Ozi CE & Magellan Nav Setup

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:08
ThreadID: 29494 Views:1727 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Recently l purchased a iPaq 4700 to use with Ozi CE. I have a Magellan Meridian Gold, but have been told a bluetooth gps would be better. However l want to evaluate the system with the Magellan first.

Any ideas where l can get a suitable lead to connect the two together?
I was thinking to not buy a mount yet, in case the screen is too small, thus just a connector into the normal mount connection.

Bugger - Back to work tomorow!

Cheers
Beast Of Bodmin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:41

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 09:41
I had trouble tracking down a lead to connect my Meridian to an old HP Jornada PDA. I had to get a serial lead from the US via Ebay and a null modem and a lead from that to the PDA from Expansys website. Expansys have loads of different options so I would try them firts.

I also got a mount for the GPS from the states as they are way too expensive here.

Pat
AnswerID: 147344

Follow Up By: Beast Of Bodmin - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:59

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:59
Cheers Pat,

I just called Expansys (Collingwood) and they dont deal with Magellan stuff at all. The guy never gave any other options - eg if there is a mount for the pda that combines an input that could be used for the Meridian.

Not very helpful chap, but admitted to not having much idea about what l wanted either!

I will look at their UK site, as there may be some differences.

I have a serial lead and usb/serial convertor already fro the pc, but this won't connect to the iPaq. what is the function of your null modem? Does this connect the two units?

Cheers
FollowupID: 400679

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:16

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:16
The null modem allows me to join the pDA cable to the serial GPS cable. it's all a bit messy tbh. I'm actually looking at other options at the moment. Navman or PDA and Navman sleeve.
FollowupID: 400690

Reply By: prado4x4 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:09

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:09
Check out Brian at GPS-OZ

Looks like they have a combined power and data cable for a Merridian to 4700
combination.

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/cables.htm#Combo%20power%20and%20data%20cables%20-%20iPAQ%20to%20Magellan

Hope it helps.

John
AnswerID: 147367

Follow Up By: MikeyS - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 13:39

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 13:39
I agree with Prado. I bought the Meridian to Ipaq power and data cable from GPS-OZ. Only problem was that the Meridian connector was not a genuine Meridian one, and it didn't lock into the opening in the cradle for the GPS. I wanted to be able to unclip the GPS from the cradle easily, which the genuine connector allows, but the GPS-OZ connector had to be screwed onto the back plate of the GPS. So I had to do a bit of rewiring with a genuine connector which was not a problem.
MkeyS
FollowupID: 400712

Sponsored Links