Gold prospecting in Qld

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:00
ThreadID: 29529 Views:25164 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I would like some feedback from ExploreOz people who are do a little gold prospecting.
Having dreamed for years about owning a metal detector, I finally saved enough 'pennies' to buy a good one - GP3500 (not 'pennies' either).
Done the research - off to the store - and was told - 'If you live in Victoria or WA - buy one. If you live in SE Qld, buy a fishing rod instead'.
And this, from the Qld dealer - with the unit on the bench in front of me.
Question - is he right??
He could have sold me the unit and made the sale - quickly.
I don't for a moment expect to find enough to even pay for the unit, but as an avid offroad camper, given the places we go in Qld, I thought there would be at least a fair chance of finding some (with the right gear).

Perhaps he is one of the few remaining honest shopkeepers around.
If you are a geologist, prospector, or own a metal detector - would appreciate your feedback.
Thanks.................Keith
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:26

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:26
Keith
Am going through the same process myself. Am going to purchase a metal detector so that while the wife reads a book I can be out and about searching for lost treasures. I'm not really looking for gold as such (wouldn't complain if I found some though). Looking more for coins and lost trinkets etc. Always thought there must be lots of bits and pieces fallen from peoples pockets in campgrounds and on the beaches etc.
Have a look at this site which is based in Queensland and has some pretty good tips what to look for and the best places etc.
http://www.treasureenterprises.com/
Good luck with it - might bump into you somewhere when we're finding our fortunes!
AnswerID: 147553

Reply By: glenno(qld) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:32

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:32
Hi Keith_A . I have owned metal detectors since the seventies but never good ones . Minelab 1600 was the best one i think . I have found lots of coins but never any gold . You certainly have the right gear . Here is a link for you .

gold
AnswerID: 147555

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:53

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:53
Geez Glenno, that was handy, I too have been lurking on this subject. Didn't realise that there was gold in Ennogera Ck Brisbane - won't have to go far after all.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 400905

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:57

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:57
Have you been to treasure enterprises at coopers plains .

treasure enterprises
FollowupID: 400907

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:04
Thanks, have added it to my list. So do you detect? Would think it fits in well with camping and 4WDing, just another good justification to own this expensive machinery and another excuse to buy some toys.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 400909

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:10

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:10
I have a biscuit tin full of coins from 1858 english penny to $2 coins . I loved it when the $2 coins came out . They are so small and easy to lose . The most interesting thing i found was a hand grenade shaped object on the beach with a brass covering on one end . Took it to the brisbane museum to identify it and they wrote a letter back saying they thought it was something off a sailing ship . I hope this inspires someone . Its a lot of fun .
FollowupID: 400910

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:37

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:37
Perhaps he was referring to that type of detector being used in a particular geological environment ?
AnswerID: 147556

Follow Up By: glenno(qld) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:55

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:55
I think he was saying you wont have much luck finding any gold in qld . Even down in the golden triangle (wedderburn,dunolly etc) it has been done over and they will shoot you if you wander onto a private patch .
FollowupID: 400906

Reply By: Scubaroo - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:22

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:22
Keith,

Try joining the MSN Gold Detecting group - it's Australian based and there are several Queensland based users. Some very successful.

AnswerID: 147578

Reply By: japmel - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:29

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:29
I have been detecting for about 8 years now and am currently useing a Minelab GP3000. And I have to agree with the dealer, If you live in South East Queensland and don't intend to travel for the sole purpose of finding gold then don't buy the detector.
It's a lot of money to outlay.

Given where you live I would be looking more at detecting some of those beaches you have down that way, So I would recommend you buy a Minelab Sovereign coin & relic detector.

Gold is hard to find and when it is found nobody is ever going to put it back in the ground, But people are always going to drop coins and jewelery.

Just my thoughts
Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 147579

Follow Up By: Nebster - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:54

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:54
I agree with japmel "Gold is hard to find" I currently use a late model GP Extreme would love to have a 3500 but the gold doesn't come that easy that I can convince the Minister for finance that I can get a new one.

These links might help too
Geoscience Australia
Alluvial Gold Prospectors MSN

A good book is Gold and Ghost, but the price of it ranges from about 350 to 500 dollars and then some.

But at the end of the day gold is where you find it.

All the best, see you in the fields.
FollowupID: 400917

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:56

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:56
Hi Proberly japmel&nebster are right cheers brian. I would say get a gp extreme.I prospect in
WA and its not easy to find gold. We have 2 gp,s which we got when they first came out. They are still a good detector and you could
proberly get one for half the price of a 3500. If you were doing it for a
living yes get one but for a weekender I think a gp will be as good.
Dosn't matter which machine you have you still have to go over a piece
to find it.
FollowupID: 400970

Reply By: Member - David 0- Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 20:18
Well I am not a geologist, not a prospector, but have studied the history of the gold mines in this area. If your detector is for detecting nuggets, you will be hard pressed to find any, as most of the gold in this part of QLD is alluvial. I know nothing about detectors, but assume they would struggle picking up specs of "colour" and you would be better of with other methods.

The main "reefing" areas are Charters Towers and Ravenswood, and they have been picked over for nearly 150 years. So with my extremely limited knowledge, I'd agree with the advice you got.

Still I bet you can have some fun finding other stuff.
AnswerID: 147660

Reply By: Big Woody - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:55

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 23:55
Hi Keith,

I am not what you would call a detector as I have only ever gone detecting on our own property (9000 acres near Monto - Qld).
I have an older Minelab 2100 and have half a vegimite jar of small nuggets all about the size of your fingernails in diameter and one big one about the size of your thumbnail in diameter.
Don't know what they are worth but a good conversation piece.

From what I've heard the new Minelabs mean it can be viable to go to any old goldfields or mines and give it a run over because they are so sensitive.
Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Brett
AnswerID: 147704

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:03

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:03
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply.
It seems the advice of the shop keeper was in fact accurate.
It would seem I need to alter my goals from Gold to coins/relics. The chances of success are clearly much higher. Will look into the Minelab Sovereign coin & relic detector.
Again, thank you for responding........Kind regards..........Keith
AnswerID: 147749

Sponsored Links