Confused new guy

Submitted: Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:07
ThreadID: 29517 Views:3779 Replies:13 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,
great forum.
I planned to buy a Patrol 4.2TD on my move to Oz in March for some good camping and touring holidays. After suitable training of course!
However reading your forum I maybe better off buying a Cruiser 100 series TD.
Q1 Could you give me pros/cons for the Patrol / Cruiser argument I have around £38K AUD to spend.

Q2 Is $10k AUD enough cash to start out modifying the 4x4 with decent dual batteries, solar panel, uprated suspenion , larger fuel tanks and a roof tent?

Thanks for advice.
Cheers
Andy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:24

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:24
You should be able to pick up a fully kitted out '01 ish Patrol without having to spend too much on mods. You'd prob need to buy your roof tent and solar panel extra though.

Leroy
AnswerID: 147486

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:29

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:29
With 38K I would be going with a Turbo diesel patrol.

As long as you don’t plan on doing any heavy towing you will be fine, Some people experience their 4.2 Nissan’s heating up a bit when towing a heavy load and making the engine work wile towing, despite this it is still a good Truck and no IFS ether which is your only Option with 100S cruiser.

10K will see you well on your way, and some change I would think.
AnswerID: 147488

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:31

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:31
Should read
no IFS ether which is your only Option with a turbo 100S cruiser.
FollowupID: 400834

Reply By: arthurking83 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:58

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:58
38K Pounds Sterling!!!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!!

You could buy the Nissan Australia Operation with that kind of money!

:))

That's equvalent to around $100K AUD! (give or take :) )

That'll get you plenty of offroad gear down here, but don't "waste" your money on stuff you may never need!!

cheers, and welcome (for when you get here!)
AnswerID: 147497

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:10

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:10
I was a bit confused by the amount too. But he did say 38K AUD (but he had the GBP symbol in front where the $ sign should have been).

The question I have is why have you shied-away from your initial idea of getting the 4.2TD Patrol? If it's because of dipsticks like me who bleat-on a bit about the temp gauge, just bear in mind that I am well in the minority as far as asking a helluva lot of my Patrol. I have it stacked up with too much gear and then I whack the palace (aka Ultimate Camper Trailer) on the back and wonder why she runs a bit warm. Note that even my poor, over-worked rig has NEVER overheated. It's just that Nissans have a more sensitive temperature gauge than most other vehicles. They all get hot when you try to punt 4.5tonne along the highway at 100k/h on a 40 degree day; it's just that some vehicles have a less-sensitive factory temperature gauge sender unit, which does not show variations the way mine does.
You'll get a good 4.2TD Patrol with bullbar etc for $38K and the roof-top tent will likely be the most expensive addition (say $3K), plus a few more $K for the other bits and pieces.
Good luck.....hope to get to meet you when you're over this way.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 400848

Follow Up By: Andy H - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:50

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:50
My bad!
$38K Oz dollars.
The reason I may go Toyota is the bad press you guys have given Nissan. The fuel pump story on the Nissan was amazing!
FollowupID: 400881

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:59

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 21:59
Do you have shoelaces?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 147498

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:25

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 22:25
Get a troopy.

Read this thoroughly before you come over .
Copy and paste
http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html
AnswerID: 147507

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:44

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:44
Andy,
If you want to do camping and touring holidays why not buy a second hand vehicle that has been purpose set-up for that?

There are good reasons why certain vehicles are equipped for this purpose by the hire companies. You can buy such a vehicle second hand (used) or new. Here are some of the vehicles commonly used - have a close look at the Bushcamper and the Adventurer(copy and paste link):

http://www.britz.com/

They are both Toyotas and the first vehicle is commonly referred to as a 'Troopy' and it will go almost anywhere.

Buy new or used through a car broker eg http://www.carbroker.com.au/ (there are others and I am not affiliated with any).

Before buying join The NRMA or motorists' organisation in the State of arrival and get them to check the vehicle before completing the purchase (ie before signing anything). Here is the NRMA link: http://www.mynrma.com.au/

You can start liaising with the broker and the NRMA straight away to get information. Remember that the NRMA gives independent advice.

It there was one or two travelling a basic Troopy not even in campervan set-up would do. They are huge in the back and you can sleep in the back or erect a tent.
Apart from that you only need th most basic camping kit - eg airbeds, gas stove large icebox (a 12Volt Engel 40L fridge is great if you have extra dollars).

Diesel Toyotas come with dual batteries. You could add basic recovery equipment: snatch strap, tyre repair kit and air compressor (for tyres).

But almost all of Australia is sealed road (bitumen) although there is some gravel. You can get almost everywhere without all of the extra suspension stuff, extra fuel tanks etc. If in doubt you can always buy a few jerry cans anyhow.

If the day comes when you want to do rugged off-road in remote areas then buy what modifications are necessary, but I reckon you would have seen most of the 'good stuff' that Australia offers befdore needing that sort of kit. The main reason most people use 4X4 vehicles for touring is for clearance if needed, not because of the roads.

EV700
AnswerID: 147526

Follow Up By: ev700 - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:57

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:57
This site will tell you what the new and used car prices are in Australia. Again, copy and paste in your browser window:

http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehicle/index.php?make=TOYO&family=LCLANDCRU

'Redbook' is also used by dealers so you know what vehicles should cost. It will give you a benchmark for a 'good' price through a broker.
;-)
FollowupID: 400868

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:58

Monday, Jan 09, 2006 at 23:58
Stick with the GU.. Cheaper to buy, and easier to sell if you intend to.

Dual batteries upto $400
Solar Panels Sky is the limit
Suspension $700 upwards
fueltank $1000
rooftop tent $2000

good luck
AnswerID: 147527

Reply By: ev700 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 00:10

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 00:10
And is it a 'wish' list or a 'to do' list?

I'd take a newer vehicle rather than load up an older vehicle with a lot of aftermarket modifications.
AnswerID: 147530

Follow Up By: Andy H - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:46

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 03:46
This is a definate thing to do.
My cousin makes camping treks into the desert/outback.
Its something I cannot miss.
FollowupID: 400880

Reply By: Gossy - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:12

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:12
I haven't read the whole forum as I am a bit busy at work (I guess I shouldn't even be replying to this!). Stay well clear of the IFS on the landcruiser if you plan going bush. The base model does not have this so it's fine. Both are good veh's but the cruiser is a bit bigger inside for storage. The Patrol is on average $10,000 cheaper though which enables you to buy lots of accessories to make it a very bush capable vehicle. This was the thinking that I had anyway when I bought my Patrol.

Good luck with your decision but either way you will be pleased (as long as you stay clear of the IFS).
AnswerID: 147564

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:03

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:03
Hi Andy

I can only say good things about the Patrols. I have had mine for nearly a year now and it's given me nothing but joy to drive, except for the fuel bill everything has been good.

For 10k you can do more than enough. But like other said you should look at buying a truck that is already ready for touring, but the cons of that is you know the truck has done a bit of rough work and touring and the gear might be old. But if you are in the mood for a new setup then just get a second hand truck and get all the modifications and bit and pieces done yourself. Then you choose what you want and where and how you want it.
AnswerID: 147573

Reply By: Member - Luxoluk - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:28

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 13:28
I you want to do the outback thing then the TD Troopy would be more than fine...look around at what others are driving out there (repeatedly that is). TD 4.2 GU is also a terrific vehicle but a bit flash for a desert hack. Cheers
AnswerID: 147592

Reply By: Member - Pennywise - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 15:38

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 15:38
Hi Andy, my 80 series diesel is available for purchase, excellant truck with most of the modifications already done, check out the ad "ready to travel oz".
Cheers Pennywise
AnswerID: 147605

Reply By: Member - Collyn R (WA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:26

Friday, Jan 13, 2006 at 14:26
I have one of each so have no bias. The Troopy is a better vehicle around the property, the Nissan is a better (and far more restful) vehicle on the road.

Less need to modify the Nissan as the rear LSD is far more effective than on Troopy.

Both are bloody good vehicles - but my choice (marginally) is the Nissan TD 4.2 as it has a much tougher transmission.

The ideal? A Nissan TD with the Troopy turbo-diesel donk.
Collyn Rivers
AnswerID: 148311

Sponsored Links