Hub Oilers

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 07:40
ThreadID: 29526 Views:3239 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone used hub oilers on trailers or caravans? There is one called DURAHUB sold by Supercheep. Are they worth buying?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Inland Sailor - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:10

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:10
I've had them on my boat trailor for a couple of years. They work really well. Much easier way to keep your bearings lubricated than with grease. If any water gets in , just simply drain them, flush with some petrol and refill them. I use an oil can for the job. Takes only minutes to do both bearings.
AnswerID: 147552

Reply By: Flash - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:56

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:56
Yes,
used them on my caravan, with very mixed results.
As for the bearings- they love it as they get perfect lubrication and run very cool (much better lubrication than grease.)
However....
If your seals leak even a drop or two, then brake linings (and magnets) on drum brakes get contaminated.
I tried everything to get a good seal, (tried about four different brands of seals) and finally gave up after endless electric brake problems and lots of time and money spent cleaning and finally REPLACING brake linings on my brakes.
Like I said- bearings Love them . Brakes don't.
If I could get around the seal/brake problem, I'd swear by them.
AnswerID: 147559

Follow Up By: Phillip - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 06:59

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 06:59
Thanks for the replys. I intended to put them on my caravan, but I don`t need problems with brakes.
FollowupID: 401031

Follow Up By: Dilligaf - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 13:46

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 13:46
from a caravan and trailer dealer with heaps experience said to me to adjust wheel bearings every 12 months and place 1/2 teaspoon of automatic transmission fluid in cap and repack every 80k or 4 years. he did not recommend these automatic things. his advice has worked for me as never had bearing failure. bearings to date have needed minute adjusting so advice must have been good.
FollowupID: 401093

Follow Up By: G.T. - Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:32

Monday, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:32
Flash --- Is your leaking seal problem common to all caravan axles / braking systems or is there different systems on the market ? ie is the problem common to your brand of axle / braking system or to all types ?
My next caravan is to get the oilers, I would like to know if your problem is an isolated one or not. Regards G.T.
FollowupID: 402069

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:33

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:33
GT.
My van (previous one) had standard ALKO axles & brakes), Ford slimline bearings.
As I said, I tried every seal I could get my hands on, tried smoothing the sealing surface with ultrafine wet and dry paper, and finally gave up in disgust. Cost me a lot of time and money (New brake linings)- but boy am I expert at getting those hubs off and on in a hurry! As one guy said at bearing supplies, they're designed as a grease seal, not oil. They never lost enough oil for lube to be a problem, just enough to bugger the brakes.
If you can get around the seal problem they'd be great, but with drum brakes getting contaminated it's just not worth it. PITA
Cheers
FollowupID: 406418

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:49

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 10:49
"As one guy said at bearing supplies, they're designed as a grease seal, not oil."

Doesn't the Dura-Hub kit come with it's own seals?
FollowupID: 406421

Follow Up By: Flash - Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:12

Friday, Feb 03, 2006 at 11:12
Shaker,
When I bought mine...about 18 months ago I guess, it was from Bainbridge at Cleveland, as they both designed and manufactured them. They also sent me their recommended seals, which leaked just enough to bugger the brakes.
I believe the Dura-Hub is exactly the same thing (I've looked at them) being marketed by a different mob maybe???-have no idea if they've done a deal or whatever.
The seals look the same, but if you'd like to try them then go for it and let me know how you go. (Be prepared to tear your hair out)
As I said, I spent an awful lot of time , money and frustration trying to solve the problem. As an ex engineer, I really like the idea of bearings running in oil rather than grease. I tried about four different types of seal. (One particular seal actually leaked a lot, and despite there being only a VERY small amount of oil left, the bearings were cool AND in perfect condition after 400klms when I pulled them off- more than I can say for my brakes!)
Also as I said bloody great for bearings, bloody lousy for brakes (especially electric drums). If you get even a drop or two of oil on magnets and brakes, then they're useless.
If you're talking a small trailer with no brakes then go for it.
If you're talking perhaps some kind of disc brake where the odd drop of oil won't end up on the disc- go for it.
Cheers
FollowupID: 406426

Sponsored Links