after a recent trip from brissy to karumba and back with old hellas fitted to my roobar i'm looking to get the best set of lights available. i dont care how much they cost, i just want everything in front of me to be lit up like daytime. skimping now will be definitly regretted on the next trip north and will see me flicking my eyes allover the show looking for unpredictable animals, brakeing and swerving and constantly turning around to make sure its not still alive after a hit. i have tried hard to find an archived discussion with no result, can someone point me in the right direction, or can someone with experience with different brands recomend their favourite?.nb. they will be fitted to a tjm bar on a 2004 hilux
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:26

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:26
If you dont care how much they cost go with HID's. they are about $2500-3000 a pr, but they are the best.

HTH.
AnswerID: 147262

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:32

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 21:32
Truckster's right about the Lightforce HIDs......$1,150 each. Maybe get one HID and one XGT (they look the same so they'll look like a matched pair). Trouble is the mongrel element will like to take the weight of them off your bull bar just to help lighten your load ;-))

Do a search on this forum. Change criteria from "active" to "both" and type in "lightforce" then hit GO. You'll get a gazillion responses. I know I'm biased, but Lightforce simply are the best light and I've tried a few different brands over the years.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 147265

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:18

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:18
What sort of vehicle do you have? I have seen HID inserts for Patrols adn combined with two HID pencil beams and two HID spread beams, it in indeed daylike in front of the vehicle
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147296

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:07

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:07
Hey Bonz,
Quote: "I have seen HID inserts for Patrols"...........
Are you talking about GU inserts of a HID type? If so, do you know what brand they are/were, please?
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 400745

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:53

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:53
Yes Bill GU ones. Nick Mannell has them on his comp truck. Call Mannell Motors and ask for Nick, he should be able to steer you in the expensive direction, they were quite spectacular

www.mannellmotors.com.au I believe

go for it

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 400749

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:23

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:23
Thanks Bonz
Mum's the word mate; okay???? ..... I just ordered a set of xenonoz inserts!!!
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 400980

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:24

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:24
Are we talkin' about a simple H4 globe replacement kit (insert), or a complete headlight replacement here?? (yeah, yeah, I know 'bout the ballasts etc).... High & low beam, or low beam only (as many of 'em appear to be)??.. Watts???..... DOLLARS??????

Catch ya later.....
Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401069

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:18

Thursday, Jan 12, 2006 at 22:18
AFAIK Ed.C. (lots of dots there) they are complete headlamp replacements, the reflectors on Nicks GU looked much snazzier than my GU's. So I would say its full units, Roachie will no doubt elucidate

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401429

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:49

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:49
These are just the globes, wiring loom and ballast packs (separate one for each side). They fit into the back of the existing headlight, just like replacing a normal globe. The ballast pack can be mounted remotely a couple of feet away and there is NO wiring cutting, slicing etc required. The plug that comes off the back of the original globe simply plugs into a lead that goes to the ballast pack, then another cable goes from the ballast pack to the HID globe. The globe is High/Low beam. Fifteen ninety five.
FollowupID: 401570

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:22

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 17:22
Thanks blokes....
Actually been lookin' at a coupla these conversion kits on ebay (mild curiousity at this stage)....
One in particular which the seller claims to use German-made Osram burners (globes), & Jap-made ballasts, so presumably the quality of these should be ok (maybe)....
Roachie, I presume you'll be postin' a report when ya get yours fitted up & workin'???

Catch ya ater... Ed. C.
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401616

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 16:33

Saturday, Jan 14, 2006 at 16:33
Okay blokes......Xenon HIDs are now up and running...did it last night. Hardest part was getting the air box, dual battery cradle etc out, so that I could get clear access to the back of the left light. I mounted the ballast for the left light right beside the light (next to the radiator). The one on the right was a bit easier to do and I mounted the ballast pack on a bracket which is attached to the inside of the mudguard, so that the ballast sits in the hollow made by the shape of the windscreen washer bottle. The cables supplied would allow the ballast to be located a bit further away if need be.
I took it for a short test drive last night and they are certainly bright and white. But I still think the Lightforce 240s are necessary.
As regards the 240's, I've just broken another couple of laws this morning, by mounting them up on the roof rack. I haven't tried them there yet (obviously; as it's still daylight...doh!!!), but all seems as though it should be okay. If Mr Plod pulls me up, I'll say they are for off-road use only. Then I've just gotta hope I don't have one coming towards me out on the highway some night ;-))
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 401779

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:47

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:47
Thanks Roachie....
Is there a noticeable *actual* increase in light output, or is it more of a "perception" due to the whiter "colour temperature"???
Is there any "bluish tinge" to the light?? (this actually reduces light output, IMO)....
(wish I could see a set o' these workin' so I could determine if they're worth the $$ outlay)....

Catch ya later...
Ed. C.
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401858

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:37

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:37
G'day Ed,
At this stage it is difficult to tell, as the drive I did was only in some back streets here in town.
However, they are definitely much brighter than standard, which is what I was looking for as it is always a pain when you dip down for oncoming traffic and can't see a bloody thing on low beam.
There is no blue tinge that I can tell........but the Lightforce 240s are definitely YELLOW by comparison. I've been thinking of getting a pair of blue covers for the 240s as they are supposed to make the light "whiter".
As to whether the difference is noticeable enough to justify the $$$, well you'll just have to make a trip over here and see them for yourself!!!!! hahahahaha Now, when is that next EO get-together???
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 401876

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:09

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:09
Ed from what I have seen theyre a white light, not bluish at all which I agree diminishes usable light and seeable light from my experience.

My besy experience with lights was as the start marshall on Stage 1 (night) of the 05 Outback challenge, got to see all types (55 in all) of lights and setups, but also got to see the pattern they threw, some were very "spotty" others washed the area with even intense light. Nicks GU with the HID headlights and spotties was the latter, bright and very easy to see things, not bluish at all.

Not sure if I can ante up the dollars though. I have 100/130 halogen in my GU headlights and am very happy with them on the high beam low beam thing Roachie is talking about.

Roachie, go the blue lenses they will definitely change the output to more like the HID's

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 401887

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:25

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:25
Well ya never know, Roachie......
Eldest son lives in Perth, so SWMBO & I *always* have a ready-made "excuse" to travel over that way.. although nowadays we prefer to travel "through the middle", a detour via your locality is never out of the question.... (next time, maybe:-))))..........

Might head over to ebay & check out the HID conversions there:))

Catch ya later....
Ed
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401889

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:35

Sunday, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:35
G'day Bonz,
Thanks for that....
(I got sidetracked while "talkin" to Roachie, & your post came in while I was "out":-))))
Catch ya later.....
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 401890

Reply By: russ36 - Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:29

Sunday, Jan 08, 2006 at 23:29
i have an 04 hilux[the model just b4 the new radical looking one came out].. are you suggesting lightforce may make an insert that will replace my factory toyota assemblies, therefore making them near impossible to steal?
AnswerID: 147300

Follow Up By: Member - David B (QLD) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:01

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 16:01
Russ36 i upgraded the headlight bulbs to IPF Fatboys and went with L/force XGT 240's thay do the job very well.

Dave.
FollowupID: 400744

Reply By: Smitty - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:49

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 08:49
I have a pair of NARVA HID lamps and they can't be beaten. They cost around $2000 each but are worth every penny. The set I have aren't the usual driving lights, they are the ones used on the big earth moving machinary in mines --- but they give out the exact same light as your regular Narva HID lamps. I've matched these with a set of Narva Targa 100W lamps pointed out to the sides and upgraded my normal lights.

AnswerID: 147331

Reply By: hound - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:56

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:56
I have used and seen many different lights, value for money you can't go past Lightforce XGT's @ around $240 each compared to $1200 odd for HID's.

Go for a headlight up kit 90/145's and a set of XGT's. One of the worst things with good driving lights is going from high beam to low beam, unless you have really good headlights which the 2004 hilux's don't.
AnswerID: 147348

Follow Up By: gramps - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 14:46
"unless you have really good headlights which the 2004 hilux's don't"

Amen to that. The dashboard lights are brighter :)))

Still hoping for an early 'Lightforce' Chrissy present LOL
FollowupID: 400931

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:26

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:26
check out www.outbackproven.com.au. I got my XGT's from here. Decent price and prompt service. DAMN good lights.
AnswerID: 147353

Reply By: Gossy - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:21

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:21
the general consesis seems to be Lightforce and I agree. I have two 240 XGT (one spot one combo). Brilliant light.
If looking for a smaller light I also recommened the IPF 900XS. I also have a pair of these (never have enough lighting as you have now found out). The IPF 900XS put out a very good light for their size. I have just got these in the past few weeks after much investigation (including advice from exploreoz).

If size isn't an issue for fitment then I recommened the Lightforce.
http://www.gossadventures.com/warraweena.html
has some photos of when the lightforce are on the vehicle (off when around town).

Good luck! The spotlight market is a classic example of you get what you pay for.
AnswerID: 147369

Reply By: govo - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:08

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:08
l agree lightforce xgt's are a good light, but for sheer toughness you can't go past the hella 4000 range which seem to be the most common light that truckies use.
l was with a mate a few years ago heading back to Longreach from
Muttaburra to see the 3'rd state of origin game and we hit a big red while doing 120 kmh...buckled his steel bar bad but the hella 4000's he had on stayed intact, this was one of the reason's l bought them.
AnswerID: 147517

Reply By: hound - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:55

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 09:55
If your going to get rally 4000's keep away from any water crossings they end up looking like a fish bowl half filled with water, have a set at home that are wrecked.
AnswerID: 147550

Reply By: russ36 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:44
thanks to all who have taken the time to respond, and safe driving for 2006!
AnswerID: 147652

Reply By: QIK60 - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:01

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:01
hello all

How much light do we need to justify the extraordinary costs we are talking about here. We do a lot of touring but most of the driving is done during the daylight hours. I may be old school technology light wise here but I have a pair of cibie super oscars and a 90/145 headlight upgrade and at 100kph my experience is that I am seeing dangers well off in the distance. I have been in a vehicle with HID lights fitted and whilst they are significantly brighter, how much of that extra brightness is actually useful. My experience is that whilst driving at night on the busier highways the spotties are of little use as you are constantly dimming to low beam. However on the outback roads of low density they are a necessity. I suggest the best headlight upgrade you can afford and a spread spot combo to compliment them.
best of luck
AnswerID: 147765

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:10

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:10
Qik60,

Tend to agree. Have'nt actually seen the HID lights in operation but they are well beyond my budget and requirements anyway. Can just imagine my mood if the light fingered brigade decided to borrow them :((((
FollowupID: 401065

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:16

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:16
Serious Gramps, have done a night run up Toolangi, 3am, no moonlight was dark as Kamals ring... This dude was doing the steps, and Ive never seen light like these HID's. Almost TOO much if possible.

If I won lotto I'd get some, but until then...
FollowupID: 401066

Follow Up By: gramps - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:22

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:22
Thanks Truckster. Mate, I don't doubt their effectiveness given what I've read on this Forum in a number of posts but like you, Lotto is my best chance LOLOLOL
FollowupID: 401068

Sponsored Links