Rear View Camera - Nav Screens

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:07
ThreadID: 29503 Views:2265 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Well its time for me to completely succumb to modern technology mainly because of a new canopy and partly to save me haveing to do the old swivel fifty times when backing - must be an age thing.

I'm travelling from the Pilbara next week, cyclone permitting, for a week in Perth and thought if I can make a decision from here it would save me a bit of stuffing around when in town.

The problem is that I want to fit a rear view system in the 75 series, as yet unpurcahsed, and also incorporate the info from my laptop which has the mapping/gps tracking info on screen. Seems to make a bit of sense if I can use the same screen and then the lap top can be closed up and simply used for its computing .

I have absolutely no preference for make or model but obviously want a continuous display and ability to switch from either the rear view camera to the mapping at the flick of a switch - push of a button.

I can't mount an in dash type as the dash is already full of other electronics
My questions/problems are

1. Is there a preference for roof flip down screens or dash mounted?
2. Are the screens LCD ot otherwise and what is their operation life?
3. Is there much delay on start up for the rear view camera to become active?
4. What is the low light/ night vision on the cameras like?
5. Any drawbacks to the system?
6. Do you leave it powered to aux batt or wire it through accessories.
7. Any reccomendations make/model price and who to trust.
8. Screen size - any preference.

Thanks for any input.

John G

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:13

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 14:13
Howdy John ,

A good set of questions . I will be most interested to read the answers . Seems like a good idea to use it as the computer screen as well .

If you mounted it on the dashboard , would the cops book you for obstructing the vision ? Or are you thinking of putting it below the level of the dash ?

Where are you in regards to the path of the cyclone ?

Cheers ,

Willie .
AnswerID: 147403

Follow Up By: John L G - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:22

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 15:22
Hi Willie

I'm in Newman doing a locum at the hospital so will probably just catch the tail here. We get constant updates here for the other health centres
and it would seem, at last report anyway, a yellow has been declared for Karratha/Dampier where it is supposed to cross the coast. That won't pose a problem to the hospital at that site because it was blown away some years and was rebuilt. Government architects were involved and it resembles something like a bomb shelter with the entire hospital being surrounded by large dirt earth banks. Not attractive.

Karratha and Dampier normally survive these blows without too many worries as the towns were company built, however other coastal towns are a bit less stringently built.

Back to the mounting of this screen, I suppose your question regards visibility is a fair one because at the moment apart from the odd picture of one I still haven't actually seen one in the flesh. I noticed Phil SA has pics of his in his rig profile and that is obviously one that pops out of an "in dash" mount and very practical so something may have to be moved in the final result.

I suppose one thing about the trusty old 75 series is that you sit quite high in the cab so forward vision shouldn't be much of an issue however usable cab space in these vehicles is always a problem and avoiding too much clutter is a concern. I have seen where they have a visor screen but I think that is primarily for a rear view camera only.

Ciao for now

John G
FollowupID: 400732

Reply By: Flash - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:22

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 17:22
I have a camera and "in rear view mirror" monitor for the back of my caravan.
Can answer a couple of your questions- atleast for mine anyway.

LCD screen should have no real life limit.
Only about 1/2 sec delay when turned on.
Low light performance is good (Has IR illumination LEDS in the camera, but you geet a big "Halo" effect around bright lights such as headlights.
Mine has a separate on off switch as I don't use it all the time, but a friend does as he has drawers with no rear vision other than the camera.
Mine was from Safety Vision Systems in Victoria about a year ago.
Very happy indeed with it.
Perhaps a bigger monitor would be good, but the mirror setup is 10/10 for convenience.
http://www.safetyvisionsystems.com.au/

Cheers
AnswerID: 147435

Follow Up By: John L G - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 18:10

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 18:10
Flash

Thanks for that. Will have a sift throught the net and see what I find.

I suppose a question I would need to satisfy myself with is, will the resolution of these monmitors be adequate for the maps coming from the laptop?

Cheers

John G
FollowupID: 400804

Follow Up By: Flash - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:01

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:01
Oh, BTW I neglected to mention one other advantage of having the monitor in the mirror, and one thing to consider whatever you go for...
Thieves don't notice the mirror, but would notice most other systems.
Make sure you get something inconspicuous or it will not be long before you have a brick thru your window and something missing...
Cheers
FollowupID: 400908

Reply By: Peter - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:36

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:36
John G
Going through the same process myself at the moment. Was thinking of the sun visor style monitor but after checking the FAQ on the Brashs Imports website, they have withdrawn them from sale because they are apparently illegal in Australia.
Now going for a 7inch monitor with a switchbox and single IR camera.
Probably around the $400-$500 mark all up.
Check out the Brashs Imports site and also the Hidden Cameras website
Good luck with it. I'll update on when I get mine up and running (end of next week hopefully)
AnswerID: 147489

Reply By: Member - Alanc - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:15

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:15
Hi John G

Contact Ryan at Alberts Car Stereo 61 Russel Street Morley Ph 08 9276 5678 or ryan@carstereodotcomdotau who I know has had experience with various rear view systems, He is their No. 1 installer and I'm sure he would be willing to answer questions and make recommendations. I have seen some of his car stereo custom work ,its impressive and he knows his stuff. By the way, I don't work for this business or have any affiliation with it , I've known Ryan for many years and he has done some excellent home theatre and car stereo work for me during this time.

Hope "Clare" does not mess up your planned visit to the big smoke.

Regards

Alanc
AnswerID: 147505

Reply By: Kazza055 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:55

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:55
John, there is a business in Hamilton Hill that was at the last 4X4 show and they have a good range of cameras and screens at a reasonable price. I picked up their card but can not lay my fingers on it at the moment. They are on Carrington St just south of South St intersection. It is not a flash looking shop but there range and prices were good.

I have purchased mine from eBay and these prices would be compare-able but it is nice to know you can go see them if it doesn't work.

I have mounted my 7" TV on top of the dash of my patrol. and while not in use it makes an excellent hat rack (which protects it from the sun and also sticky fingers).

Have a good trip down.

Bob Cheers
AnswerID: 147511

Reply By: Ray Bates - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:08

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:08
Hi. I have a camera mounted on the rear of my caravan an a LCD monitor on the dash. I have had to make a shroud around the monitor so that I can see it. It does the job for which I had intended but I would not have baught it if I had known.
AnswerID: 147515

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:36

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:36
goodday john
try www.brashimports.com.au
mate bought remote camera and reciever from them works ok with full 9volts they sell o/h or in dash have a look at the site

steve
AnswerID: 147663

Follow Up By: John L G - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:26

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 11:26
Thanks all for the words of wisdom.

We have only just got the internet back on in Newman today so was unable to respond to your info of the last few days.

Input much appreciated and most of those contacts listed above I hadn,t even heard of so will get on the machine now that I can and make some further enquiries.

Clare pretty much left us alone here apart from some rain but seems i have to delay my trip south for another week and go to Karratha.

Thanks all once again for your input

John G
FollowupID: 401061

Sponsored Links