Prado perfomance upgrade

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 12:06
ThreadID: 29533 Views:1619 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking to get more low down performance from my 2002 Prado 3.4V6 auto. Has anyone done any modifcations and can give an idea of the benefits/issues.

cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: desert - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:03

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:03
Hard to be subjective about "low down performance" with an auto? Does it not shift down a gear soon enough, or what? The torque convertor should give you all the torque you need at low speed? If not, fit smaller tyres.
AnswerID: 147607

Reply By: AndrewW - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 16:12
You can change the main muffler for a straight through type. Will increase the noise a bit though.

Check out www.lcool.org and there are links to a Yahoo group. There has been messages on there about performance improvements. Basically they are the muffler ($400 or less), a unichip ($1250+) or a supercharger($$$$$$). The later is the best, some will argue that the other two don't have any real noticable effect.

I own a 3.4 V6 Hilux, and changed the muffler. Its a bit noisy now, but it does go slightly better. The Hilux would be much different in the noise department than the Prado, as the Hilux has virtually no sound deadening.

I believe there are even extractors on the market now, but they are expensive to fit due to the tight confines of the engine bay.

I was going to get a unichip, but my lease is up in a year, so i don't think I will bother. Would be good to drive one with a unichip to see what its like though.

Supercharger is the way to go, brings it up to nearly the power of the new 4lt V6 Prado, but it would cost heaps, like $5k at least.

Andrew
AnswerID: 147610

Follow Up By: Prado02 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:47

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2006 at 19:47
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the feedback. I have changed the exhaust from CAT back and that certainly made some difference. Just want to get some more torque for towing (Jayco) and for the really boggy sand. I had looked at the supercharger but as you indiacte $5K is a bit over the top.

cheers
FollowupID: 400967

Sponsored Links